Small trees near buck bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

weatherdude

Small trees near buck bedding

Unread postby weatherdude » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:54 pm

I found a spot to hunt this fall that looks awesome but most of the trees around the area are fairly small, maybe 10" in diameter. It would be really tough to hunt from the ground in this area. Ground cover is sporadic. Has anyone hunted out of smaller trees like this with a hang-on?

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Small trees near buck bedding

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:05 pm

I have but I also had the luxury of being able to add brush to my background so I wouldnt look like a lollipop. Think it can be challenging if u don't have that ability, but would only make the reward sweeter if ya pulled it off.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:14 pm

I’ve hunted out of way smaller than 10”. Been in lots of 5”, I’ve been with dan when he had used a strap and put a few tiny ones together to make one big enough to hold him.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:26 pm

I've also been sitting in some pretty small trees the last few years. If it's in the right spot in regards to bedding, I'm going to give a small tree a shot any day.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:49 pm

Bend a few branches and ground hunt it
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:59 pm

A 10" tree would be on the large size of what I typically hunt from. As long as it's the right tree you should be in business. LW and XOP stands will fit in a 4 or 5 " tree. Haven't tried tying brush together though. :think:
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:13 pm

I've hunted out of a lot of trees smaller than 10". It can be a challenge to not stand out sometimes I've been maybe 8'-10' off the ground so I had some cover. This has worked well for me, but I understand every situation is different.
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:14 am

Just be aware if you are a bigger guy, that the tree is usually a rockin while you are climbing it.

I hunted out of a maple this year that was small enough I could touch my fingers if I wrapped both hands around it. So that's at most 5". Stand and sticks were rock solid. The tree wasn't as solid :lol: I don't go as high in the tree if its smaller. Only went up 3 sticks I think in that one but I actually ran out of tree by then.

Now that I think about it, over half my hunts in my hang on were in trees that I would consider too small for my climber.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
BigStick

Unread postby BigStick » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:07 am

Don't be afraid to get in some smaller trees. I'm a bigger guy and have been in several trees only 5 inches in diameter. They do move a little more but are plenty solid to hold you. Think about how solid a 4x4 post is, I'd have no problem hanging from one of them! In fact, that just might give me an idea... :lol:
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:20 am

Yes...many smaller than 10"

If you have doubts, try your gear out on a small tree in your yard or off a parking area on some random public somewhere.

I too have used 2 small pine trees strapped together.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:51 am

Echo others, 10" would actually skew on the large size for most of my sits. Back cover is the major issue, but sometimes better to risk it than know you are out of the game for sure.
NH Teufelhund

Unread postby NH Teufelhund » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:09 pm

Kraftd wrote:Echo others, 10" would actually skew on the large size for most of my sits. Back cover is the major issue, but sometimes better to risk it than know you are out of the game for sure.

For a Newbeast, how do I know what is enough backccover?
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:51 pm

Here’s a tiny tree example. Can only go about 8-10ft in these little ones.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:36 pm

Just l8ke many others, 6” is big in some of my spots, sat many a time one stick up or less.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:41 am

NH Teufelhund wrote:
Kraftd wrote:Echo others, 10" would actually skew on the large size for most of my sits. Back cover is the major issue, but sometimes better to risk it than know you are out of the game for sure.

For a Newbeast, how do I know what is enough backccover?

My experience is there is no magic answer. Dan talks in some of his youtube videos about just giving things a try in pretty bean-pole trees. More is just about always better, but if you assume it is your best shot, there are options. Setting up on the back side of the tree can work, staying very ready and being able to act quick with little movement helps, sometimes just risking it if you don't feel like you have other options.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”