Milkweed Pods

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ShaneSiv
Facebook: Shanesivadon@facebook.com

Re: Milkweed Pods

Unread postby ShaneSiv » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:18 pm

Hunting in Arkansas and wanting to try the Milkweed out for scouting and hunting season. Anyone willing to help me out? I will pay for shipping. Thanx

Happy Scouting season Beast Forum!!

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:44 pm

Wow! 152 posts on milkweed... only on the Hunting Beast :lol:

The stuff really is great!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
magoo

Unread postby magoo » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:05 am

PM me an address and I'll get some out to you. No need
for you to pay postage.
Jim
Trout1

Unread postby Trout1 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:42 pm

If you can't find it in your area then you can by a lifetime supply of it on Etsy. Multiple people sell it there.
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:30 pm

Not sure if I have it near me. I have never seen it. Thanks for Etsy I just ordered this...
https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1413573314
We shall see.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:55 pm

milk weed is best but any puffy seeds will work in a pinch cattails are not horrible even dandelions work you can even use goose down or the fuzz off turkey feathers chickens ect
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:48 pm

I've tried growing it from seed but never have any luck. I've tried planting seeds right away, tried keeping them in a cool dark place until the following spring, tried starting them indoors, never any luck... I know place where I can get all I need thogh so it;s not such a big deal. But kind of frustrating none the less.

Anyway before I found where I could pick some I sued cotton balls. I would peal off a couple of cotton fibers and release that into the wind. It worked well. Learned the trick from someone here who couldn't find any milk weed either.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:39 pm

I can't swing a dead cat for hitting milk weed pods. Lucky enough to have 3 MAJOR areas of them cropping up. I'm always happy to mail some.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
SwampThing1980

Unread postby SwampThing1980 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:34 am

Dan, is it worth checking out thermal action in the spring using milkeeed, or would you say this should only be accomplished during hunting sits? I’m assuming The thermals will act different with frozen ground/water vs the fall when the opposite is true for hunting season..?
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Tue May 08, 2018 3:09 pm

Just thought I’d drop this in for anyone in or around the plains or southeast region of the states needing help with milkweed identification. This is green antelope horn milkweed. It’s in the flowering stage right now but has smooth skinned pods when it’s ready to seed. I’ll post a pic of the pods when they mature here in another month. Dry roadside ditches and short grass pasture are common places to look as it only grows 1-2 ft. It may not be the most common type in your particular area but it’s the most abundant in southern OK and north TX from what I’ve noticed.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Tue May 29, 2018 4:08 pm

sdonx wrote:Not sure if I have it near me. I have never seen it. Thanks for Etsy I just ordered this...
We shall see.

We have tons of milkweed near me here in SE Mass.if you need some for this upcoming season or need help identifying it, feel free to pm me and I will be happy to help.i still have a few pods from last year.
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
sdonx

Unread postby sdonx » Tue May 29, 2018 11:57 pm

Perfectionitz wrote:
sdonx wrote:Not sure if I have it near me. I have never seen it. Thanks for Etsy I just ordered this...
We shall see.

We have tons of milkweed near me here in SE Mass.if you need some for this upcoming season or need help identifying it, feel free to pm me and I will be happy to help.i still have a few pods from last year.

Great to hear, If I get stuck identifying it I will reach out - Thanks Perfectionitz
BTW I have a great plant id app called Plantsnap, hopefully it helps me out.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Thu May 31, 2018 10:27 am

Just planted some this weekend from seeds for CRP monarch butterfly plot. Hope it grows...
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Thu May 31, 2018 1:41 pm

burkhart wrote:Got plants in all the same old places this year... no pods yet though

Me too, I found a ton just starting to grow out in the field when I was scouting yesterday.
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:32 am

Wannabelikedan wrote:Just thought I’d drop this in for anyone in or around the plains or southeast region of the states needing help with milkweed identification. This is green antelope horn milkweed. It’s in the flowering stage right now but has smooth skinned pods when it’s ready to seed. I’ll post a pic of the pods when they mature here in another month. Dry roadside ditches and short grass pasture are common places to look as it only grows 1-2 ft. It may not be the most common type in your particular area but it’s the most abundant in southern OK and north TX from what I’ve noticed.

Most of the plants around here have pods right now. Picked half a wal mart sack full yesterday and didn’t even make it 10 ft off the road. Be glad to send some to anyone in need.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”