Hair in beds?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BAS4109

Hair in beds?

Unread postby BAS4109 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:01 am

Last fall I got some video on a trail cam of 2 nice bucks that appeared to have been jumped. It was the middle of the day in mid October and they were panting. I only got one other pic of one of them at night in mid November.

So I have been trying to back track them to where they might be bedding. I found an area that was a small 150’x150’ patch of brush. It overlooks a dip with a slow water flow. There were quite a few piles of droppings and one spot that seemed like a bed. It wasn’t really matted down though but it was full of hair.

Do beds that are used often normally have hair in them?

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Hair in beds?

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:19 pm

BAS4109 wrote:Last fall I got some video on a trail cam of 2 nice bucks that appeared to have been jumped. It was the middle of the day in mid October and they were panting. I only got one other pic of one of them at night in mid November.

So I have been trying to back track them to where they might be bedding. I found an area that was a small 150’x150’ patch of brush. It overlooks a dip with a slow water flow. There were quite a few piles of droppings and one spot that seemed like a bed. It wasn’t really matted down though but it was full of hair.

Do beds that are used often normally have hair in them?

definite on that hair is great to have in a bedding area tells you its used alot most of the time.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
BAS4109

Unread postby BAS4109 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:06 pm

It just seemed like quite a bit of hair. It was in a small area though about the size of a bed.

Here is a pic. You might need to zoom in a bit.

Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:53 am

Sounds like great confirmation that you're in the right area. Based on droppings, beds, hair, cover--relating these to your cam pics is great. Next move is either gather more intel or establish your hunt plan and do the preparations necessary. Or both.

If you have a dog, you know it sheds a lot in the spring when it loses its winter coat. Same with deer. Also, some cover will keep the hair there longer, versus wind or water washing or blowing it away. Some guys will use a stick to move the leaves or pine needles away, and in some situations just a little hair tells you what you need to know.

Good job so far! I hope you get the chance to seal the deal this fall.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
ScottSpitzley
500 Club

Unread postby ScottSpitzley » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:09 am

Hair and droppings are a huge confirmation. I often find droppings right in their bed also. I can't imagine laying in your own meadow muffin is too appealing.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:51 am

Related question - snow is literally just melting away now by me and where I find hair in beds does anyone have a trick to determining whether that's a bed used recently or a bed from Nov/Dec? I've been going by tracks, meaning a fresh track = recent and no track = last Fall and the snow covered the hair. Any other views, or tips to look for?
BAS4109

Unread postby BAS4109 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:04 am

Thanks guys. I might drop a camera in there and let it soak for a few months.

This site is awesome. After hunting for 30 years you think you know a lot but this site has really opened my mind to so many details I never even thought about.

I am scouting another spot after work today. I am as excited about scouting as I am to actually hunt.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:10 am

There is a lot more hair in beds this time of the year cause of shedding there winter coats. Sometimes it can be so much you think its from a dead deer.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:12 am

ODH wrote:Related question - snow is literally just melting away now by me and where I find hair in beds does anyone have a trick to determining whether that's a bed used recently or a bed from Nov/Dec? I've been going by tracks, meaning a fresh track = recent and no track = last Fall and the snow covered the hair. Any other views, or tips to look for?

I go a lot on how much wear there is. And how many beds, and the way the terrain lays out (is it the best spot to bed in that area based on terrain? )
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:24 am

dan wrote: I go a lot on how much wear there is. And how many beds, and the way the terrain lays out (is it the best spot to bed in that area based on terrain? )

Thanks much I follow what you're saying
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:16 pm

ODH wrote:
dan wrote: I go a lot on how much wear there is. And how many beds, and the way the terrain lays out (is it the best spot to bed in that area based on terrain? )

Thanks much I follow what you're saying

look at any rubs too they age over the season mildew is often September October takes a while for it to form bark on top of leaves is after leaf drop ect the little clues even scrapes work that way if you really look close fresher ones will have more dirt on top of leaves the snow is like a time capsule preserving the sign. poop breaks down over time too and turns back to dirt
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:52 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:look at any rubs too they age over the season mildew is often September October takes a while for it to form bark on top of leaves is after leaf drop ect the little clues even scrapes work that way if you really look close fresher ones will have more dirt on top of leaves the snow is like a time capsule preserving the sign. poop breaks down over time too and turns back to dirt

Thanks for the help
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:07 pm

ODH wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:look at any rubs too they age over the season mildew is often September October takes a while for it to form bark on top of leaves is after leaf drop ect the little clues even scrapes work that way if you really look close fresher ones will have more dirt on top of leaves the snow is like a time capsule preserving the sign. poop breaks down over time too and turns back to dirt

Thanks for the help
birch maple eastern iron wood and pussy willow sumac are the ones that grow a mildew pines oak brush dont typically im sure theres others too pines will bleed sap though and dirt collects the sap the older it is. licking branches on green trees the dead branch gets brittle with time as it dries.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:17 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
ODH wrote:

Thanks for the help
birch maple eastern iron wood and pussy willow sumac are the ones that grow a mildew pines oak brush dont typically im sure theres others too pines will bleed sap though and dirt collects the sap the older it is. licking branches on green trees the dead branch gets brittle with time as it dries.

it has something to do with tanic acid levels in trees and a reaction to oxygen iron content in water i think. i deal with it at work with different types of deck boards on docks ceder gets alot of black mildew spots if not treated with a sealant or stain.
BAS4109

Unread postby BAS4109 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:56 pm

I scouted a totally different swamp yesterday and found 3 beds. All 3 were right in the swamp under trees. Anywhere from 50 to 150 yards on the SE end of an island. All 3 beds had a small amount of hair in them. Some of the hair was matted into the ground and 1 bed there was just a single hair that looked fresh. From what I can tell they seem to like to enter these islands from the East or SE sides probably based on the prevailing winds?

Not many rubs on the island from last year but there was a good amount of older rubs.

Also found a dead porcupine that I assume a fisher killed and I found a skull. Almost looks like a dog skull?

Here is the skull

And the beds. The last one looks like it has been used a lot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”