Anyone a moon guru?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: Anyone a moon guru?

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:59 am

Okay, I read a couple of threads about the moon as well as some off-site reading, and I kind of have at least a grasp of it.
Here's my question for those of you who do follow the Moon, do you only play it when it's a full moon or a new moon, or will you hunt any phase of the moon so long as it's directly overhead/underfoot in that sunrise/sunset time frame?

Also I read that the best time to see midday Buck movement is when it's a full moon overhead, if I understand correctly. Have many of you found this to be true?

Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:24 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:Ok i hear it alot and just dont get it or how to figure it at or what to even read or watch to explain it. Im sorry but what is or does it mean when the moon is underfoot or overhead? Im not real savy on moon stuff but im lost when i hear it. Can anyone explain this stuff?

Picture yourself standing in your yard. Look straight up in the sky, if the moon is directly overhead, basically noon if it was the sun, that's overhead. Visualize looking at your feet, straight thru the earth and seeing the moon. That's under foot. Under your feet so to say. A sketch would make it easier. U could probably Google it
Last edited by Swampbuck on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make It Happen
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:30 pm

wolverinebuckman wrote:Okay, I read a couple of threads about the moon as well as some off-site reading, and I kind of have at least a grasp of it.
Here's my question for those of you who do follow the Moon, do you only play it when it's a full moon or a new moon, or will you hunt any phase of the moon so long as it's directly overhead/underfoot in that sunrise/sunset time frame?

Also I read that the best time to see midday Buck movement is when it's a full moon overhead, if I understand correctly. Have many of you found this to be true?

The full moon/New moons are better for midday. Typically the rut. But even on a full moon u have a minor phase that occurs early am.

The best moons are quarter moons occurring overhead/underfoot at dusk/dawn

I think most people keep this in mind but don't live by it. Fronts, barometric pressure, and all the other factors play in.

I've seen the most movement during the rut when the minor phase occurs from 8-11am...irs probably coincidence but again. It's like the weather. Just something to be aware of
Make It Happen
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:27 pm

Ok i get that but what significance does it have and when do you know when its under foot or over head? And why does it effect deer movement and wats better for deer movement over or under
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:37 pm

Lopedog699 wrote:Ok i get that but what significance does it have and when do you know when its under foot or over head? And why does it effect deer movement and wats better for deer movement over or under

From what I understand overhead/underfoot times are when the moon has the most gravitational pull for that day. I think its also the time of the lowest and highest tide for the day
I take my Bowhunting seriously
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:49 pm

This article explains it pretty well.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-b ... -big-bucks
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:51 am

Ok thanks i kinda get it now but its not proven so im still sticking to getting close proximity of mature bucks bed rather than worrying about what the moon is doing or where the gravitational pull is due to moon position.
Im not saying its false but im also not saying its true
I know if a mature buck is pressured a moon phase isnt gonna make him get up out of his bed earlier or later
Its his sight hearing and most importantly smell gonna make him feel safe enough to get up and move.
Thats y us beast hunters try to get as close as we can to bedded bucks so we can have opportunities to get a whack at them before dark
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:33 am

Lopedog699 wrote:Ok thanks i kinda get it now but its not proven so im still sticking to getting close proximity of mature bucks bed rather than worrying about what the moon is doing or where the gravitational pull is due to moon position.
I know if a mature buck is pressured a moon phase isnt gonna make him get up out of his bed earlier or later
Its his sight hearing and most importantly smell gonna make him feel safe enough to get up and move.
Thats y us beast hunters try to get as close as we can to bedded bucks so we can have opportunities to get a whack at them before dark

There is no "always" in deer hunting. But every little bit, can't hurt.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:09 am

Lopedog699 wrote:Ok thanks i kinda get it now but its not proven so im still sticking to getting close proximity of mature bucks bed rather than worrying about what the moon is doing or where the gravitational pull is due to moon position.

I doubt anyone focuses on the moon "rather" than getting up in the right spot. Pressure trumps nearly everything. Getting where u need to be is the critical factor. It's just another tool to be aware of like barometric pressure
Make It Happen
Rob loper
500 Club

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:53 am

Swampbuck wrote:

I doubt anyone focuses on the moon "rather" than getting up in the right spot. Pressure trumps nearly everything. Getting where u need to be is the critical factor. It's just another tool to be aware of like barometric pressure

I agree.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”