Talk about a dirty trick

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Talk about a dirty trick

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:33 pm

stash59 wrote:Dewey that sucks!

But with Dan preaching that early season is better than the rut. I'm surprised so many of you hard core Beast guys still wait to take vacation during the rut!

Im taking the last week of September to bed hunt in Ohio for this very reason.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:39 pm

That's a low blow, but I believe everything happens for a reason. Maybe you'll be tagged out by then and it won't matter!

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:47 pm

But with Dan preaching that early season is better than the rut. I'm surprised so many of you hard core Beast guys still wait to take vacation during the rut!

I always hunt hard early and take some vacation but just can't beat the excitement of a cold November rut, it's what I live for.

Unfortunately we only get so many days to do what we love. If I had a few more weeks of vacation it would for sure go towards the first two weeks of the season. Right now the rut takes priority but this dilemma has me looking at all options so I won't rule it out.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:51 pm

Can't believe he did that to you Dewey. That was definitely low.

Reminds me of the time my boss sent me on the road for most of the fall. Worked long hours and didn't have a chance to hunt during the week. He didn't care as long as I was making him money.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:51 pm

Dewey wrote:

I always hunt hard early and take some vacation but just can't beat the excitement of a cold November rut, it's what I live for.

Unfortunately we only get so many days to do what we love. If I had a few more weeks of vacation it would for sure go towards the first two weeks of the season. Right now the rut takes priority but this dilemma has me looking at all options so I won't rule it out.

Well good luck whatever you choose!
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:23 pm

I don't have to worry about it in my department, but if I was to get 3 years in a row off that time of year and another hunter in my group put in for it and got it, I'd deal. You said he has seniority as well, that has to account for something. Lots of good alternatives Dewey, don't let it get you down man!

venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:44 pm

That was pretty rotten. Although I've been that position in the past. Good thing my new job allows me to take off whenever I want.
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:49 pm

Yep that's dirty alright but I think your good Dewey. I'd put my money on you over him any day of the week with your knowledge on how to hunt them!

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:46 pm

Dang dewey that is a bummer. Theres got to be a way around it i hope.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:28 pm

Some of guys I know like 3rd week. Basicly They go down the week before wi gun and if they haven't got one they stay down during wI gun. At least that what I remember it only happens every 3 years

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:37 pm

Good news. The guy apologized to me and cancelled his vacation the first week of November.

Having friends that have your back is a powerful thing. I think they showed him the error of his ways. I'm a forgiving person so I won't hold it against him but being careful what I tell him in the future.

Dang now you guys got me thinking I should go after some later dates as well. :think:

cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:46 pm

Dewey wrote:Good news. The guy apologized to me and cancelled his vacation the first week of November.

Having friends that have your back is a powerful thing. I think they showed him the error of his ways. I'm a forgiving person so I won't hold it against him but being careful what I tell him in the future.

Dang now you guys got me thinking I should go after some later dates as well. :think:

Good to hear

Wapiti

Unread postby Wapiti » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:28 am

Dewey wrote:Good news. The guy apologized to me and cancelled his vacation the first week of November.

I'm farther east and a little lower than you, but we typically tend to capture the most daylight trail cam picks of bruisers around the 3rd week of November. Might be worth talking to some Iowa guys and see what they think if you draw.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:16 am

Welll, if you are hunting around here this fall the 1st week of Nov is typically the best for cruising activity but this fall I think there will likely be really good movement the second week yet with the rutting moon falling on Nov 14, that will enhance cruising and chasing through that point. I can't stress enough in northern Iowa the 2nd week you typically see more lock down behavior, southern Iowa is where guys see more rutting activity the second week. Regardless good to hear you got some vacation. You need any help with anything, drop me a line Dewey.

Still, for a person who understands buck bedding and how the rut tempo works I recommend the late prerut here for the best combination of low hunting pressure and great odds. The first two weeks of November have by far the most hunting pressure both public and private....yea the third week can be good too, focusing bucks hanging around major doe groups for the last hot doe. Most rut hunters are tagged out, burnt out, or back to work by then.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:30 am

What a Jerk... When I first started at my work place workers (not hunters) would take off the week of gun season so the rest of us would not get off.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”