Where is the buck 4: Public/Private split twist

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briar
500 Club

Re: Where is the buck 4: Public/Private split twist

Unread postby briar » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:15 am

My question to beast hunters is in reality if you scouted a piece like this with the obvious amount of pressure on it and easy access, how much effort would you really be putting in, or would you simply just move on?

My view is most would move on.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:30 am

That depends, just because an area has pressure doesn't mean there are not good overlooked spots where a buck can be killed.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:51 am

Briar, I have often contemplated this but although there are many stands.. I have noticed a decrease in bow season. I think once the deep ruts make the atv trail annoying to walk on and the fair distance walk off the roads, most hunters neglect hunting their stands and go elsewhere

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:01 am

How many acres is that total area roughly?

hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:15 am

Briar, I believe the public is 50 ish and the private is about 120 excluding fields. Update: I walked inside the road edge on the public and found no beds but found a decent secondary spot I can climb to watch 2 trails intersecting about 20 yds in. I would guess any deer using the public will skirt inside the bush near the road instead of going through the middle where it's more open and stands are nearby

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:23 am

Hunter10...this is very very typical of the kind of areas i hunt. When i look at the photo i see alot of that 170 acres being field. I know it has been said alot that deer dont generally bed in corn, but around us they do because its the safest daytime cover...in this kinda small parcel woods its so hard to keep deer in that woods when any kinda pressure ramps up...deer head to the fields or the next block over where they dont get fussed with. My biggest challenge outside of hunting rut travel routes is finding woods where i dont see hunter sign. This area may be that spot, but it will take hunting and see how the other hunters shake out. Imo those other hunters will determin more where the deer are more than anything else.

kurt

Unread postby kurt » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:35 am

Agree with others to a point

Unless it was close I would move on. I would not go out of my way from what I seen. I try to travel to bigger areas aND pick up small honey holes along the way. This doesn't fit that for my area. Alot of stands don't scare me. Plenty of fair weather hunters or just gun hunters. I just like somewhere deer can get some age something that gives them advantages. Like big marshes, steep terrain, good distances from big cities is even one...small pressured farmland not feeling it

If this is by my house I could probably go through it enough through the years to leave no stone unturned, i get stir crazy aND if its close. Then monitor(shine-glass-cameras) it for something I want to kill. To me with the fields I see a decent early season ...especially if your getting first crack

hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:18 pm

I also agree. part of the reason this topic was posted was to see how pressure will effect others confidence in a spot. Many times I have wanted to throw in the towel but the large tracks, big rubs during pre rt and rut keep me coming back considering the neighbouring lands are hit even harder.

I totally agree with standing corn being a make or break. I love standing corn surrounding bush lots. I also beleive it is one of the only ways to sneak into a parcel undetected unless there is a creek, drainag etc. this is in farm country ofcourse.

One thing I have noticed over the years with the public place make it even more clear why bucks bed to watch the entry areas of hunters. There is only 2 areas the average hunter will access this place. one being the atv trail in the south of the picture and the other being the north road. Seeing guys do it over and over really makes it stand out how predictable an average/lazy/non beast hunter becomes.

Unfortunately with the private, I am trying to be different or hunt the odd places but it may be a lost cause with all the extra activity in the parcel making any odd place still in a close proximity to a stand, access route or other recreation usage.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”