How to organize all this data?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bass28

How to organize all this data?

Unread postby bass28 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:14 am

I am looking forward to my first spring scouting using beast tactics. I am already doing some scouting and have accumulated some buck beds holding nice deer.

So my question is how do you guys organize and store all this data? With the scouting I have already done, I quickly realize that I need a place to make notes on beds, stand access, best winds to hunt, notes on bed exit routes, etc. Then the trick is to be able to lookup my best stands for a north wind (for example). When I am not hunting I am a professional web developer so I thought about building my own but if you guys have something that already works I will go that route.

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: How to organize all this data?

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:31 am

Huntstand with numbered tree locations. Then an exel spreadsheet with wind direction & descriptions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:40 am

I use a combination of tgreeno and burkhart have said along with a journal. Things really start getting interesting once you have a few years worth.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:03 am

I am going to use google earth and a notebook with a whiteboard in the garage with erasable markers

Also qdm. Has a really nice little log like book that i have to use (its a rule of many) on my lease i have here
It is nice it numbers quality bucks seen fawns immature bucks and does then you can make notes too
I think its on the site
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:21 am

HuntStand and excel for me as well
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:27 am

I use my Garmin 650 and add notes as to wind direction etc. I do like the excel spreadsheet idea for brainstorming at home prior to leaving for the hunt.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
bass28

Unread postby bass28 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:01 am

Thanks for all the great feedback! Somehow I had missed HuntStand when I was searching for tools. I've been playing with it and it has some real nice features. The Huntzone feature with predicted winds is awesome! I wish there were someway to load GPS waypoints.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:24 am

bass28 wrote:Thanks for all the great feedback! Somehow I had missed HuntStand when I was searching for tools. I've been playing with it and it has some real nice features. The Huntzone feature with predicted winds is awesome! I wish there were someway to load GPS waypoints.

On iphone which i have
Onx hunt is good too but it’s expensive 30$ a year
I also use
Geo pak hunt is also good and its 11-12 a year.
Geo pak aireals seem to be little more in laye fall and winter so its easy to see differences in trees and vegetation and tranny lines
I think they all are good but have their each little differences
Babshaft
500 Club

Unread postby Babshaft » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:59 am

If you're into the app thing another one to check out is scoutlook - just as another option. It's free as well, but there's adds.

Cheers
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:17 am

I log everything in my Garmin Oregon and download it to Garmin Basecamp and Google Earth when I get home. I keep track of everything...beds, rubs, scrapes, deer trails, stand sites, entry/exit routes, parking spots.......when downloading this stuff onto aerial and topo maps it’s amazing how the big picture comes together. I especially like downloading the tracking from each day so I can see exactly where I walked on aerials. Really helps me to cover every bit of ground or notice overlooked spots when scouting.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:21 am

Babshaft wrote:If you're into the app thing another one to check out is scoutlook - just as another option. It's free as well, but there's adds.

Cheers

I really like Scoutlook. Every spot I sit gets logged for future reference. I especially like the wind direction feature for each stand site. It’s great for checking if the spot will be huntable on a particular day or also looking ahead with the extended forecast. I have found this to be very accurate.
ChasingFLATS86

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:52 am

burkhart wrote:
Dewey wrote:I log everything in my Garmin Oregon and download it to Garmin Basecamp and Google Earth when I get home. I keep track of everything...beds, rubs, scrapes, deer trails, stand sites, entry/exit routes, parking spots.......when downloading this stuff onto aerial and topo maps it’s amazing how the big picture comes together. I especially like downloading the tracking from each day so I can see exactly where I walked on aerials. Really helps me to cover every bit of ground or notice overlooked spots when scouting.

One reason I wish I could afford a gps. If HuntStand had a track me features I could figure out how to use I’d be unstoppable and man would the maps look awesome

The huntstand app has a trace feature that will track you. Only issue I have with it is the app has to be open to trace.
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:15 am

Dewey wrote:I log everything in my Garmin Oregon and download it to Garmin Basecamp and Google Earth when I get home. I keep track of everything...beds, rubs, scrapes, deer trails, stand sites, entry/exit routes, parking spots.......when downloading this stuff onto aerial and topo maps it’s amazing how the big picture comes together. I especially like downloading the tracking from each day so I can see exactly where I walked on aerials. Really helps me to cover every bit of ground or notice overlooked spots when scouting.

Exactly what I do. Only have about 3 years worth of data now and it's amazing how visually all the data comes together. Can't even imagine what 10 or 20 years worth of data will look like. Notes couldn't begin to approach the effect. It's funny how our brains work too, before I got my gps I just kept track in my brain. Really misintereted some areas that way.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:03 am

Scoutlook and on x. I use both every time in the woods.
They both have their pros and cons, together they are awesome.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:10 am

Google Maps. You can drop points and it records to my gmail account. So when I use my phone, it also shows on my computer. Google earth I cannot mark up on my phone. (unless that has changed)

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”