Best Rubber Boots for COLD weather?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Best Rubber Boots for COLD weather?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:26 pm

I bought the regular neoprene Lacrosse Alpha Burleys a few years ago and they are great. They are not warm at all, but were not meant to be. I bought them in my size, 12, and I cant hardly get them off my feet when layering up for cold. I really like them for october and early november hunting.

What RUBBER boots do you guys use in the cold? I still have to cross some swamp that doesnt freeze.

Do you buy 1200 gram, 2000 gram, one size bigger or go with same size but insulated? Are Cabelas insulated rubber boots any good?

johndeere506
500 Club

Re: Best Rubber Boots for COLD weather?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:28 pm

And Im really tempted to buy a size bigger to actually get them off without a hassle. Cant stand coming in cold and having to struggle to get boots off that are too tight.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:31 pm

Tight boots are always cold. I always try to have a size where I can wear two pairs of socks yet still wiggle my toes and have no pinching on the sides of my feet. Wear wool socks too.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:04 pm

Military bunny boot hands down warmest rubber boot made.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:38 pm

My 7mm Aeroheads are pretty decent down to 30 degrees. Beyond that I throw on my Arctic Shield boot warmers. I even use them on my Irish Setter insulated pac boots. Boot warmers really work well insulating any type of boot.
CRK925
Facebook: don't have facebook

Unread postby CRK925 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:02 am

I have a pair of Field and Stream 1000g Thinsulate boots I picked up at Dick's last year. Very warm and I've been good wearing them down to about 20 degrees so far.
YoopHunter

Unread postby YoopHunter » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:04 am

I own some Cabelas insulated rubber boots and they're pretty good, but for below freezing I go with Muck Arctic Pros:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Muck-Uni ... s?slotId=0

They're great if your walking and active, but my personal experience is that no rubber boot is going to keep my feet warm for more than a couple hours sitting in a treestand.

Hope this helps - Good Luck!
Bravov2

Unread postby Bravov2 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:13 am

Check out Grubb boots. I find my feet sweat with them on walks in so I only wear liner socks in. Then pop a hot hands boot liner thingy in and throw on thick alpaca socks and stay toasty warm.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:16 am

I agree with above posters. Even the best boots will not keep you warm all day when you're inactive in the stand. In that case boot insulators like the arctic shield combined with a hand warmer thrown inside will do the job - and for far less $$$ then buying a new pair of boots. You can also bring another pair of socks to the stand and change socks if you sweat at all on the hike in. That helps too.
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:49 am

The secret was mentioned above a few times. You need to buy them big. Any pinching on your foot is restriction in circulation. Even my big pack boots when laces tight cause restricted circulation. I always loosen the laces once on stand and even leave them unlaced or loose all together for my sit.

Same idea goes for rubber boots. I’ve found that if my boot is tight with a thick sock it’s better to wear a thin sock or even no socks at all. The dead air space in the boot is what allows your feet to stay warm. It allows the flow of warm air to your entire foot. That’s ultimately what insulation is supposed to do, allow air to circulate through that piece of clothing or foot wear. You can significantly help this by wearing large boots.

Keep in mind that even heavily insulated rubber boots do not breath(no rubber boots do for that matter, it’s just worse since feet sweat more the more insulation the boot has). Therefore any sweat or condensation will make your feet cold quicker than normal. This is why I buy my boots 2 sizes larger than necessary for my cold weather boots. It allows a good wool sock that insulated even when wet and pushes that moisture away from your foot. Cabelas Textel liners are the best synthetic liners that accomplish this too. You can buy just the liners separate and slide them into a rubber boot. Buy them large enough and couple that with a good quality wool sock and that’s as good as you’re gonna get.
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:07 am

Been wearing my gteen ranger boots with removable liners. Feet have been very warm even in upper teens. What is good about them, they wick moisture away from my feet. The outside of the liner is wet, inside much dryer. Boots are pretty bulky.

My lacrosse I am wea ring today...my feet are not toasty and it was 40 and raw first 2 hrs. Sun came out...will warm up fast.
Drewo

Unread postby Drewo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:09 am

I bought cabelas boots on sale this year. They have worked for me down to 15F and only the tip of my big to was cold. I layer with a poly liner sock and than a thick wool sock. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... prd1979540
d_rek

Unread postby d_rek » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:28 am

Buy at least one size up from your normal size for cold weather boots. If they are insulated you may even want 1.5-2 sizes up to allow for layering. That's the secret.

I wear 7mm lacrosse aeorheads for late season and ice fishing. They are a full size up form my normal shoe size. I like to wear a thick/heavy wool sock with them. If i'm sitting for longer than 3-4 hours I will bring a second pair of socks with me and change them out about halfway through my sit. The rubber doesn't breath very well and eventually causes your feet to get clammy which means they will get chilled. A fresh, dry pair of socks works wonders.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
Primetime

Unread postby Primetime » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:15 pm

Muck attic pros are great. I got a size bigger than normal.
Primetime

Unread postby Primetime » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:15 pm

Muck *artic* pros

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”