What I learned filming my hunts this season/Challenges that come with it.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetaildna
Facebook: www.facebook.com/whitetaildna

What I learned filming my hunts this season/Challenges that come with it.

Unread postby whitetaildna » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:38 am

http://www.whitetaildna.com/tactics/2016/12/29/everything-i-learned-during-my-first-season-filming-my-hunts

Today I posted an article on my blog going over everything I learned during my first season filming my hunts. My question for you guys is how many of you film your hunts and what would you add to this article? What do you find to be the greatest challenge filming and why do you do it? For those of you that do film, what takes priority during a shot opportunity, getting the shot on video, or getting the deer regardless if you get it on video or not?

For those of you that don't film your hunts, have you thought about trying it, and if so what hesitations might you have about it?

I think this is a very compelling topic, and would like to get a good discussion going about it!

Alex Comstock

Founder of WhitetailDNA

http://www.whitetaildna.com
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Re: What I learned filming my hunts this season/Challenges that come with it.

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:34 am

Good article.

I do not film my hunts (other than cell phone videos of bucks I'm passing lol). When it first got popular, my cousin videoed an awesome turkey kill of mine, but other than that have never tried it.

My reasons are 1) weight and 2) expense. I hunt mountainous terrain and, after all, "ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain." I just have too many hobbies to spend money on expensive camera gear.
Not all those who wander are lost...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:39 am

I film my hunts for video's and a bunch have been used on TV shows. I am a different breed though... Most pay to much attention to what others are doing, and copy. Sure they try to find a little tweak here and there, but for the most part, all the shows and video's out there are the same. I like the old stuff, the stuff where the hunting is real, not unrealALISTIC. Some stuff that comes to mind is Monarch valley, old Barry wensel stuff, leathal flight, etc... Original stuff that really was not a copy of someone else or what the TV producers tell us to act like...

I film for documentation to use later for educational use. I self film cause you can't get a camera man in most of the set ups I have and cause I really don't want to split my hunting with filming for someone else. I don't worry about clear video, shakey, etc... Sure, I try to make it as best as possible, but the kill is more important to me than good footage. I don't want to taint my hunt by turning it into a big production.

And guess what? I don't think the big video makers have any one video that outsold my marsh bucks, or Hill country DVD's... And there still selling... I think there is around 50,000 marsh bucks DVD'S out there, and how many kills are on it? 3 poorly filmed ones?

No, I don't want anybody to copy me, my point is, be original. Don't worry about what everybody tells you to do, follow your heart and do it for you...
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:53 am

dan wrote:I film my hunts for video's and a bunch have been used on TV shows. I am a different breed though... Most pay to much attention to what others are doing, and copy. Sure they try to find a little tweak here and there, but for the most part, all the shows and video's out there are the same. I like the old stuff, the stuff where the hunting is real, not unrealALISTIC. Some stuff that comes to mind is Monarch valley, old Barry wensel stuff, leathal flight, etc... Original stuff that really was not a copy of someone else or what the TV producers tell us to act like...

I film for documentation to use later for educational use. I self film cause you can't get a camera man in most of the set ups I have and cause I really don't want to split my hunting with filming for someone else. I don't worry about clear video, shakey, etc... Sure, I try to make it as best as possible, but the kill is more important to me than good footage. I don't want to taint my hunt by turning it into a big production.

And guess what? I don't think the big video makers have any one video that outsold my marsh bucks, or Hill country DVD's... And there still selling... I think there is around 50,000 marsh bucks DVD'S out there, and how many kills are on it? 3 poorly filmed ones?

No, I don't want anybody to copy me, my point is, be original. Don't worry about what everybody tells you to do, follow your heart and do it for you...

Words of a wise man... I self film and love all that goes into it. Right now it is for self purpose and keeping it real is the only way I see it. No reinactment 100% blood and sweat into public land. I have very few people that come into mind when it comes to real hunting videos. I no longer watch the outdoor channel because of it.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:23 am

I have never filmed any of my hunts and don't anticipate it ever happening. It's way more work than I would want to deal with. I have a tough enough time getting myself out there and up in a tree without spooking everything in the woods.

After watching all Dan's video's I realized...I enjoy the "how I got there" part of hunting much more than the "kill shot"! I love the info on how too, i can find big buck beds. I guess I'm into it more for the how & why than the result. I will probably never have the ability to hunt over a food plot on a managed piece of property. So alot of the mainstream video out there doesn't interest to me. I'm spoiled on watch all the DYI guys out there humping it themselves, doing it the "hard way"!

To all you guys who do film your hunt...I give you mad props for the effort it takes to get it done!!! And I will enjoy watching all your video's whether it's a big buck or a doe!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
whitetaildna
Facebook: www.facebook.com/whitetaildna

Unread postby whitetaildna » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:25 am

dan wrote:I film my hunts for video's and a bunch have been used on TV shows. I am a different breed though... Most pay to much attention to what others are doing, and copy. Sure they try to find a little tweak here and there, but for the most part, all the shows and video's out there are the same. I like the old stuff, the stuff where the hunting is real, not unrealALISTIC. Some stuff that comes to mind is Monarch valley, old Barry wensel stuff, leathal flight, etc... Original stuff that really was not a copy of someone else or what the TV producers tell us to act like...

I love this Dan, to your point on having so many copies of marsh bucks being sold with 3 poorly filmed kills, I had friends think I was borderline idiotic for self filming without getting a shot on video because "nobody would watch it" according to them. There is so much more to it besides an arrow/bullet going into a deer. I totally agree with you on the fact that people need to do it for them, and not worry about others.
Alex Comstock

Founder of WhitetailDNA

http://www.whitetaildna.com
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:10 am

I don't film. I have a hard enough time killing deer. I don't need more variables into the equation. I'm not that good.
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:49 am

this year I plan on filming. I'm excited for the new adventure. I'm doing it for the memories.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:14 am

Gotta learn to be a beast first :lol: Seriously, I have thought about maybe some off season observation scouting that may be filmed, again, for fun and info.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
bkraus

Unread postby bkraus » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:30 am

I would like to get into it more. I got a tatacam for a chirstmas gift this year so I'm going to try that first. Other than that I've filmed some turkey hunts and that's about it. It would be nice to find out how some guys pack and set up there camera gear. That is one of the things that holds me back is just more stuff to bring with in the woods.
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:23 pm

matt1336 wrote:I don't film. I have a hard enough time killing deer. I don't need more variables into the equation. I'm not that good.

My thoughts exactlty. I do admire the guys are able to pull it off though.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:37 pm

Done my fair share of it. Back bunch years ago. Giving up half of my hunts to sit in a tree with someone else ...not shooting because camera was going to get the hit or the footage...kind of got old.

If you don't love doin it ...it ain't worth doin.

Glad guys are doing it coz I enjoy watching. :D
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:12 pm

Nice article. I like that you said to keep it fun. Thats what its all about for me.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:20 pm

Better be ready to pass up a couple deer due to poor camera angles and getting busted adjusting the camera... Also most camera arms use ratchet straps to keep that 38" arm securely strapped to the tree. I learned that carrying in 10lbs+ of camera gear was hurting me more than adding to my enjoyment of the actual hunting aspect. It quickly became more of a chore than fun to film hunts for me.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:39 pm

I use the muddy tree mount and arm. I bought a flip tight strap because I refuse to ratchet while out there. It works great. I really considered the beast style camera bracket but couldn't use my own fluid head. Curious what different tree brackets you guys use? Cause the muddy is very heavy..

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”