Difference between good and great?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SMS79

Re: Difference between good and great?

Unread postby SMS79 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:05 am

Kybowhunter wrote:The only thing that seperates people from most champions

P.E.D.'s?

:lol: Sorry, couldn't resist! :lol:

GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:24 am

My son thinks I'm a great hunter. He looks up to me because I've killed more and bigger deer than him. He also thinks I'm great because I try and help him succeed. On the other hand Dan or Andy May would probably not be impressed with my kills or think I'm great at all.... So I think it's all relative to the person who's doing the measuring.

My own idea of the key difference between good and great hunters is the willingness and desire to help others reach their goals. I think a hunter moves from good to great once they reach a point where they care more about passing our sport on than killing a giant.
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:11 am

GoInLight wrote:My son thinks I'm a great hunter. He looks up to me because I've killed more and bigger deer than him. He also thinks I'm great because I try and help him succeed. On the other hand Dan or Andy May would probably not be impressed with my kills or think I'm great at all.... So I think it's all relative to the person who's doing the measuring.

My own idea of the key difference between good and great hunters is the willingness and desire to help others reach their goals. I think a hunter moves from good to great once they reach a point where they care more about passing our sport on than killing a giant.

1000 percent agree. Greatness can be defined in many different ways. Depends on the scale. For me greatness in hunting is defined by what one gives back, not by what one takes away.

Chad
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:16 am

Lastcast#1 wrote:
GoInLight wrote:My son thinks I'm a great hunter. He looks up to me because I've killed more and bigger deer than him. He also thinks I'm great because I try and help him succeed. On the other hand Dan or Andy May would probably not be impressed with my kills or think I'm great at all.... So I think it's all relative to the person who's doing the measuring.

1000 percent agree. Greatness can be defined in many different ways. Depends on the scale. For me greatness in hunting is defined by what one gives back, not by what one takes away.

Chad

Awesome way to put it!
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:50 am

Stanley wrote:Great thoughts and ideas on what people think a great hunter is. What makes a great golfer, basketball player, tennis player, chess player? It would be hard to argue that results separate the greats from the rest. Deer hunting is somewhat more challenging to classify the participants. But how many times have you heard someone say; if I would have capitalized on all the opportunities I've had I'd have as many bucks on the wall as so and so (Dan for instance)?

I could go on and on but everything that contributes to killing a buck, isn't the end result the measuring stick? How else would you categorize a great hunter? I think we all make excuses as to why we are not great hunters. No good hunting spots, no good hunting state, no good hunting county, no good time to hunt etc. You don't hear the great ones talk like that. I try and tell it like it is and not sugar coat it. For the record, I am not a great hunter and don't profess to be.

:clap: I look at the results, and those speak for themselves. Just as you listed the greats of sports, put the work and time in, they capitalized in the big games and produced results in forms of stats. There was no secret to the success. They had the ability and skill it took to get the job done. Hours of film, practice, and talent. Same can be said for hunters. But I will say this. A great hunter will never say he is great, he will never say he is good. He won't have to. It will be all over his words, walls, and life. Those around him will notice, and pay respect so to speak, but he will never allow himself to become complacent, the drive for better and more will always remain. You hear so many who retire say they never lose the love for the game, same can be said for a hunter.
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:59 am

I know a select few guys who are just straight killers and always have been, but I know some guys who have worked really hard to get there.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:12 am

whitetailassasin wrote:
Stanley wrote:Great thoughts and ideas on what people think a great hunter is. What makes a great golfer, basketball player, tennis player, chess player? It would be hard to argue that results separate the greats from the rest. Deer hunting is somewhat more challenging to classify the participants. But how many times have you heard someone say; if I would have capitalized on all the opportunities I've had I'd have as many bucks on the wall as so and so (Dan for instance)?

I could go on and on but everything that contributes to killing a buck, isn't the end result the measuring stick? How else would you categorize a great hunter? I think we all make excuses as to why we are not great hunters. No good hunting spots, no good hunting state, no good hunting county, no good time to hunt etc. You don't hear the great ones talk like that. I try and tell it like it is and not sugar coat it. For the record, I am not a great hunter and don't profess to be.

:clap: I look at the results, and those speak for themselves. Just as you listed the greats of sports, put the work and time in, they capitalized in the big games and produced results in forms of stats. There was no secret to the success. They had the ability and skill it took to get the job done. Hours of film, practice, and talent. Same can be said for hunters. But I will say this. A great hunter will never say he is great, he will never say he is good. He won't have to. It will be all over his words, walls, and life. Those around him will notice, and pay respect so to speak, but he will never allow himself to become complacent, the drive for better and more will always remain. You hear so many who retire say they never lose the love for the game, same can be said for a hunter.

I really enjoy your words good stuff. My difference of opinion based on a sport point of view is this. Let's take the NFL for example the best running back by stats also had the best offensive line ever assembled. I wonder what a bunch of others could have done behind that line. That being said how does it make the runner behind the absolute worst line compare. That's just how I feel and simply say size of horns mean little to skill set, I give much more credit to a guy shooting a 2.5 year old 6 pt in PA than a guy on private large tracks in Kansas shooting monsters. Just my opinion that some of the greatest skilled guys will never even shoot a book buck
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:31 am

GoInLight wrote:

I absolutely agree. All of the great hunters I have met in my life always cared more about passing the sport on than their own accomplishments. They rarely spoke of how many big bucks they killed unless it was brought up. It was all about helping others and making sure the sport and tradition was passed on. To me that is a GREAT hunter.
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:35 am

Dewey wrote:
GoInLight wrote:

I absolutely agree. All of the great hunters I have met in my life always cared more about passing the sport on than their own accomplishments. They rarely spoke of how many big bucks they killed unless it was brought up. It was all about helping others and making sure the sport and tradition was passed on. To me that is a GREAT hunter.

I absolutely agree!! Those guys are fun to hunt with too!!
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:23 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
whitetailassasin wrote:

I really enjoy your words good stuff. My difference of opinion based on a sport point of view is this. Let's take the NFL for example the best running back by stats also had the best offensive line ever assembled. I wonder what a bunch of others could have done behind that line. That being said how does it make the runner behind the absolute worst line compare. That's just how I feel and simply say size of horns mean little to skill set, I give much more credit to a guy shooting a 2.5 year old 6 pt in PA than a guy on private large tracks in Kansas shooting monsters. Just my opinion that some of the greatest skilled guys will never even shoot a book buck

I see what your getting at, and I know a lot of killers who just straight up kill deer. But Barry Sanders never had the best line in football, yet he produced at a high level. He changed the game by his ability to read the holes, stay patient, hard work, dedication, and the will to just not go down or be touched. There are guys in each state, on public ground, getting it done year in year out. Yes there are states where some people feel its like shooting fish in a barrel, but take a second and listen to how these guys hunt, just off this site alone. JoeRE lives and hunts in Iowa, but that dude straight up knows how to get it done. PK lives in FLORIDA, FLORIDA man and gets it done. Some guys just have the it factor, drive, and sheer determination that nothing will stop them from accomplishing their goal of killing the best buck they can find. If that's a 2.5 year old 6 pt, so be it, but here's my issue with that, 3.5 year olds in tough states to hunt are lets say 1 in 10(for the sake of an argument not a true stat) and 4.5 year olds are 1-25. The percentages really start to go down on these deer, and that's why the best of the best, are hunting this small percentage of deer. It's why its a challenge and why year in year out the kill thread gets the congrats and awe it does. I know several guys who are straight up killers, and have no desire whatsoever to kill big bucks, and I know guys who strictly kill big bucks. Does it make one better than the other? Who knows. But I do know this, hunting mature big bucks is a completely different ball game. It's not even close to the same animal in behavior. And if we are comparing apples to apples, hunter A is hunting for best buck, hunter B is hunting for best buck, then I'm going to say the guy consistently killing mature bucks gets my vote. People told me growing up that mature deer don't exist in Michigan, and that I should be happy with basket racks, and be thankful. Well I was, but I was also thankful that I didn't listen and I chose to cut my own path. Hard to argue with results. I find that the people that are looking for his land is better, he hunts so and so state, etc, are the kind of people who don't see the big picture. Because the guys on this site, every one of them to a man, have respect for PK just as they do for JoeRE, or Dan, because there's no excuses, no dividing lines, it's just get the job done. Respect is huge on this site, excuses you can leave those for other sites :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”