24/7/365

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

24/7/365

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:45 am

What are you doing now, to up your odds this fall?

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: 24/7/365

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:08 am

In the woods now.....always looking for new spots.

Area we checked Saturday for bear, turned out to be a better deer location. Natural travel corridor was littered with last year's rubs, old scrapes and lots of poppies.

Where I thought bear would hole up, we blew deer out. Hoping and guessing they bed this area in the fall.

Bear may still frequent the area but obvious with the sign a lot deer travel through this spot in the fall. Could be a good cruising area for bucks.
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:16 am

I've been keeping a steady pace with scouting, reading past post here on the beast that I haven't read. Looking at maps online as well as last years trail cam photos and matching them up with what the weather was like on those days and what not. 24/7/365 sums it up well.

The tracking thread really struck a lot of interest in me. So I ordered a book and read that already. If I can get some good weather conditions during the gun season this year I'm gonna do my best to find a good buck to follow.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:19 am

Right now at this moment I'm working so I can have time off in fall. Can't kill them from work. :lol:

To answer your question Dan I copied my reply from a similar thread Lockdown started.........

Saw two shed bucks (one mature) on the last day of the season. Some may look at that as a negative but I look at it as an opportunity for next season. I fully scouted that area and have a real good idea where the mature buck is calling home.

I did a ton of scouting since the hunting season closed and not many places in my home area I haven't walked. Looks like I did just over 150 walking miles since January. I always do a lot of scouting but this year was much more intense. Last year my focus was in Iowa so my scouting around home suffered a bit. After I filled that tag and focussed again on WI I had to rely more on past intel and some hot sign. Felt like I was always a day past the prime action on many sits. This year I feel much better prepared. I have leads on a good number of mature bucks that made it through the season so I'm really looking forward to the 2017 season. Glassing, shining and trail cams will help me narrow things down in the next 4-5 months. It's a never ending cycle and I love every bit of it.

Always looking to learn new tactics and expand on what I know so I'm always growing as a hunter. Nothing is worst than being stagnant and doing the same things year after year yet expect different results.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:25 am

I think I just finished my last day of bed scouting today. Green up and bugs are coming at an accelerated rate now. Lol. I got tons of great bed scouting in this winter and spring. The best I've done since joined 2.5 years ago. Found 4 sheds off bucks this winter and spring all on public. 2 off Michigan public 2 from another state. Every one will be 3.5 or older this yesr.Moving forward now it's just gonna be trying to locate them. Probably will start glassing and putting trail cams out early July or late June. Also I will continue shooting my bow 3-4 days a week with short practice sessions.
Last edited by Hawthorne on Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:30 am

Been slacking the last month. It's time to get back on it. Even though i worked harder and made more progress since season ended than ever before, all that does is reinforce the fact there's so much more that can be done.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Hatchet Jack

Unread postby Hatchet Jack » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:33 am

Im just finishing up my cherokee to be able to get me out in the mountains when it snows to hopefully do some stalking/tracking. Put a locker in front and a truetrac in the rear, regeared to 4.56, added 33" tires, 2" lift, beefier wj steering and front brakes, disc brake conversion in rear. not where i want it but itll do for now.

cyber scouted a new area about an hour a way that has antler point restrictions and after Nov5 is quota hunt only. Its split in half by a river with a few oxbows that look to be a good distance away from parking. looking forward to getting boots on ground ASAP.
9pt
500 Club

Unread postby 9pt » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:38 am

Done as much scouting as I can with a young family. I feel I balanced it well this winter and spring. I have some exciting new spots for the fall and I didn't burn my family out so they will allow me to actually hunt when fall comes.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:41 am

Planning. Going back over notes I took from my on foot scouting. Starting to see deer regularly coming out on crop field edges now and browsing along the edge. In another week farmers will be planting and as soon as the first soybeans start popping up I'm going to start hitting those looking for big tracks. I want to locate as many good bucks as possible.

I had probably my most productive post season scouting this year before the green up that I've ever had. I covered a lot of ground and I managed to pick some good areas to focus on. I really want to keep it going and get eyes on some of these bucks.

There are 4-5 public properties I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on. I've nailed down a lot of the bedding and I know there are good ones in the area. Then there are a few more I'm still learning but have a solid plan to hunt and keep scouting. They all have potential. It would really be ideal if I could get eyes on a good buck at each one so I have lots of options.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:08 pm

dan wrote:What are you doing now, to up your odds this fall?

I often run that analysis to paralysis course as I can't stop thinking and tinkering .... Have shifted toward multiple plans I'd bet big on rather than just one or two great ones.

At this time- scouting glass if vantages and archiving all the great entry and exit locations on public and private I can cache.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:18 pm

I'm turkey hunting AKA an excuse to continue scouting for deer :D

gjs4 wrote:
dan wrote:What are you doing now, to up your odds this fall?

I often run that analysis to paralysis course as I can't stop thinking and tinkering .... Have shifted toward multiple plans I'd bet big on rather than just one or two great ones.

At this time- scouting glass if vantages and archiving all the great entry and exit locations on public and private I can cache.

I think that will really pay off for you, has for me. Its easy for a couple plans to crash and burn but if you have 6 or 10 or 20 - something is going to hit pay dirt!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:30 pm

Started playing racquetball again after 18 years.

Trying to get in better shape and with endurance.
Played for 2-Months and jumped into the New England regionals, hoping to qualify for the nationals.

Going to orthopedics as I believe I tore the crap out of both knees and also my back... Welcome to my 5 decade on Earth!

Gonna make hunting hard for me this year...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:47 pm

Did a lot of shed hunting/scouting the last few months. Found many new beds and started scouting hill country more than ever.
Lately I've been focused on foraging and turkey scouting. I've been impationtly waiting for this Saturday to come! I've got 2 tags to fill once that's finished I'll get back to scouting glassing and preparing for observation sits.
Joe™
Clink

Unread postby Clink » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:02 pm

Found the Beast and got a semi-late start to scouting effectively (March) . Have covered a ton of ground, both pieces I hunted last year and completely new public pieces. Cyber scouting when I find time and just being in the woods/marsh as much as possible are really going to up my odds. Becoming a better woodsman is definetly a goal I think will benefit my hunting success. Being in college 9 hours from home, my summer will essentially include 0 scouting. Glassing and spotlighting arent really applicable in my area so I won't be missing out on that. However, 3 or so months is a lot of time to lose. My scouting and prep for the Mid October Massachusetts bow season will effectively end in mid-June until I return first week of September.

Looking forward to getting up to Maine and the hunting camp to scout after the snow has melted. Should be able to really narrow down some good bow stands for early season archery. Im convinced bowseason is Maine can be very rewarding and this will be my first year throwing some sits in during Maine archery.

Going to try to throw some hunts at the gobblers and also hook up on some monster Striped Bass off Cape Cod aswell :mrgreen: :dance:
Last edited by Clink on Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:04 pm

Mostly I'm reflecting on the last few years of information. Everything I saw them do, every picture, everything I thought they were doing, all of it makes me better understand where I should be this year. It's a process, and it took a long time to figure out, but lately I've found myself in the "right" place more often than not.

And I'm trying something new this year I'm taking everything I've learned on this site and applying it to new ground. Stepping outside the comfort zone and off the land I know well. Like everyone free time is in short supply so I'm taking a risk but I am excited for the challenge.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”