tracking

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NIGEL01
Facebook: pinemartenpossibles

tracking

Unread postby NIGEL01 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:39 am

Listening to podcasts and reading different threads, I see being able to read tracks as being a very important piece of the puzzle. I'm not much of a tracker, I can tell the difference between a big and small track, that's about it. Is there a good resource you guys would recommend or is it just a matter of putting your nose to the ground with trial and error?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: tracking

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:01 am

There is no substitute for experience and an eye for detail when it comes to tracking. You can identify specific deer by subtle differences in their tracks.

The best way to keep track and identify those subtle differences is to take a picture with your cellphone so it is easily available for quick reference.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:17 am

search this site. lots of good info.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:58 am

If you haven't already I highly recommend buying some of the books and dvd's put out by the Benoit family. They were and the few still around are the best trackers in the country. I learned a ton from their stuff. Think I pretty much bought it all over the years since I just can't seem to get enough of it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:47 am

There is no subsitute for time spent in the field following and studying tracks, one thing that will help you is to watch deer in the summer in fields watch where they come where they go ect and then go out the next day midday and check out the tracks of the deer you know made them because you seen them.

Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:50 am

Dan did a great article on wired to hunt about tracking. I just re-read it, and I believe that same article is here on the Beast as well.

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
jbone23

Unread postby jbone23 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:44 pm

How much do y'all use tracks in areas that get zero snowfall? Ive looked at them on dirt roads and in mud, but never paid that much attention because you can't get any where the amount of info as you would in snow.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:47 am

I live in TN we don't get snow much at all. I try to use as much as possible. Leaves make it tough but if u will pay attention u can find them in the leaves mostly half tracks. Sometimes go out of ur way to find on any bare ground I can find. Tracks r important no matter where u are just more effort to find where there is less or no snow.

tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:21 am

I just found some beds today tracking in the leaves here in Ny. The first we're kind of easy, I heard deer run off so I went to that area and found where the leaves were over turned. Then like tracking a poorly hit deer I back tracked them until I found where they were bedding. I've also been kind of training my eyes, I'll walk on my heels a few yards and turn around and look for the marks, they leave a slight imprint in the ground but noticeable. I found a set of wide spread tracks that lead me back to a bed I found in the winter.

Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:31 pm

jbone23 wrote:How much do y'all use tracks in areas that get zero snowfall? Ive looked at them on dirt roads and in mud, but never paid that much attention because you can't get any where the amount of info as you would in snow.

I'm no expert, but I would have to respectfully disagree with that last statement. Tracks in snow tend to be less clear than on dirt and snow tracks change shape and size with freezing and thawing. Tracks are more clear when they're in firm mud or dirt. It's much easier to find a specific track from the same buck again another day using a picture taken in firm mud or soil versus a picture taken of a track in snow. You can map out these tracks and get an idea of bedding, travel routes, and core areas.

Bucks leave tracks no matter what. You just have to work more to find them without snow.

I like creek crossings, dirt roads, paths, field edges after a fresh rain. If hunting an area when the water is low, a moist lake shore is great as well. Deer sometimes take shortcuts due to the low water and sometimes leave a J hook there plain as day. I also seem to remember DaveT rakes areas of bare ground to "collect" tracks in Texas. Lots of options without snow.

Most guys don't make a great effort, and most guys are also really "not in the game" when it comes to mature bucks. Snow has some advantages. You have plenty of opportunities without it however.

Keep trying and don't give up!

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
jbone23

Unread postby jbone23 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:35 pm

^Good points. Guess Ive always kind of written off paying great deal of attention to tracks because thought it could only be done in snow. Definitely going to put your advice to work this spring. thanks

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”