Most common mistake

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tgreeno
500 Club

Most common mistake

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:58 pm

To all you experienced "Beasts"....What do you think is the most common or biggest mistake made by inexperienced beasts while bed "beast style" hunting. I've had no success this year beast hunting. Some times I feel like I may make too much noise? Too close and get seen?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
daveynewman
500 Club

Re: Most common mistake

Unread postby daveynewman » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:08 pm

my biggest mistake is not being patient enough to get to my spot. I love hunting and I always rush to get set up because I feel I'll miss the action if I'm not there and set up as quick as possible

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:11 pm

They give up cause of lack of success to early... It takes a couple years to get good at picking which beds to hunt and which not to. And, when you start seeing less deer instead of more you think your doing something wrong... In some areas you will see more deer hunting beds, in some less, but generally bigger.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:05 pm

Misinterpreting sign.

For example just because there's a rub in a bed that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good buck bed and one you want to hunt. Mistaking doe bedding for buck bedding, etc

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:09 pm

What Dan said I've found to be the case for me. Being quiet is a huge asset, as is getting close when you're hunting where they lay down. I saw one buck this year in six or eight sits but it turned out to be the right one, which was awesome because I had my whole vacation to scout and I saw a few more bucks 8-). Most common mistake? A lack of patience.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:12 pm

Lockdown wrote:Misinterpreting sign.

For example just because there's a rub in a bed that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good buck bed and one you want to hunt. Mistaking doe bedding for buck bedding, etc

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I Agree
Reading tracks is almost better than looking for a bunch of rubs or scrapes for me. There doesn't have to be a ton of sign there for a buck to be there.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:46 pm

I'd say over hunting a spot...

Easy to do...bed hunting or just deer hunting....you see deer...it's a good spot..keep hunting it till a big one shows up is usually the thought...

It's taken me a bit to step out of that comfort zone..this is the first season I can honestly say there's spots I haven't sat...or truly deserve a 2nd sit...I'm just running outta time..I see more deer than ever...and my mature buck sightings and mature bucks in shooting range is shooting through the roof from where it was..

I'm going to stick to my scouting and find more ground and I'd like to bed hunt more next season...

To me, scouting new ground is extremely fun and satisfying...I used to completely lack confidence to hunt new ground...this year I did and had a fantastic hunt...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:02 pm

Ignoring the basics for me. Being quiet, staying still, being patient, paying attention to what is going on around you while on stand or on your way to the stand.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:44 pm

I thought before the season started I was prepared. Now...Definitely not! I've had to do way more in-season scouting this year than ever before! Alot of my spots haven't worked out, either due to other hunters pressure or just not seeing deer.

My biggest mistake is not having enough spots. And the spots I have not producing.

I've probably sat 25-30 sits, with another 10 to go before gun season hits. And it's been my worse season ever! Have not seen a antler on-stand.

Jan thru Mar I will be scouting all new public for next year!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:21 am

I tend to limit myself too much - not enough spots, not enough time, not enough enthusiasm, not patient (definitely not patient)
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:07 am

What Dan said.

Give it a 5 year trial period. I'm not kidding. We are way too instant-gratification these days.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”