Is i worth the sit?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jbone23

Is i worth the sit?

Unread postby jbone23 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:27 am

Going off trail cam pic from last year (a year ago from this saturday coming up) got of giant coming through a ridge to food. Was thinking about setting up somewhere close to where I think he could have been bedded. Have heard a lot about mature bucks keeping a yearly pattern got me interested. I haven't stepped foot in area since last year and never hunted that year. Is one pic from a year ago enough to sway y alls decison to pick a stand?

wickedbruiser
500 Club

Re: Is i worth the sit?

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:34 am

Depends. Yes, some mature bucks tend to have yearly patterns but do you have information regarding whether he's still alive? Any disturbance? Food change? Only way to find out is throw a stand at it or leave a cam. I like to have 2 years of worthy data to give it a go on consistent yearly patterns.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:40 am

This time of year patterns are probably related to either food or pressure or both. If the food and pressure are the same as last year, could be the same pattern. That being said, if you don't have another buck locked down ready to hunt, absolutely no harm in trying.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:42 am

jbone23 wrote:Going off trail cam pic from last year (a year ago from this saturday coming up) got of giant coming through a ridge to food. Was thinking about setting up somewhere close to where I think he could have been bedded. Have heard a lot about mature bucks keeping a yearly pattern got me interested. I haven't stepped foot in area since last year and never hunted that year. Is one pic from a year ago enough to sway y alls decison to pick a stand?

Has the food source remained consistent? I personally have found that food source yearly patterns are probably not as reliable as much as the rut yearly pattern for a general area. Especially with something like acorns or crop fields that can be on a two year cycle. But, if you got DAYTIME pictures of this buck at this time of year last year I would make the following two assumptions:

1. I doubt food was only thing on his mind this time of year
2. If food was his only agenda - you are probably close to his core area if you have daytime pictures.

I find early to mid October bucks are usually in their primary core area gearing up for the rut. So I would say yes, I would go in from the direction he was TRAVELING to in mid morning and then if you find tracks, poop, rubs, etc.... I would definitely toss a stand at him but work closer to his bedding/core area.
jbone23

Unread postby jbone23 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:16 am

Our season opens the 15th and last year it opened the 25th of October so pressure wouldn't be a factor. Also the rut down here dosnt get going till January so still bed to feed pattern. Wind is forecasted to be SW, last year he moved on a S wind.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:42 am

I love low impact hunts. I would use a mobile set and hunt the leeward side that gives you a sight advantage. See whats going on and move in for the kill. I do this a lot, especially on small parcels. This may not help you out this year but next years hunt could benefit from it.

I think we get caught up on the beds we find sometimes. Huge difference hunting a bed that may have a buck, and hunting a bed you have seen bucks use in the past. :think:

It is much easier to kill a buck on a bed to food pattern than just a random hunt on a bed that you have no idea is being used. This all comes with experience and knowledge of the area you hunt. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:17 am

Its worth throwing a stand at if you ain't got anything else going better... As others said, food may have changed, pressure "may" have changed, but, it also mi9ght not have... I have seen bucks patterned to the date a year later on a few occasions...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”