Upgrading arrows...Help me choose

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Upgrading arrows...Help me choose

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:38 am

I am running low on my current arrows (Beman ICS Hunters). I am looking into getting new arrows and I am having a hard time sorting through all the advertisements with this arrow hits harder, this one drifts less, this one is built like a brick, etc. So I'm hoping some fellow beast members can share some opinions and what they have liked/disliked with current and past arrows. The reason for me switching is I feel I'm not getting the penetration that I would like with my setup (28in draw/68#) so I'm wanting something heavier and smaller diameter. I want the arrow to be accurate, durable, deep penetrating and reasonably fast (although I realize with weight this will be affected). I will also be switching from mechanical to fixed blades (Slick Trick) this year for increased penetration. Some questions I have are does the micro diameter arrows make a big difference in penetration? Are the micro diameter arrows that have outserts (Bloodsport, Victory) more difficult to shoot with fixed blades? Are the deep six arrows by Easton worth it with the lack of broadhead selection and I've read that these arrows or broadheads are weak by the insert and break easily. These are some of the things I have read and have no experience with. Some of the arrows I'm considering are: Easton FMJ injexion, Easton 5mm FMJ, Easton Axis, Bloodsport Evidence micro diameter, Victory VAP, Carbon Express Maxima Red SD, Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce Platinum or Black Eagle Deep impact. I haven't found anything on these topics in old forums so I'm hoping you guys can help me pick a winning combo.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Upgrading arrows...Help me choose

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:48 am

Whitetailaddict wrote:I am running low on my current arrows (Beman ICS Hunters). I am looking into getting new arrows and I am having a hard time sorting through all the advertisements with this arrow hits harder, this one drifts less, this one is built like a brick, etc. So I'm hoping some fellow beast members can share some opinions and what they have liked/disliked with current and past arrows. The reason for me switching is I feel I'm not getting the penetration that I would like with my setup (28in draw/68#) so I'm wanting something heavier and smaller diameter. I want the arrow to be accurate, durable, deep penetrating and reasonably fast (although I realize with weight this will be affected). I will also be switching from mechanical to fixed blades (Slick Trick) this year for increased penetration. Some questions I have are does the micro diameter arrows make a big difference in penetration? Are the micro diameter arrows that have outserts (Bloodsport, Victory) more difficult to shoot with fixed blades? Are the deep six arrows by Easton worth it with the lack of broadhead selection and I've read that these arrows or broadheads are weak by the insert and break easily. These are some of the things I have read and have no experience with. Some of the arrows I'm considering are: Easton FMJ injexion, Easton 5mm FMJ, Easton Axis, Bloodsport Evidence micro diameter, Victory VAP, Carbon Express Maxima Red SD, Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce Platinum or Black Eagle Deep impact. I haven't found anything on these topics in old forums so I'm hoping you guys can help me pick a winning combo.

Well some of the best wisdom a member has given me about arrow selection is skinny diameter for cutting the wind. We are bed hunters and part of that is hunting higher mph wind so that we have confidence the buck bedding in that location. Also higher FOC for punch. I buy in completely! Shoot what makes you confident bc thats all that matters when the moment of truth comes.
Last edited by <DK> on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:51 am

Edit - Stupid double posts...
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:02 am

I hear ya on double posts which is why I created two of the same threads by accident and don't know how to delete the other one. From what I've read it does seem like smaller diameter is better but I've read about how some of these smaller diameter arrows I've mentioned have the outserts which some people claim makes it difficult to shoot some broadheads especially fixed blades. Any experience with differences found between outserts/inserts. If outserts are a problem I can probably eliminate half of the arrows I'm considering. I know everyone has their favorites but I'm hoping to find one that fits what I need.
Jhand
500 Club
Facebook: n/a

Unread postby Jhand » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:20 am

If all your doing is hunting deer you shouldn't have any problems with penetration at 68lb. What's your current arrow weight?
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:33 am

I went from the kinetic kaos to the pierce platinum. They absolutely pound the targets. Even with a 27dl and 70lb I was getting better penetration than most of the other arrows in my group at the tth. The one comparable was the 4mm fmj injex. If I remember right he said he was 29dl and was shooting 70lb. Just what we had observed in the group.

I will say I believe the ballistic collars tear up the foam targets and like to get hung up on bags trying to pull them out. I shoot A LOT but I feel my targets shouldn't be falling apart as quickly
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:38 am

I switched from Beman ICS Hunters to Gold Tip Expedition Hunters and saw a dramatic difference in durability. I've pulled arrows (GT's) out of trees and they flex-tested fine and still shot straight as could be. The same could not be said for Beman's though..

Never bothered shooting anything besides those two brands but I have bought/broken my fair share of both companies arrows and the GT's seemed to hold up much better overall
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:51 am

I shot beman ics Bowhunter for years loved em good product great price. I switched to black eagle instincts and like them a lot. They are a micro shaft that come with a tapered 100 grain outsert, they also have less gpi than most other micros which is what I was looking for so I can distribute more weight to the front. Beman also makes a center shot that has a better punch than the ICS. Good luck
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:16 pm

Whitetailaddict wrote:I hear ya on double posts which is why I created two of the same threads by accident and don't know how to delete the other one. From what I've read it does seem like smaller diameter is better but I've read about how some of these smaller diameter arrows I've mentioned have the outserts which some people claim makes it difficult to shoot some broadheads especially fixed blades. Any experience with differences found between outserts/inserts. If outserts are a problem I can probably eliminate half of the arrows I'm considering. I know everyone has their favorites but I'm hoping to find one that fits what I need.

Before the site crashed we were able to delete posts.

You are correct w skinnier arrows it can be a pain finding right inserts. I believe that once you get below 6mm arrows then you need outserts? Easton just came out w 6mm FMJs. I think those are heavier but hey they get penetration. I havent dove into the stats on them so im not 100% but very intriguing... Skinnier arrows have thinner walls also so durablilty can be a question mark but if im shooting at a mature buck idc if the arrow survives the crash or not.

Right now i shoot CExpress Whitetails. I really like them for the price. I just cant afford better this season. As for the future im going Easton or Victory. Guys cant say enough about how good Easton Hexx arrows fly.

However after researching FOC i found out that CExpress made some called Maximas. They were advertised as "Dual Spine" for better FOC flight and tuning. The ones I decided on are apparently discontinued... Some guy on archery talk did some measuring and stats about them apparently found very little to be excited about but he didnt do flight tests I dont believe. Just the math part. I thought the arrow was a great idea but never got to actually try them. Now a 12 pack is off the charts outrages bc I guess they are leaving the market...
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:32 pm

Here is a brand iv been wanting to try. Having them cut and fletched the way you want racks up the price in the cart but im intrigued by them bc of wide selection. I think that I come across these on accident.

https://deercrossingarchery.com
Pullintoobs
500 Club

Unread postby Pullintoobs » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:39 pm

I don't keep up on all the new arrows out on the market. I think any arrow will be sufficient as long as it is spined correctly for your weight. These arrows out there are so overpriced it is unbelievable. I started hunting when I was 12. Back in 1983. killed many deer shooting those old aluminum gamegetters and xx75"s. I really dont think one arrow or another is going to improve accuracy or killing power shooting todays bows. I I thnk they are all pretty darn good nowadays.
An unforseen future...Nestled somewhere in time
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:43 pm

I shoot carbon express new maxima blu. Great flying arrows but cost a arm and part of a leg.At 15.80 average a arrow. They are not practice arrows lol.

I shoot 28 inch draw so my arrows are spine 250 which cost alot more then the 350 spines.

Carbon express piledrivers are pretty good ,price is reasonable like 65.00 for 6 arrows.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:07 pm

Did you test your current arrow with the fixed blade broadheads yet? Compared to the mechanicals, I'm sure that will have some effect on penetration right there...
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Brickhouse

Unread postby Brickhouse » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:29 pm

Whitetailaddict wrote:I want the arrow to be accurate, durable, deep penetrating and reasonably fast (although I realize with weight this will be affected). I will also be switching from mechanical to fixed blades (Slick Trick) this year for increased penetration. Some questions I have are does the micro diameter arrows make a big difference in penetration? Are the micro diameter arrows that have outserts (Bloodsport, Victory) more difficult to shoot with fixed blades? Are the deep six arrows by Easton worth it with the lack of broadhead selection and I've read that these arrows or broadheads are weak by the insert and break easily. These are some of the things I have read and have no experience with. Some of the arrows I'm considering are: Easton FMJ injexion, Easton 5mm FMJ, Easton Axis, Bloodsport Evidence micro diameter, Victory VAP, Carbon Express Maxima Red SD, Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce Platinum or Black Eagle Deep impact. I haven't found anything on these topics in old forums so I'm hoping you guys can help me pick a winning combo.

Everything you just said right there says easton carbon injexion. I've been shooting them for 3 out of the past 4 years and I can say that penetration is absolutely better with them compared to larger diameter arrows. Last year I shot the fmj injexions and didn't like them as much as the regular injexions. A couple tricks- I put 2 of the deep 6 inserts in each arrow (increases foc a bit). To solve the issue of splitting at the end you can take a 1" piece of aluminum arrow (i think 1816 or 1814 was the correct inside diameter) and epoxy it the the very end of the arrow. I've never done this because I never had an issue with them splitting. Hope this helps
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:37 pm

Brickhouse wrote:
Whitetailaddict wrote:I want the arrow to be accurate, durable, deep penetrating and reasonably fast (although I realize with weight this will be affected). I will also be switching from mechanical to fixed blades (Slick Trick) this year for increased penetration. Some questions I have are does the micro diameter arrows make a big difference in penetration? Are the micro diameter arrows that have outserts (Bloodsport, Victory) more difficult to shoot with fixed blades? Are the deep six arrows by Easton worth it with the lack of broadhead selection and I've read that these arrows or broadheads are weak by the insert and break easily. These are some of the things I have read and have no experience with. Some of the arrows I'm considering are: Easton FMJ injexion, Easton 5mm FMJ, Easton Axis, Bloodsport Evidence micro diameter, Victory VAP, Carbon Express Maxima Red SD, Gold Tip Kinetic Pierce Platinum or Black Eagle Deep impact. I haven't found anything on these topics in old forums so I'm hoping you guys can help me pick a winning combo.

Everything you just said right there says easton carbon injexion. I've been shooting them for 3 out of the past 4 years and I can say that penetration is absolutely better with them compared to larger diameter arrows. Last year I shot the fmj injexions and didn't like them as much as the regular injexions. A couple tricks- I put 2 of the deep 6 inserts in each arrow (increases foc a bit). To solve the issue of splitting at the end you can take a 1" piece of aluminum arrow (i think 1816 or 1814 was the correct inside diameter) and epoxy it the the very end of the arrow. I've never done this because I never had an issue with them splitting. Hope this helps

Great info! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”