Dan Infalt on 9 finger podcast

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

gravebeforeshave80

Re: Dan Infalt on 9 finger podcast

Unread postby gravebeforeshave80 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:41 am

another tactic filled cram session for me...listened to it a couple times

Terry Urban Jr
NW OHIO
Defiant56

Unread postby Defiant56 » Thu May 25, 2017 6:57 am

I heard Dan say he has shot many bucks near roads on this podcast (as opposed to walking in miles deep into the center of the property). I hadn't heard that part before and it got me interested in looking for spots specifically near roads. When aerial and ground scouting should you focus in on roads that would never be walked on? Roads that separate terrain like agriculture on one side and woods, wetlands, CRP, pasture, etc...on the other? Any further tips on this would be appreciated. I've got my eye on some public that has a road separating wetlands from an ag field specifically with some small brushy cover patches that this got me thinking of.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu May 25, 2017 7:27 am

Defiant56 wrote:I heard Dan say he has shot many bucks near roads on this podcast (as opposed to walking in miles deep into the center of the property). I hadn't heard that part before and it got me interested in looking for spots specifically near roads. When aerial and ground scouting should you focus in on roads that would never be walked on? Roads that separate terrain like agriculture on one side and woods, wetlands, CRP, pasture, etc...on the other? Any further tips on this would be appreciated. I've got my eye on some public that has a road separating wetlands from an ag field specifically with some small brushy cover patches that this got me thinking of.

Mainly as long as the bedding area is overlooked by other hunters or gets no human intrusion. So a water barrier would be a big help. Like a small point of trees with thick understory almost surrounded by cattails. Or a really steep hillside with a bench or point for bedding.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu May 25, 2017 9:50 am

Defiant56 wrote:I heard Dan say he has shot many bucks near roads on this podcast (as opposed to walking in miles deep into the center of the property). I hadn't heard that part before and it got me interested in looking for spots specifically near roads. When aerial and ground scouting should you focus in on roads that would never be walked on? Roads that separate terrain like agriculture on one side and woods, wetlands, CRP, pasture, etc...on the other? Any further tips on this would be appreciated. I've got my eye on some public that has a road separating wetlands from an ag field specifically with some small brushy cover patches that this got me thinking of.

Read this article: http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/ ... ext-to-the

Or this one: http://wiredtohunt.com/2013/04/16/roads ... ill-bucks/
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Thu May 25, 2017 2:00 pm

Great podcast Dan I've got 3 spots to check out now close to the road but overlooked spots
pilgrimhunter

Unread postby pilgrimhunter » Thu May 25, 2017 3:08 pm

The part stood about Dan shooting most of his buck close to the road really jumped out at me also. Going to. Read those articles he posted links to tomorrow. Has me thinking. Thanks Dan!
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Thu May 25, 2017 3:23 pm

I listen to a ton of podcasts while driving for work. I saw this pop up while listening to a different one and immediately switched over. It didn't disappoint. Dan's original interview on W2H is how I ended up here and it has changed the way I think about hunting. I've heard most of what was discussed before, but hearing Dan's thoughts always gets the gears in my head turning. Also, hearing something before does not equal knowing it. I really enjoyed it.

Side note, I'm sure there is a separate post for this, but I just found it today and I can't wait to watch. Big Buck Registry did a 1 hour video with Dan and Mario going over maps. You can watch here- https://youtu.be/GeVepvZqkqA
http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
Waymore

Unread postby Waymore » Fri May 26, 2017 3:09 am

Another great podcast! The things that stood out for me was I think having that friendly competition is great as long you are doing it in a way that you are both benefiting from it. Sounds like you had the perfect scenario with another great hunter to push you even harder. That was the thing I always did when it came to sports but never had in hunting. The fact you said the majority of you best bucks "were a stones throw away from roads" was eye opening. Also your attitude about running into other hunters. Most people get pissed and territorial where the right and smart thing to do is to move on. Like you said most people are going to mess up the area anyway.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri May 26, 2017 4:27 am

Waymore wrote:Another great podcast! The things that stood out for me was I think having that friendly competition is great as long you are doing it in a way that you are both benefiting from it. Sounds like you had the perfect scenario with another great hunter to push you even harder. That was the thing I always did when it came to sports but never had in hunting. The fact you said the majority of you best bucks "were a stones throw away from roads" was eye opening. Also your attitude about running into other hunters. Most people get pissed and territorial where the right and smart thing to do is to move on. Like you said most people are going to mess up the area anyway.

The reason "friendly" competition worked for us is because we were both genuinely rooting for the other guy... You gotta be happy for your friend whether you are successful or not. If your mad when someone outdo's you, especially a friend, you really need to sit back and think about why your pissed... Not pointing that at anyone, just observed a long time ago that lots of guys are so worried about there own success that they turn on there friends when they get out done. Because jealousy did not influence us, we both came out better hunters by using the learnings of two people rather than one.

Big bucks have a knack for smelling out the places people don't go, and that over looked spot is usually along the road... ;)

Sometimes you gotta have the attitude that if someone is already hunting a spot, it probably is not all that over looked... I hear people say the swamp I hunt has no place where no one hunts, but I find plenty of spots with no sign of humans / hunters and lots of buck sign. A guy just has to get the pre-formed ideas of where a buck is supposed to live out of his head and find the real places a buck lives. Most guys hunt in the woods, I am usually not in a woodlot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”