Does groups during the rut questions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tkelite35

Does groups during the rut questions

Unread postby tkelite35 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:53 am

Southern Ontario....

I hunted Monday night. I saw a couple of does running, perhaps being chased but I cannot confirm that. Later that evening I saw 4 does together moving toward food. No more sign of bucks chasing, following or tending.

This morning, I saw a single large buck walking downwind through the forest I was set up in. About 20 minutes later 4 does appeared from the same direction and moved in a similar direction that the buck did. Another 15 minutes elapsed and I saw two does and a button buck together moving slowly browsing as they went.

To me, this appears to still be a seeking phase and that does are not yet in estrous... do you agree?

What happens to typical doe groups when one is in estrous and or locked down with a buck. Will the groups not dissipate for a short time?

Thanks guys!

headgear
500 Club

Re: Does groups during the rut questions

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:40 am

I don't hunt too far away, far northern MN. The rut is on where we are but probably close to or on lock down right now. I find the rut to be a much narrower window the further you go north, late and early born genetics can happen but every so often they get wiped out by bad winters and icy springs, only the best timed fawns can survive to pass on their genes. The best days to score a nice buck are generally the 8th to the 14th but that is just a ballpark figure, could be a touch later or earlier where you are. The does also group up here for breeding efficiency purposes, I often see and hear stories about groups of matures does (no fawns) grouped up or traveling together. I would try and get back on those does when you can, you can also see some post lock down action as the bucks are scrambling to find those last few does coming into heat, not sure on those dates as it can get a little random but if you have the time to be in the woods I would get out because you never know.

I have also shot mature bucks when I was covered up with fawns and I could hear mama bleating in the background so there are no hard and fast rules about bucks breading does alone or fawns not being in the area. However most of the time if I am only seeing fawns I suspect the does are somewhere else.
timberninja

Unread postby timberninja » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:18 am

I have to agree with Headgear on this. Also hunting Northern MN. It appeared the rut was hot and heavy from November 5th-12th. I have not seen near the chasing or deer for that matter as I did during the 5th-12th, which would leave me to believe they're locked down. Couldn't agree more on the more narrow the window the further north you go.
tkelite35

Unread postby tkelite35 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:15 am

If the window is so narrow, then is there a possibility that does could do unbread? I see lots of does and hardly ANY bucks. I think the buck to doe ratio is about 10:1, but I do not have firm stats on that.. simply observations.

T
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:11 pm

tkelite35 wrote:If the window is so narrow, then is there a possibility that does could do unbread? I see lots of does and hardly ANY bucks. I think the buck to doe ratio is about 10:1, but I do not have firm stats on that.. simply observations.

T

Is like to headgears opinion but I’ve suspected a lot of our does go unbred. I see lots of dry does our ratio is really bad too. I’ve seen 33 deer this season and yet to see a rack lol
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:19 pm

There are probably a few does that go unbread but some of the younger bucks get in on the action too. Want to say there was a DNA study one time and the younger deer did a surprising amount of breeding, just can't remember the percentages. When there are fewer mature bucks around there is almost no competition for does too which usually leads to less daylight travel. I think the bucks are there but they might not be moving as much or working as hard to find the does.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”