How to organize all this data?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

elk yinzer
500 Club

Re: How to organize all this data?

Unread postby elk yinzer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:51 am

riverrat bbq wrote:So if you save all you info on google maps is that saved to your computer or is it connected to your google account. I would hate to loose it all if the computer crashed.
thanks chris

I back up my google earth and basecamp up to the cloud. Probably not as often as I should but at least once a year or so. Good reminder it is time to do it again.

Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
riverrat bbq

Unread postby riverrat bbq » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:22 am

Thanks for the help on google maps. Now I know that im not paranoid, but is there anyway that someone else can see the maps I make for google earth or base maps for my garmin. What I guess I would like to know is, are the maps made only for you or does this all get put into some kind of database that others have access to? I am just curious because I think there is something like that for locators. It lets people know good fishing areas. Maybe I have been sick to long and the fever is melting my brain. :D
chris
EdC

Unread postby EdC » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:42 am

riverrat bbq wrote:Thanks for the help on google maps. Now I know that im not paranoid, but is there anyway that someone else can see the maps I make for google earth or base maps for my garmin. What I guess I would like to know is, are the maps made only for you or does this all get put into some kind of database that others have access to? I am just curious because I think there is something like that for locators. It lets people know good fishing areas. Maybe I have been sick to long and the fever is melting my brain. :D
chris

I don't think so

if your paranoid save everything to your home computer or a usb stick

just remember hackers can just about get into anything but unlikely they would waste their time on fishing maps
Everyone Gets Close - Few Finish The Job
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:57 am

Getting started is not difficult, its after a few years things get dis-organized. One major tip is decide how youre keeping track before leaving the truck. If you're taking video footage and stating in the video what location, it can be a headache changing names later. I like to keep everything on my external hard drive and backed up somewhere. Every year / Twice year I export my maps from GPS to hard drive / online backup (after scouting season & after hunting season). They can be accessed anywhere, anytime if I needed.

Also decide when you find a primary bed w secondary beds for wind shifts, are those secondary beds going to be named? I suggest no, just take note of them. Mark the primary bed w all winds possible and take everything into account before the hunt.

If taking footage is something you plan to do, get a large storage card for the cell bc it will fill up fast after a full day out scouting. If you dont export the footage after the outing, then go out again it will really be quick. When taking footage FROM the beds be sure to slow down, take good footage and note things thoroughly. Referencing it before a hunt has been very helpful to me bc as the season changes and leaves drop his view can be different or I can get refreshed on the full situation. Also, for guys that use climbers the video footage is golden bc you can choose trees in the videos if the wind is slightly different than initially planned for.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Thu May 10, 2018 6:53 am

Bump

Great thread on organizing your scouting info. Also a great tip when using google earth.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Mon May 21, 2018 8:11 pm

I use topo maps+
I color code blue deer icon is bed...green deer is sighting.
I leave a note and add a screenshot photo of local weather conditions.
I can also track route and overlay topo lines on my winter aerials.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri May 25, 2018 1:25 pm

Divergent wrote:I use topo maps+
I color code blue deer icon is bed...green deer is sighting.
I leave a note and add a screenshot photo of local weather conditions.
I can also track route and overlay topo lines on my winter aerials.

I use the same but looks like you use the pro version. It does really well for me on my iphone. Even if my signal is week!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”