When is the right time to hunt a bed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PAbowhunter

When is the right time to hunt a bed

Unread postby PAbowhunter » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:11 pm

I have two particular buck beds and setups picked out on two different properties that I am pretty confident in. And can't wait to hunt them early season when I get the right wind. One is just in from the woods edge, surrounded by ag (corn and beans) and just down wind and very close to any hunters accessing the property. The other is on a long ridge, right on the property line about 40 yds south of a built box blind. He is perfectly downwind and in eyesight from whoever uses it and could slip out from a ways away. Both properties have easy access and are used by ppl, dogs, bikes,etc. I need a southerly wind to hunt both and would like to the first chance I get. The problem is there is standing corn. Our opener is Saturday and I'm sure there will still be corn. I think that could hurt the chances of the bucks using these beds and don't want to waste a set on it if I don't think they will show. Would you guys hunt it or wait? Thanks in advance!

northeast beast

Re: When is the right time to hunt a bed

Unread postby northeast beast » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:46 pm

I'm in the same boat and feel he will be in the bed not the corn because the bed is safe and untouched so he would rather be there...at least that's what I'm telling myself
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:05 pm

The bed could change when the corn is picked. I always try to hunt between the corn and the bed if possible. Also hunting the corn edge down wind of the buck bed is not a bad idea.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PAbowhunter

Unread postby PAbowhunter » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:21 am

Stanley wrote:The bed could change when the corn is picked. I always try to hunt between the corn and the bed if possible. Also hunting the corn edge down wind of the buck bed is not a bad idea.

I found this bed last year during season looking for a buck someone said they shot and put very little time in on the recovery. Never did find him, but the sign said that's where he was living. The area was littered with huge rubs some fresh, some from consecutive years. And looks like one of those perfect over looked spots. My guess is the buck died somewhere else but in hopes another will move in to the bed.
PAbowhunter

Unread postby PAbowhunter » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:31 am

I think if I get the right wind I'm going to hunt it with corn or not. See what happens.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”