The Drought?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vtbuck
500 Club

The Drought?

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:24 am

For most of us the deer season is over. Some were successful. Others not so much. Success is gauged differently by many people. It's been 2 seasons since I shot a doe and I haven't put a buck down since 2009. Most of this is me being picky or letting my brain get in the way of making it happen. There were 2 big misses in this stretch and a couple deer where age came into question. And so the drought continues in the deer woods.
What's the longest you've went and was it for the same reasons? I'm curious if other hunters have "Droughts".

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
matt1336
500 Club

Re: The Drought?

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:36 am

Prolly 3-4 years. I told myself that this year i wouldn't be picky at all. Turns out i shot my best buck ever. It's weird how things happen like that. There's a great sense of satisfaction just putting deer down- knowing that your work is paying off and meat in the freezer.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:40 am

The 90's were a good period for me and killed bucks almost every year but then decided to hold out for bigger racks. I didn't kill a buck with the bow from 2003-2007 and then again 2010-2012. Had plenty of opportunities for a kill but just set my standards way too high and then had to back off some both times. I did kill smaller bucks with the gun during those off years but was very picky with the bow.
OTCHunter

Unread postby OTCHunter » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:30 am

3 years or so has been my longest drought for bucks. That was mainly due to time in the woods due to college, work, or having raised the bar for the deer I'll shoot. Shot a decent 3 year old last season, this year passed up a few 3 1/2's that were chip shots and had my target buck at 22 yards but got busted. Ended up eating my tags but was probably my best year yet for encounters and chances.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:51 am

I think most hunters have droughts. I typically may go a few years between bucks bow hunting. Last season was probably one of my best for seeing mature bucks, yet I didn't fill my tag. Still a success in my eyes. This year was probably one of my worst for seeing bucks. It just drives me to work even harder to be even more prepared for next season.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:03 am

tgreeno wrote:I think most hunters have droughts. I typically may go a few years between bucks bow hunting. Last season was probably one of my best for seeing mature bucks, yet I didn't fill my tag. Still a success in my eyes. This year was probably one of my worst for seeing bucks. It just drives me to work even harder to be even more prepared for next season.

Same way I look at it. Some of my most successful and memorable seasons I never released an arrow yet I still look at them as great seasons. A kill is nice but I don't get down anymore if I eat my tag as long as I had opportunities. As I get older the journey is way more important to me than the kill.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:24 am

Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:I think most hunters have droughts. I typically may go a few years between bucks bow hunting. Last season was probably one of my best for seeing mature bucks, yet I didn't fill my tag. Still a success in my eyes. This year was probably one of my worst for seeing bucks. It just drives me to work even harder to be even more prepared for next season.

Same way I look at it. Some of my most successful and memorable seasons I never released an arrow yet I still look at them as great seasons. A kill is nice but I don't get down anymore if I eat my tag as long as I had opportunities. As I get older the journey is way more important to me than the kill.

Im not down about it. I think I might have got a little naive in my early years in thinking there would be a mature buck every sit. If I was gauging myself on kills of mature bucks I'd be one of the worst hunters ever but I. I view the kill as the icing on the cake at this point . Just being in the presence of a good buck at this point brings a level of accomplishment to me. Maybe the kill is the only thing that matters to some hunters but I don't get worked up about that anymore. Besides, I like doing things the hard way.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:28 am

I used to be a killing machine... Pre-2001 I rarely went a year without killing a buck, but most were 1.5s and 2.5s as I was just starting out. From 2001-2007 I put 4 bucks on the wall with my bow and shot a couple really nice bucks with my gun too. But all were 130-140". 2008 came and I wanted something bigger, and I went until 2012 before I killed a 170". I haven't killed a buck since. :) So yeah... I'm in the midst of a pretty big drought caused by my high standards (and lack of time - thanks young children!).

All that said, I still kill a fair number of does for meat and my freezer is rarely empty. :dance:
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:32 am

vtbuck wrote:Besides, I like doing things the hard way.

This is actually an interesting point. I have some friends who hunt prime private land. They have a dozen hang ons that they preset and sit over and over, their actual deer knowledge is limited at best. They kill a good buck every year because one wanders by after a doe during the rut, and if you were to look at their walls you'd be impressed. But throw them on public land or highly pressured private land and I'm willing to bet they'd go a looooooong time in between mature buck kills. Ask them what a saddle is, or thermals, and you'd get some pretty long, blank stares. This is why I've come to the conclusion that you can not judge a hunter on his wall. Many times, it reflects very little on how good of a hunter that person actually is.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:27 am

More ways than one :lol: :lol: :lol: , But seriously...I have nothing specific to add to the post but encouragement for you and others. You sound like you are on track between stages as a growing hunter. You are not the guy who wants to shoot a young buck. My goal this year was to get a bow, be able to move in an instant(mobility), and have deer walk under or by my stand. Never let an arrow fly but my season was a blast. Met all my goals. All you can do is keep moving forward!!
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:45 am

Since I was a young kid and killed my 1st buck... A button buck. I have killed deer every year. As far as bucks go, I shot one every year except one year about 6 or 8 years ago... There was one year I shot a target 11 pointer the last day, last minute of the season. That was 1990. I still remember that hunt pretty well.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:51 am

One of the best parts of this site is the support everyone gives each other. There's no bickering. Just a really good group of hunting nuts who are passionate about this thing we love.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:12 am

I've had two droughts in the 6-8 year bracket. One was up north in VT, NH, ME and the other in FL. It was about learning how to hunt and learning new areas for me.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:40 am

Obviously...Dan is an anomaly!!! And I know there are others on here.

But for the rest of us:
Sometimes you just have one of those years, where you're always in the wrong spot. Or you pick the wrong stand. Or your a day too late.
If it was easy...everyone would do it!!!
That is what makes it so fulfilling for me, when all things come together, and I put the bigboy down for the count!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:33 pm

Yep what I tag usually has ups and downs every 4-6 years seems like. I still kill deer every year that I can think of but sometimes they are smaller bucks...of course, I live in Iowa :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”