Concealing a small jon boat?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowscrub

Concealing a small jon boat?

Unread postby bowscrub » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:53 pm

For those of you that use a boat to get to your spots, how do you hide it from fisherman/other hunters? I hunt a property on a river that receives a ton of fishing pressure in the fall. There are spots that are pretty much only accessible via the river that I would like to get to. I want to keep my spots hushed, I don't want my boat to get in the way of someone running up river, and I don't want anyone running off with anything. Thoughts?

cdeam

Re: Concealing a small jon boat?

Unread postby cdeam » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:25 pm

I don't hide mine. Just pull it up and tie off. Never had a problem. I've considered cable locking it to a tree, but never done it.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:07 am

Why not just stealth strip the thing ;)

In all honesty perhaps that military camo netting or cutting some branches to hide the outline...
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:37 am

I just park it and cable lock to a tree. If you are worried about the spot ( someone figuring out your entrance) then I would park up or down slightly from where you actually go in....
Ragingun

Unread postby Ragingun » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:21 am

The 2 best answers have been listed: Park it where you don't hunt so not to give your spot away(good idea anyway so deer in your area aren't affected); and I've never worried about my boat being messed with although it's entirely possible. I have a flip over duck blind on my boat, since I duck hunt as well, that has a top on in to fully conceal it. It is entirely raffia grassed but even so any human will still be able to tell there's a boat there so it's pointless. The public swamp that I hunt most guys know each other(at least the bow hunters)and we also, for the most part, respect the areas where others typically hunt. Having said that you get your "offenders" every now and then. I know there have been "stand wars" where individuals would get into feuds and take the others stands and back and forth they'd go although that hasn't happened in years.

All things considered this is by far my favorite way to hunt. I love running the boat and getting to places that others simply can't. To further that I run a mud hull and gatortail motor. Very few will go where I do and without this rig it's nearly impossible to get to where I'm at. I love the swamp!
Dogs have many friends because they wag their tails, not their tongues.
Cove

Unread postby Cove » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:56 am

I've got a python cable that stays bound to my kayak. I pull it up to the nearest tree and lock it up. I'm normally within sight of it though, I'm finding water is the quietest entry for me so I get as close as possible. If I'm not in sight, I know someone would make quite a racket attempting to cut the cable so I'm confident I would hear that and could intercept. Hope it doesn't ever come to that . . .

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”