Eyeglasses and getting busted.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

basspro05
500 Club

Eyeglasses and getting busted.

Unread postby basspro05 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:39 pm

Brads thread on UV got me wondering...how many eyeglass wearing members feel like they have been busted due to the reflection of their glasses...

I for one think I have multiple times. there is not a contact lens on the market that fits my weird eye shape I have tested them all so I'm stuck with glasses.

Just curious if other glasses wearing members have noticed this issue.

headgear
500 Club

Re: Eyeglasses and getting busted.

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:46 pm

We have discussed it before that is for sure, I think the general consensus was so limit movement or don't get caught moving and also try and use your bow when they are in close to help cover a bit of your face/glasses. No perfect remedy but a few small things can be done.
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:51 pm

Im a part time glasses wearer, I currently wear contact lenses daily. At one time about 10 years ago when I was wearing glasses exclusively i blew an opportunity at a nice 3.5 year old 10pt due to my glasses fogging up. They began to fog up and I went to take them off and wipe them, when I put them back on we locked eyes and the gig was up. I still to this day have no idea which way he came from. I've never been busted by the glare though.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:22 pm

I wear glasses full time and cannot think of a time that it hurt me. When deer are looking my direction I tip my head down and cover my eyes with the tip of my hat. Never liked staring at them if they are looking anywhere near me.

Anybody remember about 20 years ago they sold those camo mesh glasses to cover your predator eyes? I owned a pair and tossed them after one hunt. Couldn't see worth a darn with them on and shooting would have been almost impossible. :lol:
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:45 pm

I wear glasses full time. Knocked down a few with specs on.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:22 pm

i wear glasses full time, not a problem so far. rain sucks and so does fogging up. but so does not seeing.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:13 pm

Dewey wrote:When deer are looking my direction I tip my head down and cover my eyes with the tip of my hat.

^ This
Konk

Unread postby Konk » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:24 am

tim wrote:i wear glasses full time, not a problem so far. rain sucks and so does fogging up. but so does not seeing.

Couple tips for these Situations;

1) Rain; Consider getting Crizal lenses the next time you need to get your lens prescription updated. They are more expensive but are coated and do not allow water to build up on the lens. Kinda like waxing your truck, water just beads up. These lens also help with glare.
2) Fogging; Before you go hunt wet your finger tips and rub them on a bar of soap to create a paste, smear this paste on your lenses, let dry, wipe off with a soft cloth. Helps during the winter going from outside to inside too. If the woman of the house uses Ivory soap use this, it works best. (Why, I have no idea)

Good Hunting
Member: Wisconsin Bowhunters Association
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:38 am

Thanks for the tips on the fogging. To me this is the biggest downfall. Also, I wear no-focals and sometimes have trouble with going from short to long distances. Not sure I've ever been busted with them. In certain areas hunt, I don't wear them....lucky enough to still see my sights well enough.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:44 am

Good tips on fogging, I use soap too on the lenses in super cold weather. The only time I really have problems is when its so cold I need a facemask, usually single digits or below zero wind chill.

As far as reflection I would put it this way - bet there is a 10 times greater chance you will get busted fooling with your cell phone if you take it into the woods than a reflection off glasses. I pull my hat brim down low, collar up, no face mask, and don't think its ever been an issue...

Have worn glasses for a long time, can't stand contacts.
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:26 am

tim wrote:i wear glasses full time, not a problem so far. rain sucks and so does fogging up. but so does not seeing.

x2 - try dropping your glasses when your 15 ft in the stand and have to figure out where they are at in a palmetto bush. I had that happen. I had to use my binoculars to locate them. climb down, pick them up, get back up in the tree.

Then have a deer run by getting chased by a little dog who is just wagging his tail as he passes by. It was funny. :lol:
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:35 am

I don't think I've ever been busted because glare. I have to take them off to use my binoculars which is pretty annoying. I tried wearing contacts 1 season, I was so used to my glasses protecting my eyes I kept getting stabbed by twigs. So I started wearing clear safety glasses and at that point I decided I might as well just where my glasses. Fogging was a big issue when I first got my lonewolf, now i stay in better shape and go slower so there isn't any heavy breathing.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:00 am

I hated wearing glasses while hunting. That was one of the main reasons I had lasik done on my eyes. Now I can see the alarm clock when I wake up or a buck sneaking through the woods a couple hundred yards away without wondering or worrying about my glasses. I wore glasses and contacts for 25 years before I had the surgery. Wish I'd scraped the money together to have it done years ago now.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
docwaters

Unread postby docwaters » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:14 am

Good tip on using soap, I'll try that this season. I don't believe I have ever had deer spook due to my glasses, either.
Dmking3
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/dakoda.king.

Unread postby Dmking3 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:59 am

Konk wrote:

Couple tips for these Situations;

1) Rain; Consider getting Crizal lenses the next time you need to get your lens prescription updated. They are more expensive but are coated and do not allow water to build up on the lens. Kinda like waxing your truck, water just beads up. These lens also help with glare.
2) Fogging; Before you go hunt wet your finger tips and rub them on a bar of soap to create a paste, smear this paste on your lenses, let dry, wipe off with a soft cloth. Helps during the winter going from outside to inside too. If the woman of the house uses Ivory soap use this, it works best. (Why, I have no idea)

Good Hunting

Im definitely going to have to to try the soap trick. Will any brand of soap work? This will be my first year having to wear glasses out and i hunt alot of river bottoms so i run into fog down there all the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”