Shooting with a blurry peep

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Shooting with a blurry peep

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:39 am

Lockdown wrote:
whitetailassasin wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Lockdown wrote:I have never had an issue with pin brightness, my vision is 20/20... No glasses or impairments that I know of.

I thought every one in my circle of friends had the low light blurry peep issue... I know for certain Dad does. Maybe I was being a little narrow minded assuming everyone had this problem.

So for those of you shooting a 1/4" peep, what is the first thing to go in low light? Your pins? I have a hard time imagining your peep not getting blurry...

My peep is black... maybe a brighter color would be beneficial. Kind of ironic I start a thread to help people and now I'm the one who is learning!!! Haha

That's what I love about the beast.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Actually the first thing for me to go in low light especially early in the season with leaf cover is detail on the deer itself. My peep and bright pins are a non-issue and I have even practiced in the dark before on a brighter target with no issues. My fiber optics stay fairly bright even after dark for some time.

Agreed. The deer itself almost becomes a dark figure, even though you can make out head, rack, tail, neck, it's the smaller details, such as shoulder line, ribs that disappear for me. I think shooting a smaller peep is great for accuracy, and a peep in general, but in low light situations, if you shoot a peep, you need to compromise for enough light transfer. As I said earlier, many guys who are overly concerned with this shoot no peep. I also think those rheostat lights some sights make try to compensate for this, but to me it's so overpowering it drowns out the deer itself. I draw when it gets to be close to this time and when I know I can't see well enough to shoot a deer confidently at 20 yards I start to pack up.

My peep gets blurry first then I lose the deer and my pins are almost always fine. Except for red... Yellow is way better and green is best for me.

WTA I agree about lighted pins... They're horribly overbearing.

It gets pretty darn dark before I can't shoot, but my issue is not being 100% confident my pin is centered in my peep. That's what the basis of the thread started out as... Shoot in super low light so you know your exact limits. We'll come to find I have a peep issue an didn't even know it lol.

Who has recommendations for colors? There's gotta be something better than black. Stash that makes sense about the glare... Thanks for bringing that up.

I never worry about centering my pins in my peep. My only concern is lining the peep up perfectly with the gold ring on my site. Works the same as a rear sight on a gun with iron sites. This way I get the most light available at all times.

One thing I do differently than most that may actually help me is I squint my non aiming eye slightly. My eyes are of equal dominance so I see two sets of pins when trying to focus on the target. This eliminates any type of blurred vision completely from my shot.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:02 pm

I see the advantage of the your sight Dewey. That would definitely be slick in low light.

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:11 pm

I shoot a 1/4" peep w/ a 2" dia. 1 pin hha site.

The peep fits perfectly with the fluorescent band of tape surrounding the circumference. Low lite is lining up to circles - pretty simple...

I look for the front shoulder and edge back 4" and go mid body...

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:32 pm

I have heard of shooting rifles with both eyes open (saw it mentioned in a very good movie about a VERY good shooter), but have not seen people doing it archery.

I will have to give a try sometime but I know my natural reflex will be to close the left eye and it may be fight to get it open.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
slowpoke69

Unread postby slowpoke69 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:55 pm

JoeRE wrote:
bigwoodsmn wrote: [glow=red]The key is to focus on the target with both eyes -then all those issues go away.[/glow]I shoot a single pin sight and the pin just shows up on the target.

I think that is critical - shouldn't even think about the peep sight or try to look at it at all. The point of focus should be the target and then just floating the pin around the point of aim. Ignore the peep your eye will center the sight picture as needed subconsciously, but if the pin is hard to see yea a bigger peep might help.

I couldn't even tell you if I center my sight ring or each individual pin in the peep. Whichever I subconsciously do seems to stay consistent.

I just started to really figure this out. So I agree with this. I haven't done the both eyes yet.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Lockdown wrote:I see the advantage of the your sight Dewey. That would definitely be slick in low light.

The pins are usually much brighter but my bow was in the dark basement just before I took the pic. The fiber optic loops didn't pick up any light yet.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:17 am

Dewey wrote:
Lockdown wrote:I see the advantage of the your sight Dewey. That would definitely be slick in low light.

The pins are usually much brighter but my bow was in the dark basement just before I took the pic. The fiber optic loops didn't pick up any light yet.

So how does that affect how bright the pin is at first legal shooting light?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:31 am

stash59 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

I rarely hunt early mornings but any natural light brightens them up just fine.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:13 am

Dewey wrote:
stash59 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

So even UV light must help brighten it up.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:25 am

stash59 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
stash59 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

So even UV light must help brighten it up.

Yeah compact fluorescent light bulbs don't do much for fiber optics. Most sight pins work best in natural light.

P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:52 pm

When I used a peep I did what others said by using whiteout on the peep.

I now use the no-peep sight which uses same concept as fiber optic pins to help you line up your shot.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:19 am

mY PEEP IS ALWAYS BLURRY... Its an age thing for me, my eyes are shot at close range. I fix it by having form, and a kisser.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:06 am

Do alot of you guys use kissers?

I have 2 anchor points - one is a kisser, the other is my string buried in the same spot on my nose. Your whole body has to move to make weird shots -- no needing to "remember" to bend at the waist, etc.

Yesterday I was reading about eyesight drills Olympic shotgunners use. They train their eyes to focus on objects at different distances, using different drills, and training aids -- strenghtening their eyes for focusing at different distances is a critical component of their training. For shotgunning, if you're looking at your sight you're usually in trouble.
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:55 am

Get your eyes check. Old age can cause that. Been there done that - several times.
Progressive lenses are great and they include a bi-focal . No lines in the lenses.

I wear glasses and so I have concentrate on the pin.
Hind Sight Hindsight Magnum Peep Eliminator

I added this to my bow and all I have to do is line up the pin in the cross hairs of the hind sight.
Problem solved.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:35 pm

bigwoodsmn wrote:Do alot of you guys use kissers?

I have 2 anchor points - one is a kisser, the other is my string buried in the same spot on my nose. Your whole body has to move to make weird shots -- no needing to "remember" to bend at the waist, etc.

Yesterday I was reading about eyesight drills Olympic shotgunners use. They train their eyes to focus on objects at different distances, using different drills, and training aids -- strenghtening their eyes for focusing at different distances is a critical component of their training. For shotgunning, if you're looking at your sight you're usually in trouble.

We did lots of eye drills in college. We use a string with different color beads about 12" apart. Hold one end of the string at your nose or whatever and focus back and forth to the different colors. Usually did it with a partner to call out different colors.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”