East Wind. My Favorite

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SamPotter
500 Club

East Wind. My Favorite

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:46 am

In the Northeast (where I grew up) and Midwest (where I now live), the predominant wind is from the West and winds with east in them are the least common. I've had an extremely high mature buck encounter rate when the wind has east in it vs. when it blows from any other direction. Part of this is likely because I can hunt spots that rarely ever get hunted.
When I see an easterly wind forecasted, the hair on the back of my neck stands up. It's go time. Has anyone else had increased mature buck opportunities when an east or other off direction wind blows?

Dewey

Re: East Wind. My Favorite

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:52 am

For whatever reason I have done really well with south winds during the rut. This is a wind direction that’s not favorable at all late October-early November because it generally brings in warm temps. I haven’t been able to explain it but gonna keep capitalizing on it. My four largest bucks came from south winds. I know what you mean about getting excited about certain winds...any type of southerly wind and I expect good things to happen.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:53 am

Depends on how you set up mainly. Most gear up for west winds. East winds usually are associated with bum weather. I like to set up so I am in control of my scent not blowing into the area I hunt. I hunt one property where East winds are the best because of the approach I have to take. Tough to come in from the East on an East wind. I have no favorite wind more like prevailing wind.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:11 am

SamPotter wrote:In the Northeast (where I grew up) and Midwest (where I now live), the predominant wind is from the West and winds with east in them are the least common. I've had an extremely high mature buck encounter rate when the wind has east in it vs. when it blows from any other direction. Part of this is likely because I can hunt spots that rarely ever get hunted.
When I see an easterly wind forecasted, the hair on the back of my neck stands up. It's go time. Has anyone else had increased mature buck opportunities when an east or other off direction wind blows?

Cool thread! This is something I hope for too! Found some excellent beds for an E wind and - like you stated - we just dont get it often... Last season I cannot remember a day that a E wind lined up correctly for an attack.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:13 am

I have been waiting to hunt this bed for a full season now! ....
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:32 am

Yea any easterly wind in the delmarva area is almost a given rain coming in 24 hours or its raining already
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:52 am

South for me. My south sets are always my favorite for some reason. It mostly happens early for me being that our season starts Sept. 1st but I've always had really good encounters when we've had a south wind in Jan. on the leading edge of a frontal passage. Its a really rare occurrence though. It happened twice last year and twice this year and both times I saw a shooter. The colder the better. I have a few spots I'll trip over myself to get into when that occurs. Things get re arranged in my house when that happens as far as who is picking up kids ect. :lol:
Also NE wind in September when its hotter than two rats doing it in a wool blanket. We usually have a Bermuda high sitting over us with steady W-SW winds and then you get this day and the winds goes this out of whack direction. I think it seriously shifts the early season bedding around and gets things in a place where deer haven't been in a while.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:32 am

I have a couple spots that the thermal tunnel requires an east wind in hill country.
I’ve got pictures of big bucks using it on an east wind.
Yet to seal the deal on one.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:46 am

I've had more luck finding beds on off winds compared to our prevailing North/Northwest wind.

South & East winds I seem to find more quality beds and more deer sightings.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:01 am

In my observations, it seems like deer are a little out of sorts when an east wind blows. They just don't spend as much time moving through their territory with that wind, which makes them slightly more vulnerable.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:21 am

SamPotter wrote:In my observations, it seems like deer are a little out of sorts when an east wind blows. They just don't spend as much time moving through their territory with that wind, which makes them slightly more vulnerable.

I agree. I have seen really big bucks in person and on trail cam on east wind days that show up from who knows where, never to be seen again, and are just moving very differently than normal but only on east wind days. East wind is very rare here, maybe a few per season and they are definitely days to be ready for and try to capitalize on. They definitely do throw the deer off a little bit.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:51 am

This is an interesting discussion! I have sets for all different wind directions. I don't really have any good data to form any conclusions. Last year was my first time taking notes during the season.

Sam & others...On those favorite winds has your success been hunting directly parallel to the wind? A cross-wind? Or just off-wind?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:17 am

no favorite for me I just hunt the beds depending on where the bucks will be bedded from wind my area is south west for most part till mid October then north east November then north west December.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:35 am

tgreeno wrote:This is an interesting discussion! I have sets for all different wind directions. I don't really have any good data to form any conclusions. Last year was my first time taking notes during the season.

Sam & others...On those favorite winds has your success been hunting directly parallel to the wind? A cross-wind? Or just off-wind?

big bucks travel wind to back or nose for most part so the east winds are probably shifting the winds just enough that people are hunting the edge add the thermal and pow bucks are slipping up from their normal bedding where they think they are safe. I think the bucks are normally their all the time its just that their beds and travel suddenly become less bullet proof creating more sightings.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:50 am

SamPotter wrote:In the Northeast (where I grew up) and Midwest (where I now live), the predominant wind is from the West and winds with east in them are the least common. I've had an extremely high mature buck encounter rate when the wind has east in it vs. when it blows from any other direction. Part of this is likely because I can hunt spots that rarely ever get hunted.

I love the Easterly, gray, overcast, even drizzling rain kind of days. Done very well on those kind of days.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”