Wind question for swamp hunters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Wind question for swamp hunters

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:26 pm

Do you think that bedding is wind based like hill country. What I mean is does a buck bed on the transition humps in a swamp on the leeward side of the swamp. Like this:

Tuf- The below average hunting beast
tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Wind question for swamp hunters

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:18 pm

I seem to remember Dan saying, not all of swamp bedding is wind specific. Unless they are on a point of an island. Then they like to bed with the wind coming from the land and blowing off the end of the point they're bedding on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:23 pm

Wind based bedding is everywhere... There is more of it in hill country and farm than other terrains though... You should be able to look at the beds and figure out if there wind based. Most interior bedding that is not right on a transition is not wind based.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:29 am

Points are wind based, other swamp bedding not as much. However the can and do bed in different swamps based on the wind. Sometimes if that is a small hump or island they will adjust their beds a little bit. Other times say you have a large bedding area with small humps everywhere like a tamarack swamp things get a little more interesting. They might move 50 or even 200 yards away and can surprise you, I recall jumping a buck one time at 40 yards because he was bedding much closer to my entry than anticipated, its just one of those fine tuning things you learn along the way. Just remember to learn from every piece of intel possible, these encounters where I messed up are tattooed on my brain and I know right where to hunt in this swamp next time I get that certain wind.
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:37 am

What are the indicators if a swamp bed is wind-based?

dan wrote:Wind based bedding is everywhere... There is more of it in hill country and farm than other terrains though... You should be able to look at the beds and figure out if there wind based. Most interior bedding that is not right on a transition is not wind based.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:50 am

comeback_kid wrote:What are the indicators if a swamp bed is wind-based?

dan wrote:Wind based bedding is everywhere... There is more of it in hill country and farm than other terrains though... You should be able to look at the beds and figure out if there wind based. Most interior bedding that is not right on a transition is not wind based.

A bed right on a transition, like hardwood trees against dogwood for example is usually wind specific. When beds have an obstacle to one side, like a downed tree, heavy brush, etc. and are more open in the other direction, those are generally wind based.

Beds in thick areas, with lots of beds, like in cover, are usually not wind based.
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:12 am

So, this bed I found with the fallen tree is wind based? Is his back to the log?

If his back to the log, then does that log blocking the wind affect his ability to scent check the wind on his back?

Thanks Dan.

dan wrote:
comeback_kid wrote:What are the indicators if a swamp bed is wind-based?

A bed right on a transition, like hardwood trees against dogwood for example is usually wind specific. When beds have an obstacle to one side, like a downed tree, heavy brush, etc. and are more open in the other direction, those are generally wind based.

Beds in thick areas, with lots of beds, like in cover, are usually not wind based.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:31 am

comeback_kid wrote:So, this bed I found with the fallen tree is wind based? Is his back to the log?

If his back to the log, then does that log blocking the wind affect his ability to scent check the wind on his back?

Yes, it is wind based. And no the log will not effect his ability to scent check from behind.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:55 am

So, he's definitely putting his back to the log? So he can see out in front?

tgreeno wrote:
comeback_kid wrote:So, this bed I found with the fallen tree is wind based? Is his back to the log?

Yes, it is wind based. And no the log will not effect his ability to scent check from behind.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:02 am

comeback_kid wrote:So, he's definitely putting his back to the log? So he can see out in front?

tgreeno wrote:

Yes, He's looking the direction of the camera. From the picture it looks like his but is right where the bare ground is. and he's facing towards those saplings. You can even see, the back of his but is probably leaning against that dead chunk of wood. See how it's all worn close to the ground.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:15 pm

So if I have a bed north west of a point what would be the ideal wind to sit that set will a South wind or south east be best..? If so I need to rethink my strategy I picked kill tree thinking it wouldn't be to wind specific but that my be cardinal sin #1
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:46 pm

JAK wrote:So if I have a bed north west of a point what would be the ideal wind to sit that set will a South wind or south east be best..? If so I need to rethink my strategy I picked kill tree thinking it wouldn't be to wind specific but that my be cardinal sin #1

Yes the best wind would be from the SE if i understand your description. The hard part is hunting just off with this wind so it doesn't reach the buck and your still in the game.

Why do deer like to bed with an obstacle to their back? Is it to hide them or is it due to a swirling effect the wind has around the obstacle that makes it easier for the deer to scent check the area behind them.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:55 pm

Those beds are there because the wind will swirl there no matter what direction its blowing.

Usually in the cypress they don't care which direction the wind blows during the day because the wind will die down at prime time and the thermals will pull scent from all directions to those points(same with cypress domes). It is reallllly tough to get close to bucks in those spots. I have wasted a lot of time trying.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Brickhouse

Unread postby Brickhouse » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:53 pm

How would you go about hunting a buck in a non wind based bed in a swamp situation? What variables come into play when you're trying to decide whether he's home or not?
slowpoke69

Unread postby slowpoke69 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:03 pm

Loving this thread. All questions I have too.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”