Access by Water

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wv&ohbowhunter
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/george.hamrick.3?ref=bookmarks

Access by Water

Unread postby wv&ohbowhunter » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:59 pm

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and already love it and all the advice I've been seeing so far. This is one of the first years where I'm going to try to jump around into different public land blocks of woods instead of hunting just one larger block. One way I'm looking to get away from other hunters is by using water. I drive a smaller vehicle and am looking into getting an inflatable raft or kayak to accomplish this with. Has anyone done this or has a particular type of raft or kayak to try? Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Access by Water

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:08 am

If you click on the "search" function and type in "zodiac, canoe, kayak or inflatable" you will find some excellent posts.

Here is a link to a good one... make sure you take a look at Spysar's zodiac pics on about page 3.

Bridge
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:08 am

Singing Bridge wrote:If you click on the "search" function and type in "zodiac, canoe, kayak or inflatable" you will find some excellent posts.

Here is a link to a good one... make sure you take a look at Spysar's zodiac pics on about page 3.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23357&p=297492&hilit=zodiak#p297492

Bridge
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:42 am

Sevylor colorado.

I have the Sevylor Rio as well.

Used them from swamps to marshes, whitewater rivers to the ocean.

They blow up in minutes. Make sure you get a pump that will get enough PSI in it to make it firm. I use a small electric pump then top it off with a hand pump to firm it up.

I see them pop up on Craigslist from time to time for $100-200.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
wv&ohbowhunter
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/george.hamrick.3?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby wv&ohbowhunter » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:52 pm

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.
STIKnSTRING

Unread postby STIKnSTRING » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:26 pm

Welcome to the Beast. Never had anyplace that I needed to access by water until I found a few sweet ones aerial scouting this year. Hope you find the answers you're looking for. The guys on here will help with any questions you could possibly ask. Be safe and best of luck
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:37 pm

I've got a couple kayaks kinda curious how some of u guys pack all your gear on a kayak then how do u pack the deer out .. Did look at the zodiacs but a little worried about durability
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:57 am

I have a sevylor inflatable kayak as well. Used it for scouting a couple times this past spring and intend to use it on a couple hunts this fall. It paddles and floats surprisingly well. The hand pump i got allows me to inflate it in a matter of minutes
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:10 am

JAK wrote:I've got a couple kayaks kinda curious how some of u guys pack all your gear on a kayak then how do u pack the deer out .. Did look at the zodiacs but a little worried about durability

Go the canoe route if you can, does everything a kayak does and then some.
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:12 am

I'm a canoeing/kayak freak, so when I started hunting, this was naturally the way I wanted to access it. It quickly became apparent that hauling a bunch of gear in on the kayak was going to be difficult, let alone getting a deer out with one was going to be near impossible not to tip over. However, I also was new and using a ton of gear and junk I didn't need and plan on going in way more with a Lone Wolf stand and sticks without all the extra stuff that I had last year. That being said, harvesting a deer and taking it out on a kayak still seems like I'm just asking to tip my kayak. So, what I plan on doing this year is taking my canoe AND kayak this year with me to where I put in. I'll access with the kayak and if I'm fortunate enough to harvest a deer, I'll head back and grab my canoe and paddle that in to take the deer out.

Paddling in is so peaceful, but its also quiet and I feel a good way to control your scent stream and get in close to watery/marshy/swampy areas, which is where I hunt.

Good luck and welcome!
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:19 am

headgear wrote:
JAK wrote:I've got a couple kayaks kinda curious how some of u guys pack all your gear on a kayak then how do u pack the deer out .. Did look at the zodiacs but a little worried about durability

Go the canoe route if you can, does everything a kayak does and then some.

I prefer a kayak over a canoe, but use both. Starting out a canoe does have more utility. As far as getting a deer out, a canoe is simple, a kayak takes a little creativity. I have loaded a couple bucks in a kayak and then sat on top, it's an adventure but not the way to go for a long paddle.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:10 am

Get a kayak with built in bungees on the front and back. I got one from Dunhams Sports for $199 this summer and I can fit my bow and stand on the front and back. Most guys pack in an inflatable raft to haul a deer out. Some pack it on the kayak if its big enough. If you get a sit on top I think you can more easily pack gear onto it vs. a sit in style.

A canoe is another good route but not as mobile as a smaller kayak. I struggled between both of these options myself earlier this year.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:44 am

Short video of how I use my NuCanoe. I also use a smaller kayak I will have to dig through and see if I can find that video

https://youtu.be/-cZ4nR5XROY?list=PL2JVKutyC32SVl--9zQ4SsLd1C-MN12O2
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:20 am

MN_DeerHunter wrote:A canoe is another good route but not as mobile as a smaller kayak. I struggled between both of these options myself earlier this year.

The only real benefit to a kayak is for portages but even then there are some nice light canoes that can do the job. Even in shallow water or narrow spaces I don't see any advantage to the kayak, canoes are only inches wider and can still tackle just about anything a kayak can. A canoe also spreads your weight out over a larger area so the boat will be sitting up higher in the water vs a kayak. There isn't a comparison for hauling gear and deer in and out, plus you can always pack a hunting buddie and his gear in a canoe as well. I have a kayak and I just can't imagine hunting out of that thing when the canoe has so many more advantages.

Sorry I know there are a lot kayak guys here but I just don't like them.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:25 am

headgear wrote:
MN_DeerHunter wrote:A canoe is another good route but not as mobile as a smaller kayak. I struggled between both of these options myself earlier this year.

The only real benefit to a kayak is for portages but even then there are some nice light canoes that can do the job. Even in shallow water or narrow spaces I don't see any advantage to the kayak, canoes are only inches wider and can still tackle just about anything a kayak can. A canoe also spreads your weight out over a larger area so the boat will be sitting up higher in the water vs a kayak. There isn't a comparison for hauling gear and deer in and out, plus you can always pack a hunting buddie and his gear in a canoe as well. I have a kayak and I just can't imagine hunting out of that thing when the canoe has so many more advantages.

Sorry I know there are a lot kayak guys here but I just don't like them.

What about an inflatable kayak though? The one I have I can pack it in on my back through thick brush and inflate it right on the creek bank. Allows me to cross a chest deep creek far from any type of canoe landing and a couple hundred yards from any parking area. Buck carcass removal will insanely tough but worth it. The inflatable kayak has some obvious disadvantages to a canoe or larger kayak but it does get a hunter and a weapon into some very tight spots.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”