Cyber-scouting addiction

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Fins & Tines

Re: Cyber-scouting addiction

Unread postby Fins & Tines » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:49 am

Preview of a new post coming soon...

siwhitetail

Unread postby siwhitetail » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:00 am

Definitely a cyber junkie here. I have 400+ properties drawn up with the polygon feature on google earth. I also downloaded a topo layer on google earth that is not transparent in nature, but you can click on the transparency bar and move it back and forth to fade the topo map in and out. I love onX, but I'm on a bit of a shoestring budget after non-res tags, so I won't get the membership for the good topo layer.

Still, I study maps for at least an hour every day. Ssshhh... don't tell my boss. :D
Whitetailhunter63

Unread postby Whitetailhunter63 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:25 am

For you guys using onX...are you using the iphone version or the gps card?
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:34 pm

Whitetailhunter63 wrote:For you guys using onX...are you using the iphone version or the gps card?

iPhone most times but also have the Ohio card for my GPS. I go to the OnX page on my lunch break at work , mark a ton of potential spots with the laptop. Easier to manage or edit waypoints .
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:45 pm

Me too. I've cyber scouted faraway states I am pretty sure I'll never hunt just because I was bored.... I have about a million acres of public within day-huntable driving distance and my goal is to cover every piece of that in a quest for the wildest buck honey holes.

I've also pulled over the truck and scouted areas that "look good" while wearing my business casual work clothes, so I guess I am just a scouting junkie period.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:53 pm

Ever since I joined the Beast all i have been doing is cyber scouting and scouting. So glad I joined it's awesome..
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
WISCOANDY

Unread postby WISCOANDY » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:46 am

So true. Ever since I joined The Beast, I can't even drive past property without mentally scouting it.
Hunter4thehungry

Unread postby Hunter4thehungry » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:19 pm

I enjoy google earth yet, but am having trouble on the topo side of things.
BKMississippi

Unread postby BKMississippi » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:42 am

I'm with you. I love looking. I just go to my state's site and pick a wma. From there I can scroll anywhere in the country. I use the aerial and topo maps, and also use the heck out of the distance measure tool. If there's a downside, it's that the topo only has ten foot contour intervals. Does anyone know of a five foot count our interval map?

https://mdwfp.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View ... 0493300001
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:28 am

Seeing how I had off work 11-1 till 11-7 and killed my buck first day of vacation I've been kind of a lost puppy glad I got one but hate I can't sit a tree and more well I could but don't need a doe.. So I used a day to go and in season scout 2 spots I wasn't quite sure how they used the bedding.. So now I have turned to cyber scouting wife yealing at me to get off the computer all the time now :lol: hunting never stops
WMA hunter

Unread postby WMA hunter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:08 pm

I spend hours each day looking over the same grounds, trying to find something I missed before. I also look at property owners every time I pass a promising piece... maybe one day I will get the balls to actually ask permission :shock:

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”