How would you hunt it?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

woody-san

How would you hunt it?

Unread postby woody-san » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:52 am

I recently scouted a spot that holds a lot of bedding, including at least 1 good buck bed (single bed with obvious rubbing branches). I'm thinking this is going to be a real challenge to hunt in the early season. Here is a pic, let's call it the Dragon Wing,

-Gray areas are wooded points, mostly red oaks. From point to point is about 50-100 yards.
-Purple areas are the "webbing" between the bones (points), lower than the adjacent grays
-Blue are lakes
-Red dot is an obvious buck bed (single bed, rub right by the bed)
-Red dashed line is a back door going down a steep hill to the backside of the lake
-Green dots are doe beds (assumed as such due to smaller tracks, no rubs, and beds being in clusters)
-The lake to the West is in a deep hole, surrounded by thick brush
-Purple dots are 2 white oaks I found amongst the red oaks
-Purple X's are potential stand sites for early season
-Red X is a potential stand site if the buck goes out the back door
-Orange X's are potential stand sites for rut cruising

This has several factors making a hunt challenging:

1.) Stacking of beds. It's be easy to blow out adjacent beds trying to hunt the buck bed. Beds closer to the base of the points make it even more difficult to not blow something out from the tip of the point
2.) Lake to the East is substantial, with steep descent from beds down to the lake. There will be a thermal effect from the lake. Due to the drop off from the edge of the points, I'm imagining it'll mostly be pulling air towards the lake. Both rising and falling air could cause a vacuum, sucking air to the lake
3.) Food at the beds...they don't have much incentive to travel far if acorns are dropping. They can literally eat in bed. I don't think the hay fields are a strong enough draw to suck them out of there during daylight.
4.) Tons of leaves, it's very loud and crunchy walking in there. I almost think one would have to wait for a day when the ground is wet to approach these beds.

How would you guys set up your early season, "beast-style" hunt?

My best idea would be to wait for a rainy spell and sit one of the purples X's and hope to not blow out adjacent beds. Another option I would try, and likely my least invasive option, would be to hunt the back door of that buck bed.

Maybe this is unapproachable from the West during early season and best saved for Late Oct./November?

TNstalker

Re: How would you hunt it?

Unread postby TNstalker » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:52 am

Can u not come around the top of the hay fields hunt the top x with southwest wind?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
woody-san

Unread postby woody-san » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:40 am

That's one way to go about it, there's a big wooded draw to the North. However, the bed near the base of the point worries me
If something is bedded there when I come in, hunt over before it started.

That point is pretty long though, I wonder if I could setup halfway between the buck and the base of the point. As I mentioned before, I'd need the utmost stealth. It'd need to be wet, or windy enough to cover my steps.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:03 pm

How long is the point? An if it's a doe bed I remember Dan saying if u bust other deer it happens does not mean ur hunt is done. But I'm like u if I can keep from it then why not

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:11 pm

woody-san wrote:That's one way to go about it, there's a big wooded draw to the North. However, the bed near the base of the point worries me
If something is bedded there when I come in, hunt over before it started.

That point is pretty long though, I wonder if I could setup halfway between the buck and the base of the point. As I mentioned before, I'd need the utmost stealth. It'd need to be wet, or windy enough to cover my steps.

I wouldn't worry about busting a doe. I'd do what you said but I would find out how far the buck can see and set up just a bit further away. sw wind.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:13 pm

the back door option would be good if he had a reason to head that way.
woody-san

Unread postby woody-san » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:44 pm

The back door goes down to a lake. If it's a hot early season day, he may head down there for a drink.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:06 am

White Oaks all the way woody-san!
woody-san

Unread postby woody-san » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:48 am

The white oaks excite me, if they're producing fruit it'll attract the deer for sure. That point they're on is full of bedding...I'm not sure I have the ninja skills to sneak up on that one

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”