Great tool for private land. First time with saw...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Great tool for private land. First time with saw...

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed May 25, 2016 10:59 am

In all of my scouting, came across an apple tree that is in a bedding area. Its just so nasty thick, no possibility of hunting with a lot of cutting. You can barely walk through it...but I found some beds...found a bunch of them. Bunch of blossoms.

This is what it looked like when I started

My buddy bought a 18v battery powered chainsaw. Figured I would give it a try as I am in an urban area and not really interested in drawing a lot of attention. Really worked well. Definitely not a real chainsaw but really light and worked really well for this type of stuff. Very little noise. Pretty handy.

Here is the finished result. Going to end up hunting from the ground. Did cut an access trail into some of the beds. Be interesting to see if the deer use it.

I know bucks are around and have bedded here in the past...we shall see if the same holds true for this year. Does not hurt to have some of the apple trees cleaned so that I can hunt them in future years.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: Great tool for private land. First time with saw...

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed May 25, 2016 11:01 am

Thought you Wisconsin public land hunters would be interested :lol: :D
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:03 am

Put a camera up high pointed down and see what activty u get

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed May 25, 2016 11:43 am

Bayshorebuck8 wrote:Put a camera up high pointed down and see what activty u get

There will be a few cameras around this area...kind of a secondary area really not counting on it to produce much. But ya never know. Let's just say it will be up close and personal if it happens. Just enjoy being out there a preparing.

But there are does in here...and we do like venison. And it's urban so does not cost me a buck tag.

Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed May 25, 2016 12:36 pm

Just a heads up a battery powered sawzall works great for trimming as well. My Dewalt got some work last year small game season in a few places I found on a buddies lease.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed May 25, 2016 1:01 pm

Tufrthnails wrote:Just a heads up a battery powered sawzall works great for trimming as well. My Dewalt got some work last year small game season in a few places I found on a buddies lease.

That will be my next "try". I have a lot more uses for a sawzall than I do a battery operated chainsaw...
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed May 25, 2016 2:42 pm

mainebowhunter wrote:
Tufrthnails wrote:Just a heads up a battery powered sawzall works great for trimming as well. My Dewalt got some work last year small game season in a few places I found on a buddies lease.

That will be my next "try". I have a lot more uses for a sawzall than I do a battery operated chainsaw...

LOL! I have a gas operator pole chainsaw, which is idea if you got a lot of work 15ft and below, but that cordless sawzall comes in way more handy around the house. I would have never in a million years bought it. My SIL bought it for me for christmas (she had no idea what it was the saleman asked a few questions about me and said yep he needs one of these!). If it was to break by next week I would have another one!
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Thu May 26, 2016 12:08 am

Man the battery powered tools have come so far. We have converted e very thing in my work truck to battery stuff. Mostly makita and Hilti. Our saw gets used almost everyday and they are tough. It doesn't run all day but 6-7 cuts everyday and it keeps rocking. For personal use you can't beat them plus no gas to deal with.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu May 26, 2016 12:11 am

I use one of these to clear access trails through blackberry/plum thickets - also have used to clear J Hook trails through thick areas on key destination points (bedding areas, water hole, etc.) It is amazing how quickly deer start using them when the rest of the area is really thick with thorny brush we have down here.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Thu May 26, 2016 2:32 am

DaveT1963 wrote:I use one of these to clear access trails through blackberry/plum thickets - also have used to clear J Hook trails through thick areas on key destination points (bedding areas, water hole, etc.) It is amazing how quickly deer start using them when the rest of the area is really thick with thorny brush we have down here.

Very true. I know a old man in Georgia who mows trails through the briars and river cane and shoots the deer walking the trails. He's not killing g big giant mega bucks every year but he does on occasion. They will for sure walk them.

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu May 26, 2016 2:39 am

DaveT1963 wrote:I use one of these to clear access trails through blackberry/plum thickets - also have used to clear J Hook trails through thick areas on key destination points (bedding areas, water hole, etc.) It is amazing how quickly deer start using them when the rest of the area is really thick with thorny brush we have down here.

That is what the deer started to do in this area on another set cut for some apples. Deer ended up bedding right where I cut. Yesterday, made another trail to try and "help" them. I really should go right through the middle of the place and make a trail. It would encourage them to use it. I know does are bedded there right now. Like I said, its kind of secondary area but its fun to see what can be done with this nasty thick overgrown mess.

With some of the urban hunting, its tough. Deer move from piece to piece, cross roads and bed in peoples back yards. So when you see a buck in one spot, which "yard" is he bedding in. Not all urban is broke up like this...but this piece I am hunting is. You would think they would be easier to find than 500 acres of timber. Not so much.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu May 26, 2016 3:06 am

X2

Looking @/into a battery operated tree pole trimmer too!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu May 26, 2016 3:14 am

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu May 26, 2016 3:26 am

Those battery powered tools are the bomb. The only draw back might be they don't work very well in real cold weather.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Thu May 26, 2016 3:28 am

mainebowhunter wrote:

That is what the deer started to do in this area on another set cut for some apples. Deer ended up bedding right where I cut. Yesterday, made another trail to try and "help" them. I really should go right through the middle of the place and make a trail. It would encourage them to use it. I know does are bedded there right now. Like I said, its kind of secondary area but its fun to see what can be done with this nasty thick overgrown mess.

With some of the urban hunting, its tough. Deer move from piece to piece, cross roads and bed in peoples back yards. So when you see a buck in one spot, which "yard" is he bedding in. Not all urban is broke up like this...but this piece I am hunting is. You would think they would be easier to find than 500 acres of timber. Not so much.

What is sweet as you can put bends on these trails that give you a wind advantage ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”