Out of the box thinking

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tbunao
500 Club

Out of the box thinking

Unread postby tbunao » Wed May 24, 2017 6:53 am

I know not a lot of people read journals so I figured I would post this here as well. Anyone else ever try this? Kind of thought it was a cool idea and I'm always trying to spice things up a bit. Not every situation is ideal but I try and figure out what will work best for it.

5/23/2017

Did some prep work of a different kind today, some out of the box thinking. I have 3 years in this particular area and with each year I've come closer and closer. Last year I found out that this point is a bachelor hangout with 3 good shooters creeping around. On my way to hunt what I think is by far the best bed I bumped this tall 8. The hill is a south to north point. The west facing slope and predominant windward side is a very steep slope. I believe its around 500ft of elevation in a little over 1/4 mile. Access to this side is separated by a creek and a swamp. The eastern side has a piece of leased property as well as public access. He was bedded on the west facing side, a little higher than the 1/3 line on a crosswind, thermals coming up the hill and wind coming across his back. I could not figure out why he was there until a scout March where I glassed 2 ladder stands on the private. Also coming from the east side on public is a tad bit easier but I don't believe it's done often.

The main bed on the point has the private hunters pegged. You can see their gate from this bed as well as the road and any hunter coming from the east side of the public will be directly upwind of this bed. Long gone before anyone has a chance. The only way to access this bed to hunt it is from the west side and that means I must go through the satellite bedding.

With the age structure being what it is in NY, I believe that the 3 shooters were all of the same age. Just one was more dominate over the others but to me they are all shooters. With records kept of that particular day I plan on hunting both beds as soon as I get similar conditions. On my way to the main bed I will try and stalk the first bed.

I cleared off a spot at a safe distance to drop my stand and sticks before I begin this stalk. Placing a solar blanket in the bed (had hair in it as well as back in march) I glanced around found what would be a safe distance to creep to. Not easy. Other than the tree the bed is in most the trees are skinny. From this tree I slowly began to rake a path backwards keeping the bed and myself between trees. I did this until I felt safe and could no longer glass the bed from multiple directions. I also took note on where I can first glass the bed. From here I'll check to see if he's home. If he's home then I have a good path cleared out to a 34 yard shot. If he's not then I continue to the main location.

The bed feels pretty well used but we will see. More than likely a buck will bed on my path :lol:

The beginning of the stalk. I don't normally use trail tape but I feel safe enough to use it here as well as I feel it's kind of necessary to ensure a clean stalk.

2nd leg of the stalk

3rd leg

Final spot, 34yrds to the blanket

The tall 8

BradC36

Re: Out of the box thinking

Unread postby BradC36 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:24 am

Pretty awesome work, hope to see it pay off for you, that is definitely a shooter here in NY I agree!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed May 24, 2017 7:39 am

That is what makes the difference. Looking forward to the story.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:25 am

good idea, do it before the leaves fall.
option B would be to wait for wet ground conditions.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed May 24, 2017 9:35 am

magicman54494 wrote:good idea, do it before the leaves fall.
option B would be to wait for wet ground conditions.

Last year that was the first sw wind we had. Full foliage, 64 degrees and 9-13mph winds. I actually came in directly down wind from this bed but the thermals were cranking! I suspect that the thermals pushed my scent up before I got to him, he never winded me even at 18 yards. I would LOVE a rain but I'm confident in myself to make an approach on a mildly windy day as well. This will be my first hunt on a SW wind unless something else says otherwise
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Wed May 24, 2017 11:00 am

Go for it!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:32 am

Very cool idea. Never hurts to think outside the box.
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:02 pm

Sounds like a solid plan, are you worried at all that another hunter would find your flagging or raked path and figure out your plan?
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed May 24, 2017 12:15 pm

bigbucks1234 wrote:Sounds like a solid plan, are you worried at all that another hunter would find your flagging or raked path and figure out your plan?

No, the only tape is the one in the pic and the raked path will have leaves blown back over it within a month. I mostly did it to help with crunch sounds and clear out twigs. I should still be able to see it but that's only because I know it's there and will be looking. As far as hunters, not at all. I'll hunt this once and be done with it during the first week. Also the area it's in I have yet to see hunter sign not to mention there are a few days left of turkey (no birds in this area) and it's going to get hot out very soon. If someone does and beats me to it then good for them, I may have a new friend.
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:28 pm

Good luck! Hopefully you get the right conditions to make it happen. Sounds like an exciting stalk. Can't wait to see how this plays out for ya this fall.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed May 24, 2017 3:57 pm

I love it man 8-) not easy but very do-able

The day you execute, go in with the mindset of a killer. Psych yourself up and get in full on Beast mode. You're half crazy anyway so that mindset shouldn't be that difficult to attain ;)
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:01 pm

I like it good luck! Hope to read a full story that it worked!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Thu May 25, 2017 5:02 am

tbunao, I am curious is the area right around the "main bed" more dense with vegetation than the rest of the slope, relatively speaking? Or is it open like in the pictures? How about around the other beds? Are there any other unique features about the bedding area other than the elevation/sight lines/air flow you already mentioned? Thanks for your help. Asking because I hunt similar terrain sometimes and am trying to dial in on what else to look for.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Thu May 25, 2017 7:31 am

Good luck hope your work pays off
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu May 25, 2017 7:43 am

Lockdown wrote:I love it man 8-) not easy but very do-able

The day you execute, go in with the mindset of a killer. Psych yourself up and get in full on Beast mode. You're half crazy anyway so that mindset shouldn't be that difficult to attain ;)

x2. Good luck. I've raked paths in the past to morning stands to get in quietly next to food sources. It's infinitely more quiet than fall leaves.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”