Shooting with a blurry peep

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Shooting with a blurry peep

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:55 pm

We can talk about many factors that effect our accuracy. Time spent shooting, tuning our bows, form, etc

One of the big issues I've had personally in a hunting scenario is low light. I'm perfectly comfortable shooting in my back yard during broad daylight. Sure I shoot great and its fun, but does this help me in the field?

When do I normally have encounters? Right at prime time... the sun is down and its dark enough that buck feels comfortable enough to move... am I comfortable enough to shoot? :think:

One thing that gives me absolute FITS is a blurry peep. I've made my mistakes and have lost deer on shots as close as 15 yards. I can see the deer's body, I can see my pin, and I center it "perfectly" in the blur of my peep and then... ??? :o

As light fades, accuracy decreases. Being familiar with a blurry peep has helped me know when to draw the line, and it has helped my confidence tremendously.

I don't shoot all that often, but I like to shoot at dark...

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Shooting with a blurry peep

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:03 pm

I'm not following you? Pin is clear, target is clear, but the peep is bury? What style of peep? How big of a hole in the peep?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:13 pm

When your lining up the sight and it's always one thing that doesn't come together. Usually for me it's making out the deer.
I bought the true glow low-light peep, the thing was awesome. Except it was so big, the strings keeping it in place (above/below the peep) kept coming loose so it would slide. I had them ready do it twice before I threw it away. Carbon express has one that is diamond shaped, might work better.

I think this discussion has been had before, I believe the color blue has been proven to work well under low light conditions.

I have been told to just spend the money and get sights that don't require a peep.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:19 pm

Stanley wrote:I'm not following you? Pin is clear, target is clear, but the peep is bury? What style of peep? How big of a hole in the peep?

3/16 peep

I'm not saying my pin and target are PERFECTLY crisp like they are during daylight... each has a bit of a blur... my peep is definitely my main issue.

Stanley my main point is it is easy for a hunter to practice in a comfortable environment. Typically the shots we are offered in the field are much more difficult than what we practice. I shoot a small peep which helps with accuracy during daylight, but it is a hindrance when it starts getting dark. That is why I like to practice after the sun has set. It helps me learn my limitations.

I keep shooting until I know I can't hit my target with confidence...
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:07 pm

I shoot a big peep with the clarifier out. My sight fits just inside the peep in my sight picture. It's more about my anchor points I guess. I shoot both eyes open so that helps in low light. I'm sure that is pretty typical.

We shoot with lights off at league sometimes for fun.

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:50 pm

I've ran into the exact same issue many of times. I hunt deep in the woods often in very thick stuff. Even with legal shooting hours sometimes with the thick canopy it can be a real challenge to dial in on the buck in lower light conditions. Have had to let down a few times due to this and just pass the shot.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:06 pm

Shooting in low light is something I've been doing for the past month or so. I'll go about my business through out the day and when those last few minutes of daylight come about I go out and shoot, even past shooting hours light just to get more comfortable. This morning I was up at 4 got ready for work then as the shooting light approached I went out and shot. That first shot in grey of the morning light is something I don't have much experience with. It's interesting shooting as it gets lighter out compared to shooting as it gets darker.

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:39 pm

In low light conditions I shoot with both eyes open. I practice regularly shooting both ways one eye & two eye.

Make sure before trying both eyes open shooting your dominant eye & dominant hand are the same side. If not good chance your loosing an arrow!!!!

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:53 pm

Interesting conversation. I would say if its something that has been an issue definitely practicing in those conditions will help. Maybe its an eye issue? I had to look it up, but presbyopia is the condition of an eye not being able to focus at different ranges, it requires bifocals or multifocal lenses to correct...just something that popped into my head.

How good is your night vision - I know that varies greatly from person to person. My wife can't see in the dark at all and I seem to do better than average. I always wondered if that could be what makes some hunters struggle with low light shooting and others never seem to have a problem with it.

If I remember right my peep 1/4", I drilled it out to that size because it was cutting out too much light. I have never had an issue in low light conditions anywhere close to to legal shooting time and never felt like I had an issue centering it in the peep. I wear glasses to correct severe short nearsightedness and a touch of stigmatism so its not like my eyes are great in any other way. Without glasses I am half blind.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:56 pm

cbigbear wrote:In low light conditions I shoot with both eyes open. I practice regularly shooting both ways one eye & two eye.

Make sure before trying both eyes open shooting your dominant eye & dominant hand are the same side. If not good chance your loosing an arrow!!!!

I shoot with both eyes open as well. Something I started when I was a kid and it carried through. I've never had problems in low light and thinking about it that may be why.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:06 am

I've always liked my small peep and feel it has been an integral part of accuracy... I shot my buddy's bow a few years back and that was the first thing I noticed... Bigger peep. I didn't like it.

Now I'm wondering if I should drill mine out a hair?

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:09 am

I tried shooting shotgun with both eyes open and it did not come naturally to me at all.

I'll have to try it...

Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:19 am

Couple things that I have changed the last couple years that lean more toward the hunting scenerio. Both have been mentioned already though and I will throw a new one in. I started shooting a bigger peep about 5 years ago. Definitely helped with letting more light in. Second, I started shooting with both eyes open the same here I changed the peep size. Having both eyes open really helped with the "big" picture of what was going on with the shot. Then lastly, nothing really to do with a peep. But I changed to a single pin sight. At first light or last light, I am able to focus a whole lot better with the single pin. Took me some years to really set in that I am a hunter. Not trying to be a professional target archer. Hope this kinda makes sense.

mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:42 am

Last year i had big issues with this type of thing at last light. Part of my problem is that I am left eye dominant, but still shoot right handed. On my old old bow, I had a Red Hawk peep, which works great in low light. But when I had upgraded bows back in 2013, I put in a clairifer peep as I was getting back to the point of needed to were glasses again. (had lasik, but now need reading glasses, ect....) So, after missing 3 oppurtuintes last year at last light, I figured it was time to switch to a left hand bow, still in process, but I decided to switch out the peep, and go back to the red hawk peep. I used the #2020, which is about Ø.405 for the amber portion, and Ø1/8 for the clear. gives you the accuracy you want, but lets in enough light to see the deer, ect... On this peep, I ground off the tube attachment, and have it tied in. it hasn't shifted on me yet. I used a constricter knot to tie it in, then ran the serving material up and down the legs to tie it off.

While it is a bigger peep, it has worked well in the past for me, and I can pick the target up while being left eye dominant, but still shooting right. I have practiced squinting my left eye to get the right eye lined up, then i can open the left all the way.

Not sure if it will help, but might.

last year around black friday, he was offering buy one, get one free.
http://www.redhawk-archery.com/peep.php
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:07 am

I shoot with a larger peep . I can see a fairly large picture...More than anything, I think Its just another anchor point for me.. I use my hand touching my earlobe. String touching tip of nose and look through the peep...I also like to use fewer pins on my sight to help reduce clutter.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”