Got permission on a new property today

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Got permission on a new property today

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:04 pm

I haven't been looking for a new place to hunt but I just got permission on 410 acres in SE Ohio today. The farmer said that no one really bow hunts it but it does get gun pressure from the neighbors. He is also going to let me bring my boy over there to hunt for Ohio youth season. Wish I would have gotten permission in February or March when I could have learned more with a few days of scouting. He is going to show me around on it next week so I'll see if I can find any big tracks around the crop fields and get a couple cameras out. I know there are some big bucks around that area, hopefully be able to figure the place out and get up close to one of them.

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Got permission on a new property today

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:06 pm

Good deal, good luck to u and your boy
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:46 pm

Good for you. Word of advice from a guy who has almost got his lights punched out in this situation. If the landowner is older and may have forgotten who he gave permission to and said you are likely the only bow hunter be careful. That's a very large area of land to hunt. One year I was told I had sole access. After putting notes on cameras and stands I was confronted by 2 guys who have been there 25 years but the farmers mind forgot. I walked away from that land after some deep explaining about what was going on. Goodluck
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:40 pm

Good luck and congrats. Hopefully the landowner had some good tips for you based on past experience.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:18 pm

That is awesome, man! I have decided that you just can't get permission in Texas.... between letters and door knocking, I have reached out to 200-250 landowners in 3 years, with zero permission granted. Everyone either wants a wallet full of cash, or has a cousin that "has rights" on huntin' it.
Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:33 pm

IkemanTx wrote:That is awesome, man! I have decided that you just can't get permission in Texas.... between letters and door knocking, I have reached out to 200-250 landowners in 3 years, with zero permission granted. Everyone either wants a wallet full of cash, or has a cousin that "has rights" on huntin' it.

Same in LA...Everything that can support a deer is a high dollar lease or family hunts it... Heck even our tidal marshes are getting gated off and posted more and more everyday.. It amazes me how common it is to get permission further north. Don't take it for granted fellas!

And congrats on the new property! Hopefully the youth hunt is a success!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:40 pm

Congrats! :dance:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:14 pm

IkemanTx wrote:That is awesome, man! I have decided that you just can't get permission in Texas.... between letters and door knocking, I have reached out to 200-250 landowners in 3 years, with zero permission granted. Everyone either wants a wallet full of cash, or has a cousin that "has rights" on huntin' it.

Ikeman what part of Tx do u hunt? If it's in the South u r pretty much screwed. Those landowners want upwards of 5grand per hunter. Rural small towns with low deer population lots of cover and food is where it's at.. Most hunters in our state are used to seeing 30 deer per sit, and can't handle the low deer pop cause God forbid they go afew sits with no action. So what u have is deer reaching full maturity and no hunters wanting to hunt them thus no market for leasing. Knocking doors is no Bueno anymore if they even answer there eithier expecting to get robbed or someone trying to sell them something. Letters no good cause there not personal enough lol. The trick is to get them to ask u to hunt it.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:47 pm

Holy cow man that's awesome! I have been looking for land over there myself and been striking out big time lol. Good luck on it this year!
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:19 am

hunter10 wrote:Good for you. Word of advice from a guy who has almost got his lights punched out in this situation. If the landowner is older and may have forgotten who he gave permission to and said you are likely the only bow hunter be careful. That's a very large area of land to hunt. One year I was told I had sole access. After putting notes on cameras and stands I was confronted by 2 guys who have been there 25 years but the farmers mind forgot. I walked away from that land after some deep explaining about what was going on. Goodluck

Very good point. I'll be on the lookout for others hunting the area and talk with the landowner before taking any action on others hunting in there.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:20 am

flinginairos wrote:Holy cow man that's awesome! I have been looking for land over there myself and been striking out big time lol. Good luck on it this year!

Thanks, it was a place that I could have been hunting for years. Just was right under my nose and couldn't see it while I was looking off into the distance.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:33 am

Great news WV! Nothing like acquitting a new piece of land to hunt..especially that big! Like hunter10 said just expect that there will be more people already hunting that piece than the landowner knows. Some may have actually been giving permission at some point while others could very well be trespassing. I just got 80 acres this past winter and I found 3 stands while scouting it. The landowner is older and doesn't get down into his woods anymore. I'm the only one with permission. I have a pretty good idea that several neighbors are sneaking onto his land, so that's what I'll be dealing with fall, but that's ok because the landowner is now grateful that someone will be looking over his land. I guess the point I'm getting it, is as you scout and hunt the property chances are you will run into people, stands, cut fences, trash etc.. Keep the landowner informed of what you find and you will quickly gain his trust and form a solid relationship. Conrgats again on the land score!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”