Is this a bad idea?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WISCOANDY

Is this a bad idea?

Unread postby WISCOANDY » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:54 am

I hunt on private land, and one piece we have is 120 acres of which 80 is a dense cedar swamp, and 25 is a farm field. There is a small oak ridge island on the 3Rd 40 back, about 5 acres.

Prior to reading much here, we'd hunt the same stands over and over, and frankly, we were just quite disruptive to what I now know would be good bedding area.

That leads to my question. With a few weeks of season left, I haven't scouted and do not know with certainty where there are beds. What I do know is where we have been and where we havent been. The good is there is a large "sanctuary" in the marsh and cedar swamp that has not been infected with human scent. This seems also to be a good spot based on the topo (edge that runs east/west) and not that far from the field. Despite no true scouting, I'm thinking of sneaking in with the bow when we get the next north wind, setting up on the ground and seeing what happens.

Am I naive going in blind like this? Am I better off keeping this sanctuary free of scent? Or should I just do it as I am going to eat my tag anyway and can jump start my scouting for next year?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

justin84
500 Club

Re: Is this a bad idea?

Unread postby justin84 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:58 am

I'd do it. At a minimum, sounds like you'll get some good intel for next year.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:00 am

You'll never know unless you try. If it turns out to be a bust you'll at least have an idea of how the deer are moving in that area. Its can't hurt to check it out.

Joe™
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:28 am

Are you hunting it by yourself or with other guys? Reason I ask is, going into bedding areas is kind of a touchy thing and if you and your partners aren't on the same page you may ruffle some feathers. Either that or everyone on the property will start diving in there which won't be productive either. I would discuss it with the other guys you hunt with and come up with a game plan for how you want to hunt it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
WISCOANDY

Unread postby WISCOANDY » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:35 am

At this point, it's just me - or possibly my dad but he and I would work in tandem on this (ie set up on East and West side of the swamp). My father is the landowner and two other cousins are around during the rifle season, but nowhere around anymore.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:55 am

I would be there... For sure.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:57 am

dan wrote:I would be there... For sure.

X2
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:20 am

Go in and learn as much as you can! Might just shoot a buck. Good information for next year!
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:13 am

Absolutely you have nothing to lose. And plus when dan says go in for sure....well that means you go in for sure!!!

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:27 am

I agree you need to go in there and kill the big one.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Buckrub

Unread postby Buckrub » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:14 pm

Ive owned 40 acres in a heavily hunted area for about 10 years. My property runs length ways North/South for 1/2 mile x 1/8 mile. I leave my north 1/2 total untouched 363 days per year, there is 2 days a year I walk the perimeter (off season) to see the natural year to year changes. This north 1/2 is wet spring and fall but dries during July-Sept. then back to wet. The north half is pretty thick with a few maples and poplars scattered throughout, its a really good bedding area.When I first bought the property I placed stands in locations that I could see the farthest distance just to get an understanding of the deer movement. For 2 years I hunted the very north east/west corner and south corners of the bedding area. I found out that anytime I hunted the far north end. I bumped deer on entry or exit every time, with still seeing fair movement in the area. So , I'm thinking, how do I hunt back here without spooking deer. No neighbors will let access through there woods, so I guess its just best if I don't hunt back there. BINGO! Ever since I made the decision to leave my north 1/2 alone and only hunting with a north wind. There have been several 21/2 bucks killed the first few years and the last couple years we've bumped up to the 31/2 and 41/2 yr olds. Biggest scores 158 4/8" . From my personal experience, if you have a Great sanctuary / bedding area, be extremely patient and eventually you will get an opportunity at a good buck(it prolly wont happen every year). And this year is one of those years, I've harvested nothing because I haven't had a chance at a 3 1/2 or older.

So your thinking this guy doesn't hunt much with that scenario. Fortunately , I have property in northern Michigan also which I hunt on the weekends. Because of all the good info in this forum I have been exploring some kick looking state land up north also. For me the challenge up north is how vast the amount of good cover they have and how I have to find the mature bucks core areas... I just logged 5 miles worth of steps this last weekend while black powder hunting!

Good luck on whatever approach you take!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:32 pm

I say go in there when the time is right. This is how I learned about the beast. Someone on another forum talked about having a sanctuary and not killing big bucks that were there. Another member chimed in and said these guys would hunt it and kill the big buck in the sancuary. Then he gave the link to The Hunting Beast

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:56 am

At this point in the season you don't have anything to loose! Go for it!

Intel for next season is as valuable as the buck you may get a chance to shoot.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:59 am

Not only will it give you good in tell. But also if you do stink up a good spot, by next fall the deer are going to forget all about it. Being intrusive a lot may make the deer abandon the area for a long period of time, but if its a good bedding habitat for them and they feel safe they'll probably always come back at some point. I would do it for sure. I am thinking about spots that I can go and just observe for a while.
WISCOANDY

Unread postby WISCOANDY » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:33 am

http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/Andre ... sort=3&o=0

Testing to show a screenshot of the area I am describing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”