Bucks you just cannot catch up with

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: Bucks you just cannot catch up with

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:51 pm

whitetailassasin wrote:You win some you lose more :lol: any guy whose targeted a specific buck has lost way more than he's won, but ask any one of them to take back that journey and I think you'll get the same answer.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Thats for sure. Sure is fun to chase them. Your brain constantly works on each one of them. Always rolling around ...where is he...where could he be...just never stops.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:00 pm

I'm pulling for you Dave!

I've said this so many times, but I love that personal relationship you share with a specific buck, all bucks are nice, but one that has history means memories, and there's a different feeling that takes place going after them and killing them. I found out several years back, that's what I really love, it never gets old, there's always another one to chase if and when that chapter ends. Every move matters, a real chess match, and you will find out what your made of in the process.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:39 pm

I've never really targeted a individual animal. All my private pieces are 60 acres and less. The most I've ever saw a mature buck on one property is two days in a row. One I shot and one my brother shot after I saw him the day before. I think their homes ranges are large in 80% farm country. They there then gone even in summer food is everywhere.I'm just starting to get into public hunting . I could see it being possible with hundreds to thousands of acres. I've had them on camera different times summer thru winter usually once a month and these properties have good bedding for the area. Small properties you just have to know where they'll be when their in the neighborhood. Why I've sat the same stand before 4 times in a row before and have shot good bucks

Last edited by Hawthorne on Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:01 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I've never really targeted a individual animal. All my private pieces are 60 acres and less. The most I've ever saw a mature buck on one property is two days in a row. One I shot. They there then gone even in summer. I'm just starting to get into public hunting . I could see it being possible with hundreds to thousands of acres. I've had them on camera different times summer thru winter usually once a month and these properties have good bedding for the area. Small properties you just have to know where they'll be when their in the neighborhood. Why I've sat the same stand before 4 times in a row before and have shot good bucks

I target individual animals each and every year but not "this buck and none other". Most of the time, I target them because its really the best way to do it. For me, its more out of necessity than trying to challenge myself. Not targeting specific bucks in the midwest rut works well...but not northeast early season. Many areas just may not hold a target buck in a certain year. I typically have a handful of bucks that I will try and chase in a season.

And this thread is kind of some of the thought process I have gone through in choosing which ones to hunt. Its a learning curve thats for sure. These bucks have showed me really that I do not know as much about hunting them as I think I do. Which in turn, drives me to push harder in off season to learn more.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:29 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:I've never really targeted a individual animal. All my private pieces are 60 acres and less. The most I've ever saw a mature buck on one property is two days in a row. One I shot. They there then gone even in summer. I'm just starting to get into public hunting . I could see it being possible with hundreds to thousands of acres. I've had them on camera different times summer thru winter usually once a month and these properties have good bedding for the area. Small properties you just have to know where they'll be when their in the neighborhood. Why I've sat the same stand before 4 times in a row before and have shot good bucks

I target individual animals each and every year but not "this buck and none other". Most of the time, I target them because its really the best way to do it. For me, its more out of necessity than trying to challenge myself. Not targeting specific bucks in the midwest rut works well...but not northeast early season. Many areas just may not hold a target buck in a certain year. I typically have a handful of bucks that I will try and chase in a season.

And this thread is kind of some of the thought process I have gone through in choosing which ones to hunt. Its a learning curve thats for sure. These bucks have showed me really that I do not know as much about hunting them as I think I do. Which in turn, drives me to push harder in off season to learn more.

You guys that target a few different bucks in the northeast big woods have my respect. That's a tough environment.I'm in southern Michigan so it's more like Midwest farm country hunting.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:05 pm

Hawthorne wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:

You guys that target a few different bucks in the northeast big woods have my respect. That's a tough environment.I'm in southern Michigan so it's more like Midwest farm country hunting.

The reason though it works here at all... I can go ANYWHERE thats not posted. So I can chase bedding back for 2 miles into the timber. I can walk for miles to get on these deer. It means if I have a 2000 acre chunk of ground that is has roads on all sides, I can access that piece from multiple points. AND I can keep getting permission to get the access I need. OR not get permission at all if I have a place to park my rig. That kind of access is foreign to the rest of the country. I also try to find bucks on as broke up ground as I can find so I am not looking to chase bucks on 50k acres of unbroken chunks of timber. Its too difficult to hunt with a bow.

And I can make the time. I am in the timber 12 mos out of the year. When 1 season ends, another begins. Especially with no snow this past winter.

I think one thing that drives me is to see some of the bucks that are getting killed during rifle season.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”