Upgrading arrows...Help me choose

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Upgrading arrows...Help me choose

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:39 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:I shoot carbon express new maxima blu. Great flying arrows but cost a arm and part of a leg.At 15.80 average a arrow. They are not practice arrows lol.

I shoot 28 inch draw so my arrows are spine 250 which cost alot more then the 350 spines.

Carbon express piledrivers are pretty good ,price is reasonable like 65.00 for 6 arrows.

Thats them! Those are the ones I had my heart set on. Glad to hear they are everything I thought they would be... Good info

Brickhouse

Unread postby Brickhouse » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:02 pm

Whitetailaddict wrote:I hear ya on double posts which is why I created two of the same threads by accident and don't know how to delete the other one. From what I've read it does seem like smaller diameter is better but I've read about how some of these smaller diameter arrows I've mentioned have the outserts which some people claim makes it difficult to shoot some broadheads especially fixed blades. Any experience with differences found between outserts/inserts. If outserts are a problem I can probably eliminate half of the arrows I'm considering. I know everyone has their favorites but I'm hoping to find one that fits what I need.

Just saw this and also wanted to add I had a dozen victory vaps at one point which had the outserts instead of inserts. I had major issues with the outserts bending. I just got them for punching foam but I wasn't happy with those outserts. I tried putting a deep 6 insert in one of the arrows and it was fine, but figured I might as well stick with injexions at that point. Yes the deep 6 broadhead selection sucks, but there are enough out there to find something you like. If you're sold on the micro diameter arrows, I'd stay away from outserts.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:23 pm

Are we talking aluminum outserts or quality steel? These are the only outserts I have ever shot so I don't have much experience in this department but all I shoot at are stumps and such and I've fired each arrow well over a thousand times and never seen any signs of a problem. I like the tapered effect, once it sinks past the outsert the diameter is drastically reduced for ease of penetration. I shoot a 60# recurve so I take all the extra umphh I can muster up.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
1bhtr

Unread postby 1bhtr » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:41 pm

I've shot easton axis for over ten years and really like them, much better penetration than lighter arrow I used to shoot, its been so long I don't remember I think it was PSE brand. Back in 2005 I shot my biggest bodied buck at 20 yards and hit the flat blade of the shoulder, it blew through and stopped on the hide of the other side breaking the opposite leg as well. That deer field dressed at 226lbs so it was mature animal. This was with the axis 400, 29 inch draw 63lbs hoyt vortec, 100 grain thunderhead,shoots around 230 fps with this set up. I shoot many deer every year and have been very happy with the axis... I can't comment on any of the others because I haven't researched them do to these working for me... I believe I pay around 11.00 per arrow at my local pro shop.
Brickhouse

Unread postby Brickhouse » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:47 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Are we talking aluminum outserts or quality steel? These are the only outserts I have ever shot so I don't have much experience in this department but all I shoot at are stumps and such and I've fired each arrow well over a thousand times and never seen any signs of a problem. I like the tapered effect, once it sinks past the outsert the diameter is drastically reduced for ease of penetration. I shoot a 60# recurve so I take all the extra umphh I can muster up.

The ones I had were steel. If I remember right they also have some titanium outserts for those arrows. Might be something to look into as well
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:22 pm

I switched this year from Easton aftermath to Easton axis. Penetration with those arrows are insane. Just don't shoot them at a 3D course. It took me and two other friends to pull them out, even after greased.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:42 pm

Jhand wrote:If all your doing is hunting deer you shouldn't have any problems with penetration at 68lb. What's your current arrow weight?

My current arrow weight is 422 gr with everything. I have not calculated my FOC and not sure if that would improve penetration if I messed with that. I am also going to check the tune of my bow again this weekend to make sure that is not causing any issues.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:46 pm

Motivated wrote:Did you test your current arrow with the fixed blade broadheads yet? Compared to the mechanicals, I'm sure that will have some effect on penetration right there...

I have not tested them with fixed vs mechanical yet but I agree this will aid in penetration. I have nothing against mechanicals as I have a lot of friends/family that use them but for me I just want to try something different to find what works best for me.
JShea

Unread postby JShea » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:51 pm

Www.blackeaglearrows.com
I have used several different kinds of these for 3d and hunting. Excellent arrows for toughness, price and consistency.
I use the Spartan for hunting you can get a brass insert for them. They are skinnier than a .246 size arrow but big enough for inserts.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:54 pm

Brickhouse wrote:
Whitetailaddict wrote:I hear ya on double posts which is why I created two of the same threads by accident and don't know how to delete the other one. From what I've read it does seem like smaller diameter is better but I've read about how some of these smaller diameter arrows I've mentioned have the outserts which some people claim makes it difficult to shoot some broadheads especially fixed blades. Any experience with differences found between outserts/inserts. If outserts are a problem I can probably eliminate half of the arrows I'm considering. I know everyone has their favorites but I'm hoping to find one that fits what I need.

Just saw this and also wanted to add I had a dozen victory vaps at one point which had the outserts instead of inserts. I had major issues with the outserts bending. I just got them for punching foam but I wasn't happy with those outserts. I tried putting a deep 6 insert in one of the arrows and it was fine, but figured I might as well stick with injexions at that point. Yes the deep 6 broadhead selection sucks, but there are enough out there to find something you like. If you're sold on the micro diameter arrows, I'd stay away from outserts.

Besides the outserts bending did you notice any other issues with them especially when shooting broadheads. I have also looked at the carbon injexions so it's good to know you've liked them and have not had any issues with them splitting. As you know there is a lot of info out there and to try and sort through it to find out what will actually make a difference will make your head spin. If decreasing diameter is only going to get you a 1-2 more inches of penetration will that really make a significant difference in most cases? I don't know. People always talk about the heavier arrows and smaller diameter and the physics behind it. I'm not saying that is not true I am just wondering will we see such a big improvement that it is worth a switch or the extra money to buy it. That is what I'm trying to sort through.
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:26 am

You could check out Easton bloodline. They're a 6mm arrow. I liked mine and they go for a fair price.
Brickhouse

Unread postby Brickhouse » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:53 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:
Brickhouse wrote:

Besides the outserts bending did you notice any other issues with them especially when shooting broadheads. I have also looked at the carbon injexions so it's good to know you've liked them and have not had any issues with them splitting. As you know there is a lot of info out there and to try and sort through it to find out what will actually make a difference will make your head spin. If decreasing diameter is only going to get you a 1-2 more inches of penetration will that really make a significant difference in most cases? I don't know. People always talk about the heavier arrows and smaller diameter and the physics behind it. I'm not saying that is not true I am just wondering will we see such a big improvement that it is worth a switch or the extra money to buy it. That is what I'm trying to sort through.

I never did shoot broadheads with them but no i didn't have any other issues with them. They are a great quality arrow, other than the outsert in my opinion. But like I said I'm pretty sure they also have a titanium insert option that should be a lot stronger.
AvidHunter88

Unread postby AvidHunter88 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:10 am

Kind of a different direction then naming a an actual arrow/brand combination but when I last switched arrows I went to my archery shop and shot tons of different arrows while paper tuning until I found what worked with my bow/draw weight/etc. They were also able to use a chronograph and scale to give me how many ft/lbs of force the arrow had. Not sure if I explained that very well but there's probably people on here that understand the technical piece of this much better that could chime in on how it all works. They even helped fixed a problem I had with my form that I never even knew I had :doh:
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:11 am

csoult wrote:I switched this year from Easton aftermath to Easton axis. Penetration with those arrows are insane. Just don't shoot them at a 3D course. It took me and two other friends to pull them out, even after greased.

Shoot a 3D course with guys shooting other brands/sizes of arrows and you will have the hardest time pulling Easton Axis or Easton FMJ's. Hands down the best hunting arrow you can shoot off a compound IMO. Traditional is a different story.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
JShea

Unread postby JShea » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:01 am

Www.blackeaglearrows.com
I have used several different kinds of these for 3d and hunting. Excellent arrows for toughness, price and consistency.
I use the Spartan for hunting you can get a brass insert for them. They are skinnier than a .246 size arrow but big enough for inserts.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”