Drone Usage?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Drone Usage?

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:10 pm

I don't feel like my post season use of drone is cheating. I'm not out harassing people or trying to spot deer. My aerials and google earth pics just plain stink, looks like a close up of the inside of a Christmas tree. I know this isn't for everyone, and agree boots on the ground is the way to go, but not every situation allows it. I think opinions are based on how a hunters hunts and the state he resides in. Shinning for example is perfectly except able to those in states where it's legal ask a guy from a state where it's not and u are liable to hear foul play. I've let the actions of other hunters take away from my own enjoyment my entire hunting life. As of recently I stole one out of Dans playbook, I'm just worrying about me,and as long as what the other guy is doing is legal more power to em! Complaining and bickering never seemed to change anything just made matters worse.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:38 pm

Outdoor814 wrote:
Jonny wrote:
woodswalker wrote:How can it be fair chase to use a drone as an actual part of a hunt? In many states of you fly into a camp, you are not allowed to hunt until the next day. There is a good reason for that, so the hunter and the pilot do not use the plane to locate animals and then immediately hunt for the animals. It may seem like fair chase to some but it sure is not fair chase to send out a machine to report back to you where the quarry is so you can then pursue it. In my state it is unlawful to drive around trying to locate game with your vehicle and then get out and try to kill that animal and I am glad it is and those who get caught doing it get prosecuted. Substituting machines and gadgets and gizmos for out door skills cheapen the act of hunting.

If you are using it to locate deer to go out and kill that day, then by no means is it fair chase.

Now if you are using it as a scouting tool out of season, to me it is no different than using google earth.

That's apples and oranges.

Two different ways to get the same thing is apples and oranges? Seems like a red delicious vs golden delicious comparison. Two different things but I can make apple pie out of both. Some like one over the other which is fine. But in the end, an apple is an apple, and an aerial photo is an aerial photo. :think:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
woodswalker
500 Club
Facebook: don't do face book

Unread postby woodswalker » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:34 pm

deleted
Life is short, eat dessert first!
bowfreak8
500 Club

Unread postby bowfreak8 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:11 am

Drones for scouting i'm OK with. Drones for spotting deer then going after them I am not.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:15 am

For me we hunters already have all the advantages we should be given. Drones, cell cameras, etc. are where I personally drew a line in the sand. Heck I still don't believe crossbows belong in archery season - but we all draw our lines where we are willing to. I love the challenge so I limit equipment that I perceive takes away from that challenge. But some might have issue with where I drew the line in the sand... That's fair and legit. In the end, we are responsible for our choices and when the non-hunting public perceives we have unfair advantage they will work even harder to take away our choices.
woodswalker
500 Club

Unread postby woodswalker » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:40 am

You make a very valid point! We as hunters are very much outnumbered by non hunters. Not all non hunters are anti hunters, but they can be turned by behavior they believe is not ethical. We all know that politicians if given enough pressure by the voters will cave in and if they believe it benefits them. When hunters, and a substantial number of them believe the use of drones in hunting is unethical and not fair chase it isn't a stretch to believe non hunters will not believe it is fair chase either and bring pressure to bear on legislators to restrict hunting in a big way.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:45 am

I just believe if non hunters are fine ethic wise with sniper rifles, crossbows, high fences, guided hunts, deer drives, corn feeders, range finders, mechanical broadheads, release aids, bow levels, single shot rifles disguised as primitive weapons etc... A man getting airial photos with a drone is not gonna be the reason.
-John Wayne-
woodswalker
500 Club

Unread postby woodswalker » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:57 am

We are not talking about aerial photos as a scouting tool before hunting. We are talking now about using the drone to locate and then hunt the animal as part of a hunt, not as part of scouting although I believe that will a disturbance the deer do not need and could be considered harassment if a person follows deer with a drone. It would be harassment in my state.
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:03 am

Exactly. Using a drone to freaking locate a buck and then move in on him? Who are we kidding, that crosses a line.

If you want to see how a mature buck reacts to a drone check this out:

https://youtu.be/OkeT-GVop3U

woodswalker wrote:How can it be fair chase to use a drone as an actual part of a hunt? In many states of you fly into a camp, you are not allowed to hunt until the next day. There is a good reason for that, so the hunter and the pilot do not use the plane to locate animals and then immediately hunt for the animals. It may seem like fair chase to some but it sure is not fair chase to send out a machine to report back to you where the quarry is so you can then pursue it. In my state it is unlawful to drive around trying to locate game with your vehicle and then get out and try to kill that animal and I am glad it is and those who get caught doing it get prosecuted. Substituting machines and gadgets and gizmos for out door skills cheapen the act of hunting.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:25 am

woodswalker wrote:We are not talking about aerial photos as a scouting tool before hunting. We are talking now about using the drone to locate and then hunt the animal as part of a hunt, not as part of scouting although I believe that will a disturbance the deer do not need and could be considered harassment if a person follows deer with a drone. It would be harassment in my state.

100% agree! I misunderstood carry on
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”