Moving stand during a hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Moving stand during a hunt

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:13 am

If you are on say a morning to 1 pm hunt or 2 to dark hunt and you see the need to relocate a couple hours in... maybe a hundred yards or so....or even just 30...would you be better of changing during that hunt or just doing it next time you intend to hunt the area?
Reason for change being you think you can be in a better spot for deer/buck travel.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Moving stand during a hunt

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:15 am

Change location immediately.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:17 am

My friend thinks I'm crazy, but I will move at any moment if I see the need. You have to put yourself in the game.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:31 am

This year during a morning bow hunt I pulled my set & moved it 20 yards. If you notice a change to move for whatever reason if time permits move it.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:19 am

I move.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:26 am

On Tuesday I realized I needed to move- once in my new set I had a buck pass my stand 20 minutes after putting it up.

Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:35 am

This is the exact reason I don't like taking more than my bow, knife, flashlight and treestand. If i don't know exactly where I need to be, I'll sit back and observe for the first few hours. Saturday I moved our stands 2 times before eventually shooting my buck off the ground in a 3rd location. The move needs to be out of observed movement or expected movement and not just impatience.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:45 am

Redman232 wrote: The move needs to be out of observed movement or expected movement and not just impatience.

Bingo!

Consider your first stand an observation stand and the move as a hunting stand. If the bucks are traveling a route, you have to be on that route or you're just killing time.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:49 am

Yes, move immediately.

Based on observed movement like Redman said above or just a really strong gut feeling I'm in the wrong spot.

Careful with moves though if you know you struggle with indecision - gotta get that taken care of before you start hopping around and never sit for more than an hour in one spot.
Ol'DanBoone

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:40 am

You know, I was hunting this guy's small farm with him. He is a moderately knowledgeable hunter, he's been out west aloy with my dad, he is a real intense, competitive type of guy.
I text him a couple hours into the morning, saying that I was 50 yards further from the deer than I needed to be. His reply was "move your stand". That simple. I thought, "he's crazy, it's right in peak hours. Who the heck does thwt?"
Well, this guy also is the kind of guy who, if he can't get a stand in a tree, just sits on the ground. If he thinks he knows where deer are bedded, he may try and stalk. It's the rut you say???....why not try rattling???
The guy is willing to try and swing for the fence at every attempt. As off the wall as he may have sounded to me at the time, I've sure learned a lot more from him than I've realized. Also...the dude has got a pile of 100 to 120 inch skulls in his garage just laying on the floor. That's doing pretty dang good in the piedmont of nc, and he's got quite a few gaggers' on the wall in his house.
Alot of times, the person who tries at least has a chance, and if they fail, we then they go down swinging. But the person who doesn't try, well, he gets nothing because he never gave himself the chance.

thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:06 am

It has been my mindset to sit out the hunt and hope that my original plan was correct. Maybe thinking that I'd much rather my first instinct to be wrong than to move and regret not staying. That's not really a winning mindset.

Got this message from my 15 yo brother this past Saturday morning a half hour after sunrise after we went in on a piece of public somewhat blind.

"I'm moving NE. I think it's a better spot at least on map. I've regretted to many things in hunting so why regret moving this morning. Only get so many days to do it.

And if I happen to kill. I'm a genius"

Smart kid.

mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:11 am

Ill move if I get 30 minutes or so of the wrong wind. I check the weather before going in so always have an idea of what is supposed to happen & then just play it by what actually happens. Wind changed on me a few years ago in a stand so I got down & relocated to another & killed an 8 pt an hour later. Be flexible. Mike
Matty

Unread postby Matty » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:38 am

Rich M wrote:
Redman232 wrote: The move needs to be out of observed movement or expected movement and not just impatience.

Bingo!

Consider your first stand an observation stand and the move as a hunting stand. If the bucks are traveling a route, you have to be on that route or you're just killing time.

Exactly!!! That aspect of changing locations is critical in my eyes.

I am reluctant but willing to move.

It's never my intention to move after I'm setup. That's why I put so much planning into each hunt. Even when going in blind I stop and stare at an area for 20-30 minutes maybe more before deciding on a spot. I might change my mind a couple times, but rarely commit to climbing until I feel confident I'm making the right decision.

I never rule it out though, and will do it immediately if I decide I need to. I normally leave my stand in those cases though and hunt from the ground. (Depends on time though)

I also formulate a plan from the tree before making a move. I want the new ambush location already chosen, how to get to it without ruining my chances, shots, etc.
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:00 pm

Ol'DanBoone wrote:You know, I was hunting this guy's small farm with him. He is a moderately knowledgeable hunter, he's been out west aloy with my dad, he is a real intense, competitive type of guy.
I text him a couple hours into the morning, saying that I was 50 yards further from the deer than I needed to be. His reply was "move your stand". That simple. I thought, "he's crazy, it's right in peak hours. Who the heck does thwt?"
Well, this guy also is the kind of guy who, if he can't get a stand in a tree, just sits on the ground. If he thinks he knows where deer are bedded, he may try and stalk. It's the rut you say???....why not try rattling???
The guy is willing to try and swing for the fence at every attempt. As off the wall as he may have sounded to me at the time, I've sure learned a lot more from him than I've realized. Also...the dude has got a pile of 100 to 120 inch skulls in his garage just laying on the floor. That's doing pretty dang good in the piedmont of nc, and he's got quite a few gaggers' on the wall in his house.
Alot of times, the person who tries at least has a chance, and if they fail, we then they go down swinging. But the person who doesn't try, well, he gets nothing because he never gave himself the chance.

Absolutely agree but you have to be smart about it. Yes swing for the fence but only on a good count when your down.

I move. If I'm in a tree and I'm not 100% confident it's right, it drives me nuts. Follow your gut feeling. It may not always work out in your favor but I'd rather move and fail than fail because I didn't make the move I knew I should have.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:46 pm

Before becoming a member of this forum I would of never moved in the middle of a hunt. Looking back on this year...there were a couple times I should have and didn't.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”