Is this a bad idea?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WISCOANDY

Re: Is this a bad idea?

Unread postby WISCOANDY » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:37 am

Almost the entire east half of the Cedar swamp in the 2nd forty has been untouched. You can see the bog on the back of the first 40 which we normally walk around. My thought is to find some sign and cross it and get 25 to 50 yards into the cedars and just post on the ground.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:44 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
dan wrote:I would be there... For sure.

X2

X3!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:18 am

Sounds like an area you should have been in all along...get in there. :D
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
WISCOANDY

Unread postby WISCOANDY » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:20 pm

I was able to get out today, did some scouting and then hunted in the evening. Bonus is that I had 4 hours alone in the truck, so i streamed some Beast Podcasts on my way there and back.

The icy layer on the snow made it really tough to get through quietly. I ended up finding 5 different areas with doe bedding. My scouting leads me to a couple more questions.

The area I scouted was primarily around the oak ridge on the back 40. This area had been pretty contaminated from over hunting. I was thinking this would be good potential buck bedding, but found the doe beds. Is this a sign to keep looking, or would does bed in a area a mature buck left due to scent?

The other realization I had is that I really will need more spots to sit. Listening to the pods, many hunting spots are one and done. Just thinking, is it best to hang on the edges to avoid dropping scent, or just expand the hunting territory?

Thanks to all for so much insight.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”