How silent is your "silent setup"?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Re: How silent is your "silent setup"?

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:40 am

Sound information was the other one where I took the decibel meter for a walk

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14798&

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Bubbles

Unread postby Bubbles » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:37 am

WKPTodd wrote:I've set-up within 50 yards of bucks, and killed them minutes after. Being silent isn't critical - making no metallic noise is. I pick really windy days to move in on them, the wind helps cover noise. I also avoid timber if the leaves are too dry. Can't sneak up on one in potato chips!

Good point. Last season in December we had that awful snow with a thick crust from lots of freezing rain or just a warm day that froze over night. Impossible to be stealthy. Gotta work on my "deer walking"

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bubbles

Unread postby Bubbles » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:38 am

Thanks for the links uncle Lou. I'll check those out.

Bubbles

Unread postby Bubbles » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:23 pm

Good info on those other threads

Some guys were mentioning a walking stick.
I definitely agree with that. I've been using a trekking pole for my stalks in and it had made me a lot quieter. Makes a huge difference having a 3rd balance point. Especially with 20+pounds on your back. You can take all the time you want for that next step and you're not balancing precariously the whole time. You can also take bigger steps and still get a soft footfall to get over something that would put you off balance otherwise. But now both your hands are full (bow and stick) and there is one more thing to worry about hitting on brush. Pros and cons.

mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:57 pm

I was wondering about how quiet the Trekking poles would be. I know they would have saved me going thru the tag alders/swamp water last year. (I tipped over 5x coming out one night, and once going in.) What kind of success have you had in keeping them quiet? That would be my problem using them, staying quiet.

Otherwise, I am pretty good, but still get the occasional clank, usually a piece of brush sliding off my stand as I twist, duck, and turn to get thru the thick stuff. My clothing is all quiet, switched to wool and wolfskin fabric (grey wolf woolens jacket), fleece, ect.... I will never buy any clothing that makes any noise. learned that lesson years ago.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:46 am

Silence is a mindset IMO. When mapping out your final approach, think then act. Mentally know where/how you are going to approach your stand, how you will slip through a brushy thick area and remain silent. Good equipment certainly helps, but might be oversold somewhat.

When hanging the stand think about each step and take your time. If you are struggling while hanging the stand, it's easy to get hacked off and make a mistake. I silence my sticks, buckles and stand so if I do make a mistake the sound will hopefully be lessened and not blow the hunt.

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:49 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:[glow=red]Silence is a mindset IMO[/glow]. When mapping out your final approach, think then act. Mentally know where/how you are going to approach your stand, how you will slip through a brushy thick area and remain silent. Good equipment certainly helps, but might be oversold somewhat.

When hanging the stand think about each step and take your time. If you are struggling while hanging the stand, it's easy to get hacked off and make a mistake. I silence my sticks, buckles and stand so if I do make a mistake the sound will hopefully be lessened and not blow the hunt.

Well said, couldnt agree more.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”