Do you find yourself on the Beast when you should be hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Do you find yourself on the Beast when you should be hunting?

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:58 pm

When I first joined Dan's hunting forum I found myself spending up to 2/3 of my hunting time on the forum instead out hunting. I had been so starved for someone to talk hunting big bucks with for so many years that I didn't even care if I learned anything or even hunted much of the time. I just loved having other hunters like me to communicate with and read peoples posts. I found myself making excuses to not go hunting so I could get on the forum. As unimportant as big bucks seemed to be for most of the Michigan hunters I knew I was starved for big buck peers.

I'm guessing most people didn't skip hunting like I did (often even on out of state hunts) but I have been curious if anyone else has done this?

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Re: Do you find yourself on the Beast when you should be hunting?

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:11 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:When I first joined Dan's hunting forum I found myself spending up to 2/3 of my hunting time on the forum instead out hunting. I had been so starved for someone to talk hunting big bucks with for so many years that I didn't even care if I learned anything or even hunted much of the time. I just loved having other hunters like me to communicate with and read peoples posts. I found myself making excuses to not go hunting so I could get on the forum. As unimportant as big bucks seemed to be for most of the Michigan hunters I knew I was starved for big buck peers.

I'm guessing most people didn't skip hunting like I did (often even on out of state hunts) but I have been curious if anyone else has done this?

I leave the forum up all day at work in the office, I'd be lying if I said I didn't look through it most of the day. As far as hunting goes, I try to leave the cellular device in the pocket as much as I can. I've had that phone out once before and missed my opportunity at a bruiser, never again..not even for the hunting beast forum...lol
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:15 pm

I spend a lot of treestand downtime cruising the interwebs. Not primetime but in the down hours of early afternoon. Hasn't cost me a deer yet I think it keeps me more still. No effing way anything but work or family is keeping me out of the woods in season.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:18 pm

ScottSpitzley wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:When I first joined Dan's hunting forum I found myself spending up to 2/3 of my hunting time on the forum instead out hunting. I had been so starved for someone to talk hunting big bucks with for so many years that I didn't even care if I learned anything or even hunted much of the time. I just loved having other hunters like me to communicate with and read peoples posts. I found myself making excuses to not go hunting so I could get on the forum. As unimportant as big bucks seemed to be for most of the Michigan hunters I knew I was starved for big buck peers.

I leave the forum up all day at work in the office, I'd be lying if I said I didn't look through it most of the day. As far as hunting goes, I try to leave the cellular device in the pocket as much as I can. I've had that phone out once before and missed my opportunity at a bruiser, never again..not even for the hunting beast forum...lol

Once I'm in the stand my phone is OFF. If it wasn't I'm sure it would cost me at some point.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:19 pm

Hunting? No... Housework and honey do's.... Guilty as charged.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:41 pm

Judging by how active the Live from the Stand threads are every fall, a ton of hunters are guilty of being on the Beast when they should be hunting. Just kidding guys...sorta :lol:

I've got caught up in reading or typing a response and missed some other stuff here and there but not missed going hunting so far anyway!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:44 pm

I have a pretty good system. I roll up my pad on my summit rest. I can tuck my phone in there and surf the net. I'm still very in tune to what's going on around me. If I see a deer I don't have to put the phone away or do any crazy movements. I think both bucks I shot last yr I was on the forum posting in the live from the stand thread, and messaging with a member.

For me it passes the time faster. It keeps me on stand during all day sits. I have also spent many years in the woods. I could seeing it being a major distraction for a new hunter.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:03 pm

I check in here a lot between rounds at work. While hunting or scouting not so much. Time flys while having fun :lol:
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:39 pm

I spent a lot of time on the Beast when I was unhappy at work (with my former company). That was a couple years ago when I was a fairly new member and the Beast had constant KILLER threads. I'd get hooked on one or two and couldn't leave them be... all while hating my job :lol: Bad combo

I do peruse the forum while hunting, but not the last half hour. Like Oldrank it helps me keep my sanity. I've had multiple times where I've had to put it away as a deer approached and caught me off guard. Hasn't cost me a deer yet but chances are it will at some point :? . I also use it to help with stand entry. If I crack a stick or make a loud noise I cuss at myself under my breath and then pull my phone out and check Live From the Field. Sure beats standing there looking at the trees for 5-10 minutes. Helps keep my mind in the game rather than get frustrated.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:04 pm

I always compartmentalize what I do and when I do it. If I'm hunting I hunt. If I'm scouting I scout. If I'm running trail cameras I run trail cameras. Etc.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:49 pm

Guilty. Not sure if it’s cost me deer. I’ve been surprised by deer out of shooting as I looked up from my phone
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:01 pm

I'm only on here a couple times a day, and I can guarantee it's never while I'm in the woods. Gotta go along with Stan's thinking on this one.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:28 pm

The Beast has never kept me away from hunting. If anything it helps me spend much more time on stand. I have been known to contribute a bit to the Live From The Stand thread and can’t say it has ever cost me a shot at a buck I wanted to kill. Had a few sneak in unnoticed luckily they weren’t shooters. I know plenty of guys that messed up on big bucks because they were sleeping on stand. That is something I never do.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:12 am

Early on I realized how little I knew. And being able to read the beast at any time /all the time was the best thing for me. But somewhere down the line it transitions into needing LOTS of woods time to compare and connect with all the new ideas .
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:18 am

Dewey wrote:The Beast has never kept me away from hunting. If anything it helps me spend much more time on stand. I have been known to contribute a bit to the Live From The Stand thread and can’t say it has ever cost me a shot at a buck I wanted to kill. Had a few sneak in unnoticed luckily they weren’t shooters.I know plenty of guys that messed up on big bucks because they were sleeping on stand. That is something I never do.

Guilty of that one :cry: Happened on my first ever bow hunt. Never fell asleep on the stand again since that day. Which is tough considering I hunted from a summit

I am on the beast when I am on the stand, cause it keeps me still. But I never lose hunting or scouting time when I am on the beast. I actually gain scouting time sometimes. I'll see an aerial marked up here that looks interesting, and I'll go compare it to an area I hunt and see if anything looks good. I've gone on the beast while scouting while I take a 10 minute water/snack/bathroom break, or to look at something I remembered reading and wanted to refresh on the details.

I do know guys who use technology as a means to get out of doing stuff they should be working on. Like right now, I'm looking at some guy typing on a forum when he should be working on DNR permits for his senior project or researching for his capstone report. And that guy is me :naughty:

Back to work
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”