where is the buck?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: where is the buck?

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:34 am

magicman54494 wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:
mainebowhunter wrote:Its interesting on the deadend trails. Many times when i am in bedding cover and i see a run...and it ends...i start looking for beds. Basically the trail is a bedding trail. Found that a few times this spring. I am on a run that just peters out. Found this again on Tuesday of this week. Could see a run...with old rubs...head into cover...but just ended. Bingo. There are the beds.

Is that what you are referring to when you say deadend trails?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

thats what you will see on foot and maybe on aerials. but you have to look at the bigger picture on aerials. does the spot dead end because of water or just a huge open area. maybe (like in my first example) the woods is laid out so they go an easier way to get thru that area. there may be 3 islands in a row with trails running from one to the other to the other but there may be another island off to the side that gets very little traffic. I wish I could show my spots because they are very good examples but I fear others will hunt them if I post them. I hope this explains it better.

I am guessing its because I am talking about totally different terrain. You will never figure it with aerials. Its solid timber, big woods. Secure bedding is EVERYWHERE. I would call it preferred bedding. So they bed accordingly. The reason for the run are the beds.

Thanks for showing the real spot...hello cyberstalkers... :D

hey maine, if you hunt big woods you might find this interesting http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17410 It's more about hunting than bedding.

BINGO. :D First paragraph is spot on how I scout bigger tracts of timber. Most of Maine is timber. 95% of my time is spent scouting edges (guys here call them transitions). Very subtle edges...softwood to hardwood edges. Some of the edges are much harder. My favorite edges are softwood or hardwood to alders/swamp/swale edge. Spend a lot of time in clearcuts this year of varying ages. Was on a brandnew cut today...just cut last fall. Followed a rubline 25yds inside the edge of the clearcut.

I do the very same thing...mark points on my map on my phone. But I won't derail this thread.

olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:25 pm

Good stuff magic, I hunt similar terrain and can relate to all those thru trails not producing mature bucks Bedrooms I'll have to apply the dead end and see what it produces, though thinking thru past areas definitely quite a few would categorize as dead ends

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:23 am

Thanks for starting this Magic, learn a lot from these examples!

I have very little big woods and swamp experience so mostly am just watching this conversation and learning. One thing I did think early on though, and glad it eventually got brought up, those spiderweb trails that show up on google are almost always doe groups. I think Magic's comments on security and "dead end" buck bedding are very accurate.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:41 am

JoeRE wrote:Thanks for starting this Magic, learn a lot from these examples!

I have very little big woods and swamp experience so mostly am just watching this conversation and learning. One thing I did think early on though, and glad it eventually got brought up, those spiderweb trails that show up on google are almost always doe groups. I think Magic's comments on security and "dead end" buck bedding are very accurate.

YOU KNOW; Magic is not just another pretty face.

NOT AT ALL!

Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:55 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:
JoeRE wrote:Thanks for starting this Magic, learn a lot from these examples!

YOU KNOW; Magic is not just another pretty face.

NOT AT ALL!

I didn't know you could see my face from way down there.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:16 am

Bumping this back to top. Hoping to see more of your tactics Magic.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:13 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Bumping this back to top. Hoping to see more of your tactics Magic.

I took some pics to add to this. when I get time......
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:35 pm

stash59 wrote:Magic do you have any ground level pics of the "bed brush/cover"? That would personally help me be able to relate between what it actually looks like and what an aerial would show.

Also are the bucks still bedding with the brush as a back cover? Then having it more open in front to be able to see! Are these beds wind specific also?

Thanx a bunch for doing this Magic!! And everyone else for all the insightful comments and thoughts!!

8-) :clap: :clap: :think: :think: :think:

here is a picture of an edge with no ground brush - not a good spot

here is the kind of stuff I like!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:57 am

magicman54494 wrote:
stash59 wrote:Magic do you have any ground level pics of the "bed brush/cover"? That would personally help me be able to relate between what it actually looks like and what an aerial would show.

Also are the bucks still bedding with the brush as a back cover? Then having it more open in front to be able to see! Are these beds wind specific also?

Thanx a bunch for doing this Magic!! And everyone else for all the insightful comments and thoughts!!

Sorry it took so long to get to this! Thanks this helps ALOT!!

Where in that mess do you find most of the beds?

Right in it. on the edge of it on the more open side. Or on the edge of it with the woods side.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:06 am

stash59 wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:

Right in it. on the edge of it on the more open side. Or on the edge of it with the woods side.

the best way to answer that is they like a hump to lay on or slightly higher ground. they also like a spot where they can see a distance. I think they like a spot where they can look for danger in one direction and smell for danger in another.
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:07 am

magicman54494 wrote:
stash59 wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:

the best way to answer that is they like a hump to lay on or slightly higher ground. they also like a spot where they can see a distance. I think they like a spot where they can look for danger in one direction and smell for danger in another.

Those edges are great! I find cut edge, which is small balsamy (thick) with a slew grass visible from edge downwind, add in a crick or pond (deadend). A lot of Beaver pond edges River edges I hunt are this and dependant on water levels bedding could be interior or outer limits

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"
PEAKRUT

Unread postby PEAKRUT » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:26 pm

He not anywhere I shot him. :D
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:24 am

PEAKRUT wrote:He not anywhere I shot him. :D

You dog!

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:52 am

magicman54494 wrote:
stash59 wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:

the best way to answer that is they like a hump to lay on or slightly higher ground. they also like a spot where they can see a distance. I think they like a spot where they can look for danger in one direction and smell for danger in another.[/quote

Gotcha!! Can't wait until I'm healthy enough to hit my old spot in northern Wisconsin. With all this great info. Not just Magic's, but Klems as well as Dan's and others.

Come on tick borne organisms. BE GONE!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”