Your most tempting moment ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Zap

Re: Your most tempting moment ?

Unread postby Zap » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:23 am

I would think that being tempted by a situation and actually doing something illegal are two seperate issues.
Maybe I am mistaken.

marty

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:30 am

I abide by the rules of fair chase.

Last year in Ohio I was retriving my buck. We drove a rhino in the woods to get the deer, then had to walk quite a ways to get to the deer. In my haste I left my tag at the rhino. Instead of risking it, I walked all the way back to the rhino and fetched my tag before I moved the buck. It's not worth the chance.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:35 am

Whats a tag?

:lol:

JK.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:49 am

I have never poached a deer.............have I been tempted to shoot after hours for sure, but never have done it. I also can't understand why someone would want to kill a buck from a roadside or in a situation where they weren't actively "hunting" for it. Through the years I have often heard people say they would like to see a certain deer along the road during season, they would just step out off the road and kill the buck, Not illegal as they would be off the road and on private land where they had permission, but to me where would the honor be in that? Everytime I look at one of my hard earned mounts I remember the hunt and all that went into it, if I shot a deer by simply stepping out of the truck I would have no memories to cherish along with the mount, it would just be a dead deer to me.........
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:14 am

never been tempted to poach! I got the poacher hotline on my cell phone along with my GPS I will turn their asses in! ;) Big difference between hunting and killing!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:38 pm

I was on stand one early november morning when a group of does came past and I could see three bucks on their trail. The bucks disappeared. I grunted and the middle sized buck, a 2 1/2 year 8 point, came right underneath me at ten yards. Without hesitation I released my arrow for a good hit on my first archery buck! The deer ran 60 yards and I watched him drop! I'm calling my dad on the radio when I hear footsteps. I look down, and hear comes the bigger buck, what seemed huge for me at the time! Stopped and stood right where I shot the first one. I just kinda laughed to myself at the opportunity because I knew I wouldn't do it. Next thing that happens, the big buck goes up to the dead one and starts trying to fight him! I will probably never see that again!

To the poaching subject I gotta add, I think theres a gray area on the subject of what is and what is not poaching. If you can see a big buck at 15 yards in archery season early in the morning right when your just starting to be able to see are you gonna check your watch to make sure its legal shooting hours? Maybe a dumb example and a no brainer but I'm just saying there is a gray area.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:24 pm

There is a flip side to all this .My first big buck was one of them. We shared a property back when you picked a weekend 2 hunt. Our group hunted the property 2 nd weekend. The other group 1 st weekend. Then unknown to us the MN DNR started the multizonebuck tag where you could hunt all weekends.I walked out to my stand and a member from the other party was hunting there.So I went to plan B the fenceline stand .At 8:oo a.m this buck went running by me ,only problem was he was on the private side of the fenceline. I was so excited to hunt that stand the next morning, except my dad told the other group about my big buck story .And when i arrived at that stand he switched stands and went there of course.At around 8:oo I heard a shot,I was heartbroken. Turns out it was a smaller 8 pointer. There was still hope. That was sunday ,so everyone went back to work.Not me, I wanted to get that buck.My dad reminded me that if I got a deer that i should skin it out b4 he got home from work. I knew he was living in a little thicket just beyond that fenceline in some private.I went out to that fenceline ,and just stood there gazing into that private thicket,tempted to jump that fence,but I did,nt . At the other end of the thicket was a grassy ditch that I had permission to hunt. So i went for it ! It was only 300 yards long 2o yards across .I thought mabey that big buck might be laying in that ditch with a doe. I got the wind in my favor and stealthed along that ditch.I had a doe permit so any deer would do, A doe jumped up 20 feet in front of me I shot 4 times at her ,MISSED cleanly and out of the corner of my eye ,I saw antlers rising from the grass 15 feet into the ditch .He raised his head just enuf to peak out of the grass. But he could,nt hide his rack .I took aim at his neck,shot,and he dropped his head.Now I was empty. I managed to get 1 in the chamber,and his rack rose again.I took another shot at his swollen neck ,he dropped again. And again I was empty. I quickly put 2 shells in,as I walked towards him. Well all i can say is if I had,nt passed up that big buck 2 days b4,I never woulda had a real story to tell about him today.The best part was driving him around all afternoon in my old 56 GMC.It was,nt easy loading him into the back alone, his rack kept gettin stuck in the tailgate chains.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:58 am

Swampthing - AWESOME story! Love the truck and of a buck, too!
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:15 am

What we are discussing here is ethics. Hunting ethics is a difficult subject that takes on a different meaning and feeling to each one of us. It's shaped by our core beliefs and values. For example, some consider hunting to be a "sport". Others feel that hunting should not be considered a sport and engage in it principally for the meat. How would the Native American Indians feel about some of the opinions mentioned in this thread? Is it okay to bend the law when we feel strongly that what we are doing benefits our hunting zone? And for those of you who feel so strongly about THIS aspect of the law, how do you feel about breaking other laws such as traffic speeding laws? Perhaps this subject is better suited for the "The War Cry" thread of the forum.

My personal opinion is, follow the law to the best of your ability. If there is a conflict between man's law and Divine law, Divine law takes precedence. In gray areas, let your conscience, your core values and beliefs be your guide.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:11 am

Man's Law and Divine Law is perhaps its own topic - however, let's touch on it a little.

Understandably, "Man's Law" was created by government of the states, so surely, it's a way to manage the resources in ways suited to the majority. The "Divine Law" or Naturalism with regards to hunting, conflict with one another, but realize it was a practice before population densities grew to what they are today. Both the hunting community and general capita has grown immensly since the days of old when man relied upon Divine Law.

Consider that general capita consumes more and more land everywhere across the states. As natural land dissapears, wildlife is condensed and their numbers thinned.

Back in the days when man relied on one deer to feed his family for a week, overharvesting may not have been such an issue - take their weaponry into account as well. . . Did the Native Americans, or anyone for that matter, have big scopes on rifles or iron sites?

All things considered (fluxing economic times/hardships, condensed whitetail populations in farmlands and cities, ability to travel by car and spot wildlife from paved roads, high powered rifles and scopes, etc.), managing our resources is now not up to hunters will to regulate, rather laws to incorporate balance.

I do not agree with many laws, especially some hunting regulations, like shooting hours ending before dark and after light, but what are you going to do? I think night hunting should be monitored for the sake of unfairness to the deer since we would use spotlights, certainly not from the days of old, but if you can see, I wish we could shoot sometimes. Surely some regulations are meant for human safety, and yeah, it sucks - bad. Morally, knowing that the majority does abide be such laws, where does the satisfaction come from attaining victory over your quarry if the guy on the other end of the woods let that deer pass because it was after hours - even if it was the biggest he'd ever seen?

Given, some people are angry at the thought of violators committing their crime out of spite because while they passed on great opportunities, unfairness can flare tempers when they realize they were cheated by the D-Bag who broke the law they abided.

And speaking of divinity, modern tactics didn't apply back in the olden days: spearing equipment, spotlights, advanced weapons, electronic calls, etc.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:24 am

Sam Ubl wrote:Man's Law and Divine Law is perhaps its own topic

Guess I should have mentioned that we all have our own take on what "Divine Law" is too - :lol:.
The only reason I mentioned the Native Americans in my above post was that respect for the animals we hunt was mentioned and I believe that, as a group, no one respected the animals they hunted more than the NAI.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:33 am

Public Land Beast wrote:never been tempted to poach! I got the poacher hotline on my cell phone along with my GPS I will turn their asses in! ;) Big difference between hunting and killing!

True that!!!!
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:47 pm

Dan had asked earlier in this post about turning in a poacher.Mabey a neighbor of friend.My Dad told me a story this year like that. 20 years earlier my Mom kept listening about her best friends husband poaching deer all the time. So she finally had enuf and turned him in. He was furious , searched high and low for who turned him in.He never did find out. 4 years ago my mom past away ,and 1 night my dad asked his neighbor if he remembered when he got turned in 20 years earlier. So my dad my finally confessed to him that my mom had made the call. He told him that all these years he wanted to tell him and now was finally the right time.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:51 pm

When i went back home for gun season this year ,the big gossip floating around was one of our neighbors ,who turned in his uncle for shooting a nice buck with his rifle during muzzleloader season.At the local water hole ,none could understand how he could do that to his own uncle. I personally thought it was funny as .
10point

Unread postby 10point » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:29 pm

[quote="Singing Bridge"]Sure enough, in my truck on the way out there he was just off the side of the road. I put my window down and talked to him for a bit before he trotted off (never done that before!!). I consider each of those encounters a memory of great value, where I had the chance to be a sportsman and do the right thing.[/quote

I can only imagine what you said to him.... :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”