Asking permission

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Babscanes

Re: Asking permission

Unread postby Babscanes » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:31 am

I got 3 new spots in the last 2 years by just asking coworkers. 2 don't hunt so that's a bonus. If your a nice person and have a relationship with people it's a lot easier. Now I just need to meet their neighbors and go from there. These are all small spots under 10 acres but in suburban areas and they are super thick.

Just go for it and be yourself. People can see thru the b.s. Real quick

IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:47 am

Babscanes wrote:I got 3 new spots in the last 2 years by just asking coworkers. 2 don't hunt so that's a bonus. If your a nice person and have a relationship with people it's a lot easier. Now I just need to meet their neighbors and go from there. These are all small spots under 10 acres but in suburban areas and they are super thick.

I think a lot of it depends on what area you are in. I have personally asked or sent letters to several hundred owners in the last few years and had a total of ZERO yes's. Texas is less than 1% public, so any tiny piece of ground that can be hunted will be leased at a high price. It isn't uncommon for a lease on good ground to cost 2-3k per hunter.

With high dollar lease fees as the generational norm, everyone thinks their back 40, or back 5 for that matter, is worth at least a few mortgage payments in hunting rights....
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:22 pm

IkemanTx wrote:
Babscanes wrote:I got 3 new spots in the last 2 years by just asking coworkers. 2 don't hunt so that's a bonus. If your a nice person and have a relationship with people it's a lot easier. Now I just need to meet their neighbors and go from there. These are all small spots under 10 acres but in suburban areas and they are super thick.

I think a lot of it depends on what area you are in. I have personally asked or sent letters to several hundred owners in the last few years and had a total of ZERO yes's. Texas is less than 1% public, so any tiny piece of ground that can be hunted will be leased at a high price. It isn't uncommon for a lease on good ground to cost 2-3k per hunter.

With high dollar lease fees as the generational norm, everyone thinks their back 40, or back 5 for that matter, is worth at least a few mortgage payments in hunting rights....

I agree, there was acouple in my hometown paper last month. One was 8 acres, 2 guns 2500 per gun the other was 150 acres 5 guns 1500 per gun lol. Rest assure some people will fork it over
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”