Cold fronts

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike32
500 Club

Cold fronts

Unread postby Mike32 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:02 pm

So where all you guys setting up on the first good cold front in October? I've heard that it can be some really good movement. Just wanting to see what some of your setups are when they come through.

Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Jeff25

Re: Cold fronts

Unread postby Jeff25 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:31 pm

I would guess a bed you determined as a primary bed that sets up for a north wind and are confident there is a mature buck in the area
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:32 pm

A lot depends on the seasonal timing and where/if I've got a buck and food source narrowed down.

If it's in the first two weeks of October it'll be an evening hunt tight to bedding cover headed to food. I need rain or wind for a good bit of my early season setups cause it's close quarters.

Late into the third or fourth week of October I'll probably try a morning ambush enroute to bedding. One in particular that comes to mind I need some stars to align but it's feasible.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:26 pm

I agree it depends on when that October cold front rolls in but no doubt deer will be on their feet.
SplitG2

Unread postby SplitG2 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:09 pm

I hunt one big farm(200 acres) but spend most of my time on small 15-30 acre parcels, so more often than not my bed hunting options are slim. If I'm actually off work when the cold front hits and the wind on the big farm sets up right for one of the bucks I am after there I will give a bed hunt a shot otherwise it will be in a staging area on one of the smaller parcels. That cold front can't get here fast enough
Hunt Hard or Go Home
Hesseltine32
Facebook: 6961 castle ct

Unread postby Hesseltine32 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:14 am

Iv had good luck with October cold fronts that bring rain in. I don't hunt mornings until late October. I will generally hunt on an ag field or transition area if I know I can slip in there.
Hunting backyard bucks
Octoberjohn

Unread postby Octoberjohn » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:15 am

I know I always try and be in the stand right after the first big cold front. I definitely see an increase in deer movement at this time. All of the scrapes get hit, still mostly at night, but from my trail cameras late evening can be productive as well at the scrapes that are back in the timber when he bucks are moving from bed to feed. This is about the only time of the year that I like to set up right on a scrape.

Also from my trail cameras from the past few seasons I have had outstanding mature buck movement during daylight hours on any major cold front during the last 10 days of October. Last year here in PA I got every mature buck in my hunting area on camera in the daylight on October 22nd(8am, 10am, 4pm, 6pm). I run three different cameras and all three had mature bucks on them in the daylight.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:13 am

It's been so long since I've seen a October cold front down here it's norm nov. eithier case I would be in a good funnel and sit there all day.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Ajazwinski88

Unread postby Ajazwinski88 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:24 pm

Octoberjohn wrote:I know I always try and be in the stand right after the first big cold front. I definitely see an increase in deer movement at this time. All of the scrapes get hit, still mostly at night, but from my trail cameras late evening can be productive as well at the scrapes that are back in the timber when he bucks are moving from bed to feed. This is about the only time of the year that I like to set up right on a scrape.

Also from my trail cameras from the past few seasons I have had outstanding mature buck movement during daylight hours on any major cold front during the last 10 days of October. Last year here in PA I got every mature buck in my hunting area on camera in the daylight on October 22nd(8am, 10am, 4pm, 6pm). I run three different cameras and all three had mature bucks on them in the daylight.

Funny I noticed the same thing here in PA on Oct 22nd last year. The few days following even had lots of mature bucks on their feet. Youre in the NW part of the state I'm guessing. Mercer/Crawford here
Hesseltine32
Facebook: 6961 castle ct

Unread postby Hesseltine32 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:47 pm

Ajazwinski88 wrote:
Octoberjohn wrote:I know I always try and be in the stand right after the first big cold front. I definitely see an increase in deer movement at this time. All of the scrapes get hit, still mostly at night, but from my trail cameras late evening can be productive as well at the scrapes that are back in the timber when he bucks are moving from bed to feed. This is about the only time of the year that I like to set up right on a scrape.

Funny I noticed the same thing here in PA on Oct 22nd last year. The few days following even had lots of mature bucks on their feet. Youre in the NW part of the state I'm guessing. Mercer/Crawford here

I had the same thing happen last year down in Maryland right around then. There was a lot of big bucks shot in my area then.
Hunting backyard bucks
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:31 pm

Set ups would be no different for me . Playing a wind according to bedding location . I feel that first Oct cold front is one of the best times for a big buck to move more in daylight . Also immediately after an all day rain associated with that cold front . Be out there when it passes.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:49 am

Ajazwinski88 wrote:

We absolutely had a cold front move thru on the 22nd last year in PA. I was not able to hunt this day, but I'm sure there was a lot of orange in the woods being the final day of antlerless muzzleloader. But in talking to my cousin at a family gathering the following day, he said he took the wrong weapon in the woods that day. According to him, there was good morning buck movement in Jefferson County.

If a cold front rolls in get out there!
Southern Buck

Unread postby Southern Buck » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:17 am

Josh_S wrote:
Ajazwinski88 wrote:

We absolutely had a cold front move thru on the 22nd last year in PA. I was not able to hunt this day, but I'm sure there was a lot of orange in the woods being the final day of antlerless muzzleloader. But in talking to my cousin at a family gathering the following day, he said he took the wrong weapon in the woods that day. According to him, there was good morning buck movement in Jefferson County.

If a cold front rolls in get out there!

Same here in MS on the morning of the 22nd. Got my first bow kill that day. Bucks were on there feet that day for sure. I know Mark Drury is big on mornings that first cold front of the year regardless of where it falls in the month of October.
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. John 20:31
Bowfisher

Unread postby Bowfisher » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:13 am

Last year on October 22nd I saw my #1 buck, the largest antlered deer I have ever laid eyes on. Had him come to 60 but didn't close the gap because he got pre occupied with some does. Very interesting to hear multiple guys refferring to that exact date. Must be something there :think: This is in WV, and it was a cold front here as well.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:23 am

E72 wrote:Set ups would be no different for me . Playing a wind according to bedding location . I feel that first Oct cold front is one of the best times for a big buck to move more in daylight . Also immediately after an all day rain associated with that cold front . Be out there when it passes.

X2...I like cold fronts anytime! Especially if there's rain associated with it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”