Clearcut - hang a stand in the canopy?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: Clearcut - hang a stand in the canopy?

Unread postby headgear » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:18 am

Also think of ground hunting as an investment in your hunting future. The more beds you find the more you will find where ground hunting might be the only way to get then, it can be a very necessary skill to learn if you are a beast hunter. It also makes a lot of sense for older hunters who don't want to drag and stand and sticks with them all the time, I know I probably won't be doing at 80 what I do now near 40 years old so getting good on the ground could literally pay off for the rest of your life.

mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:56 am

Ground hunting, all I did prior to 2006. Always seen lots of deer. I would wear a head net, and then tuck myself into a pine, or a spot where other trees would break up my pattern. My problem was I was shooting rh, with a left dominant eye, so I would have issues finding the deer in my scope.

I read a lot of the "Ken Norberd hunting almanacs". He did lots of ground hunting.
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:36 am

I have shot plenty of bucks out in the open in straight limbless trees. The trick is blending in with the tree. Face the deer. Back to the tree. No back packs, jackets, or monster stands hanging off the tree attracting notice.[/quote]

I would add,
Try to stand as much as you can. keeping your back pasted against the tree to blend in with the trunk as Dan said.
For those of you that prefer sitting to shoot, that could be a problem, as you no doubt will be sillhoueted against the sky and really stick out like some overgrown mushroom.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:27 am

I like a natural ground blind setup. I've had a lot of luck hunting them. If I were you I'd position myself close to one of the sintinel trees and trim a few lanes to either side.
Last edited by Divergent on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:28 am

I like a natural ground blind setup. I've had a lot of luck hunting them. If I were you I'd position myself close to one of the sintinel trees and trim a few lanes to either side.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:09 am

I found deer in a cutover once with not much for trees in the area. There was one younger red oak tree though that I made work. The tree had a little bit bigger diameter than a basketball. It was also covered in limbs and the tree was probably similar to what your talking about, height wise. This tree was probably 50 ft tall. The spot also had limited visibility only 50-60 yards. I marked it while scouting and came up with a plan of attack.

The day of the hunt I picked my way to the tree through a mess of tall briars. I got to the tree and used one stick at the base of the tree. That got me high enough to reach the first few limbs. I had my lw assault and a pump shotgun over my shoulders then went up tree limbs till I was 35 ft or so. I also had my harness and linemans strap. A fanny pack with water and snacks. Just remember, 3 points of contact and check to make sure the branches are alive. It still wasn't easy with all the extra weight, so you might want carry bare minimums if going this route.

After I got to where I wanted to set the stand I attached my linemans and had a saw handy and quickly quietly popped off a few limbs I needed removed. The leaves had turned brown but hadn't dropped yet and I was able to just hang the limbs up in the tree just below my line of sight. I wasn't able to stand up on my platform but was comfortable shooting while seated. I settled in and had does around me almost immediately and several groups hung around me all morning. I remember wanting snacks and water at one point but couldn't move much without risking being busted.

I kept hoping for mr.big but I shot 2 does back to back at about 10:30 am after a very edge of my seat hunt without being able to relax the entire time.
I had limited hunting time at this location or I might have waited for a buck. Also, I really felt like I was burning a bridge hunting this way but it was the only way I could penetrate and try to kill what was there. It can be done find a method that you can make work!

Going this route with a bow would be substantially more difficult because a pull-up rope didn't feasible, it would have been a tangled nightmare. Movement to get the shot off with a bow, plus limbs, plus shot angle would have been tough. I was within bow range but that slug gun was a better option.

Good luck
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:21 am

Redman232 wrote:I'd hunt off the ground or off the backside of a tree before I attempted shot angles from 40' up.

x2
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:54 pm

You have to hunt them where they live
Killemquietly

Unread postby Killemquietly » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:07 am

X2 on the natural blind setup. You have time to go in now and trim and position stuff just how you want it. Minimum gear, maximum quiet entry. I'd have to say you'd at least cut your chances of getting busted by half compared to trying to get nosebleed high. NOT to mention the first time you poke one eye to eye, addiction sets in. Somebody mentioned BowNinjas videos, THEY are excellent check them out. But he sits straight legged on the ground, I just can't sit still doing that and prefer a small stool or Dean Torges style tree seat.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:28 am

Nice pics...coming from one w/minimal beast experience, ground. Even though most like hang-ons, sometimes ground is the only way, and the only way to figure it out is to try it. I do like the fact that you are thinking outside the box :clap: :clap:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”