Moon Guide

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mstavely

Moon Guide

Unread postby mstavely » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:55 am

Good Morning yall', was looking at my hunting journal from last year and was curious if anyone had the moonguide from 2017 for reference? I saw my biggest mature bucks on 10/25, 10/31, 11/1, 11/7, 11/8, 11/11, 11/12. I know this was due to pre rut and rut activity. The weather was warmer and had the moon phase either waning gibbous, last crescent or waning crescent. But just curious if any of the days was a blood moon that i have read about etc. I am on the eastern shore of Maryland. Just fig i would reach out. I just like to keep learning and putting the pieces together. Any insight appreciated. Thanks!

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Re: Moon Guide

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:02 am

For additional data I saw my largest buck on 11/01/2017. It was at 5:00 PM. An hour before quitting time.

That same deer passed through the same area on 11/09/2017 at noon.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:54 am

mstavely wrote:Good Morning yall', was looking at my hunting journal from last year and was curious if anyone had the moonguide from 2017 for reference? I saw my biggest mature bucks on 10/25, 10/31, 11/1, 11/7, 11/8, 11/11, 11/12. I know this was due to pre rut and rut activity. The weather was warmer and had the moon phase either waning gibbous, last crescent or waning crescent. But just curious if any of the days was a blood moon that i have read about etc. I am on the eastern shore of Maryland. Just fig i would reach out. I just like to keep learning and putting the pieces together. Any insight appreciated. Thanks!

Bump your dates with the data on this thread. Might tell you something of why you saw good bucks on those dates. :think:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45045#p674541
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
MN Slick

Unread postby MN Slick » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:57 am

mstavely wrote:Good Morning yall', was looking at my hunting journal from last year and was curious if anyone had the moonguide from 2017 for reference? I saw my biggest mature bucks on 10/25, 10/31, 11/1, 11/7, 11/8, 11/11, 11/12. I know this was due to pre rut and rut activity. The weather was warmer and had the moon phase either waning gibbous, last crescent or waning crescent. But just curious if any of the days was a blood moon that i have read about etc. I am on the eastern shore of Maryland. Just fig i would reach out. I just like to keep learning and putting the pieces together. Any insight appreciated. Thanks!

10/25 Red day Under 516 am, over 538 pm
11/1 Under 1050 am, over 1115 pm
11/7 Red day Under 323 pm, over 258 am
11/8 Red day Under 424 pm, over 358 am
11/11 Red day Under 712 pm, over 647 am
11/12 Under 802 pm, over 737 am

I'd be interested to hear if you noted the times you saw them and how they correlated with the daylight under and over for those dates.
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:06 am

I use http://www.weatherforyou.com. Type in your zip code, click on Solunar and then monthly Sun & Moon. Adjust the year and month accordingly and it tells you Sunrise, Sunset, Overhead, Underfoot, Moon Rise, Moon Set etc. times on that day. Blood moon I believe is when Overhead, Underfoot hits during primetime either morning or in the evening.
mstavely

Unread postby mstavely » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:25 am

Thanks for the all the info guys, yes i use that website for the overhead underfoot etc. I have heard a similar thing to the blood moon days. Just wondering what was the point of people buying the moonguide if you can figure out that info by yourself or was there other stuff in there? The times i saw were 10/25- 7:06am 10/31- 7:52 11/1- 7:32am 11/7-6:15am 11/8- 8:00 11/10 8-10:30am was watching some chasing activity Also the barometer was 29.72-30.2 and rising all of those sits.
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:31 am

mstavely wrote:Thanks for the all the info guys, yes i use that website for the overhead underfoot etc. I have heard a similar thing to the blood moon days. Just wondering what was the point of people buying the moonguide if you can figure out that info by yourself or was there other stuff in there? The times i saw were 10/25- 7:06am 10/31- 7:52 11/1- 7:32am 11/7-6:15am 11/8- 8:00 11/10 8-10:30am was watching some chasing activity Also the barometer was 29.72-30.2 and rising all of those sits.

I think all the moon guide does that the websites we use don't do, is tell you where to be sitting on those Overhead Underfoot times. Food source, travel corridor etc..
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:37 am

ScottSpitzley wrote:
mstavely wrote:Thanks for the all the info guys, yes i use that website for the overhead underfoot etc. I have heard a similar thing to the blood moon days. Just wondering what was the point of people buying the moonguide if you can figure out that info by yourself or was there other stuff in there? The times i saw were 10/25- 7:06am 10/31- 7:52 11/1- 7:32am 11/7-6:15am 11/8- 8:00 11/10 8-10:30am was watching some chasing activity Also the barometer was 29.72-30.2 and rising all of those sits.

I think all the moon guide does that the websites we use don't do, is tell you where to be sitting on those Overhead Underfoot times. Food source, travel corridor etc..

Thanks for this post. This weatherforyou.com is a good resource.

I have a question for everyone...

I keep a list of notes from important Dan quotes, haha. And one of them is when he was talking about Andrae and said "Bucks come to bed later in the morning when the moon is Overhead and Underfoot."

So for example I'm reading this moon time and at 4:22 AM the moon is overhead for a certain day. Is hunting at daylight around 7:00am too late to catch that moon on this particular day? Do you need the overhead time to be the exact time you intend to morning bed hunt? Say within a half hour? This website shows me 3 days later the overhead moon time at 6:47 AM. So I guess I would have to wait till that day if I wanted to sit over a morning bed? I'm just trying to understand this theory. If you are planning a morning sit over a head, all other tactics aside, just focusing on moon time what do you look for exactly? Can someone please elaborate on this?? Thanks! Quote me so I don't miss this...
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:44 am

rfickes87 wrote:
ScottSpitzley wrote:

I keep a list of notes from important Dan quotes, haha. And one of them is when he was talking about Andrae and said "Bucks come to bed later in the morning when the moon is Overhead and Underfoot."

So for example I'm reading this moon time and at 4:22 AM the moon is overhead for a certain day. Is hunting at daylight around 7:00am too late to catch that moon on this particular day? Do you need the overhead time to be the exact time you intend to morning bed hunt? Say within a half hour? This website shows me 3 days later the overhead moon time at 6:47 AM. So I guess I would have to wait till that day if I wanted to sit over a morning bed? I'm just trying to understand this theory. If you are planning a morning sit over a head, all other tactics aside, just focusing on moon time what do you look for exactly? Can someone please elaborate on this?? Thanks! Quote me so I don't miss this...

4:22am would be way too early. You typically want the overhead or underfoot to hit in and around the hour-2 hour mark after daylight or, before it gets dark IMO. If it were to hit at 6:47 for example and it doesn't get light until 7, then it could be too late. You would rather it hit during the first couple hours of daylight in morning, or the last couple hours of daylight at night(during primetime). If that makes sense.
Last edited by ScottSpitzley on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:47 am

rfickes87 wrote:
ScottSpitzley wrote:

I have never seen the moon guide but this past season I did pay attention to the moon theory that Bill Vale teaches in his book which I think is basically the same as the moon guide as far as overhead/underfoot times go. According to Bill, these times are good for 2 hours after overhead/underfoot occurs. He has a bunch of other things he considers beyond that but this answers your basic question.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:32 am

ScottSpitzley wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:
ScottSpitzley wrote:

4:22am would be way too early. You typically want the overhead or underfoot to hit in and around the hour-2 hour mark after daylight or, before it gets dark IMO. If it were to hit at 6:47 for example and it doesn't get light until 7, then it could be too late. You would rather it hit during the first couple hours of daylight in morning, or the last couple hours of daylight at night(during primetime). If that makes sense.

So in theory, if i want a buck to come back to bed later in the morning, say at 730am i want the overhead/underfoot time to be the same exact time.
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:49 am

rfickes87 wrote:
ScottSpitzley wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:
ScottSpitzley wrote:

So in theory, if i want a buck to come back to bed later in the morning, say at 730am i want the overhead/underfoot time to be the same exact time.

If you want to have a chance at a mature buck coming back to bed later in the morning, you will want the overhead/underfoot time to be in daylight during primetime. There is a window, it's not going to be the "exact time". I don't swear by this, but I have learned a lot about it, and have done my own research on it to the point where I use it as one of my many variables as far as finding the right day and time to go in for the kill. Remember that weather, wind direction etc. trumps the moon, but the moon accents weather.

Honestly, I only use all the variables to boost my confidence in each of my sits, the more confidence you have, the more you will have success, that's a promise.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:06 am

ScottSpitzley wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:
ScottSpitzley wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:
ScottSpitzley wrote:

If you want to have a chance at a mature buck coming back to bed later in the morning, you will want the overhead/underfoot time to be in daylight during primetime. There is a window, it's not going to be the "exact time". I don't swear by this, but I have learned a lot about it, and have done my own research on it to the point where I use it as one of my many variables as far as finding the right day and time to go in for the kill. Remember that weather, wind direction etc. trumps the moon, but the moon accents weather.

Honestly, I only use all the variables to boost my confidence in each of my sits, the more confidence you have, the more you will have success, that's a promise.[/quote]

Thank you for spelling this out for me. Its a new tactic for me that I'd like to use and use correctly. One thing is for sure and its your last sentence.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:10 am

2017 Moon Dates - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41668&hilit=moon&start=15

These are overhead/underfoot days and times. See which ones mesh up or dont and post it in the Moon thread so we can see results. They are Central Time Zone so adjust accordingly
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:28 am

rfickes87 wrote:
ScottSpitzley wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:
ScottSpitzley wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:
ScottSpitzley wrote:

ScottSpitzley wrote:If you want to have a chance at a mature buck coming back to bed later in the morning, you will want the overhead/underfoot time to be in daylight during primetime. There is a window, it's not going to be the "exact time". I don't swear by this, but I have learned a lot about it, and have done my own research on it to the point where I use it as one of my many variables as far as finding the right day and time to go in for the kill. Remember that weather, wind direction etc. trumps the moon, but the moon accents weather.

Honestly, I only use all the variables to boost my confidence in each of my sits, the more confidence you have, the more you will have success, that's a promise.

rficker87 wrote:Thank you for spelling this out for me. Its a new tactic for me that I'd like to use and use correctly. One thing is for sure and its your last sentence.

No problem man!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”