My last hunt if the yr for a slob

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BowHusker

My last hunt if the yr for a slob

Unread postby BowHusker » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:40 am

Welp, I don't know where the season has gone so fast but tomorrow through Sunday is my last chance to put my target buck on the ground and I can't wait to get out there!

I'm so glad I found this site and have had the opportunity to study from all you guy's experiences. I'm very excited to try a few beast style hunts on a some of the beds ive found in prior hunting trips that have consistently had mature bucks in the past.

One bed in particular has almost always held the head honcho when I've tried hunting it and while I've never got a shot while bumping it out, I have been successful in killing it later in the day after he relocated. This is the bed I'm setting up on in the morning tomorrow as I will have a good wind and the moon's under foot time is at 6:30 am so I'm hoping he will be late getting to his bed. We also just had a big storm system come through a couple days ago and I've seen a lot of day time movement and hope it translates into good morning activity and late bedding.

I'm also pretty pumped because I haven't got to hunt this spot all yr since the landowners son in law kinda wanted the property to himself for bow hunting. There is roughly 3 miles of creek bottom that I will have full reign on and will be pretty aggressive in hunting since it's my last outing.

I don't know why but no one in the last 10 yrs of me hunting here has ever set up (that I know of) in this location and I think that combined with optimal terrain and cover is why this bed seems to be preferred by the mature bucks. I'm after one deer and one deer only, if you'd like to see some pics of him just search for the thread " my target buck survived rifle season". In talking with the land owner he said no one has hunted since rifle season about a month ago so that has my hopes up too! I will be sure to post any sightings and hopefully a kill photo!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

AKA "The Lone Wolf Assassin"
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: My last hunt if the yr for a slob

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:51 am

The season does go fast. Good luck
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:05 am

Here's a quick question for you guys. Is there a time where I can get to my spot to hang my stand which is "too early"?

The reason I ask is because I've never hung a stand in the dark and I want to take my time and be quiet and most importantly safe.

Legal shooting light will be at 7:27, I have a half hour drive and probably a 20 min walk with entry I'm taking so I can avoid all the crop fields. I was going to try to be at my tree (which I haven't even picked yet) at 5:30 with my lone wolf and climbing sticks in toe. I think this should give me plenty of time to select the tree and set up quietly while not being too early. What do you guys think?

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:28 am

Sounds like you have a good plan of action. Although having a tree already picked out may have helped you a bit more. Shooting lanes, cover, travel path, etc. But if you know right where you think he is you should be in for a nice hunt.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:44 am

Good luck!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:54 am

Well, the weather man was wrong and I didn't have the right wind to hunt that spot where I think he is bedding do instead of risking it I relocated to a different part of the property where I've seen good bucks bed before but it's usually just does. Today was no different for that spot as i had 7 does come in there. I did watch a very nice buck on the neighbors property (that no one can hunt) bed down on the totally wrong side of a ridge for the wind and thermals he had, this buck could be special next year!

The under foot moon which was an hour before legal shooting did seem to have an affect on how late I watched that buck bed as it was around 8:30 am, that's pretty late in my opinion. It could also have been that it was only 5 degree's and maybe that kept them up longer too idk.

I actually left early because my toes were really cold and started hurting pretty bad. The wind is supposed to switch this afternoon and I should be able to get close to the bed I think he's using (175 yds) so I'm going to try that set up. Tomorrow I should have the correct wind and another good under foot moon time so I will try to set up on his bed I think, overall a good morning to hunt and I have some good info to enter into my hunting journal.

BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:28 am

Wow, I went to an observation post to overlook the area that initially wanted to hunt this morning but had the wrong wind. I saw around 15 doe a couple yearlings and one mature buck, not the one I'm after but I hope the slob is in the bed that I think he is. Obviously a great spot to hold the deer, I can't wait for the evening hunt!

BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:18 pm

What a day! Things def didn't go quite as planned but it was a great all day hunt. In total I probably saw 50 deer, 5 mature bucks and 2 shooters. One of them was the slob I'm after but he was too far out at 220 yds.

The bad news is there isn't one huntable tree where I thought he was bedding. The other bad news is he isn't bedding (at least not today) where I thought. The good news is I was glassing and found where he is bedding but it's bitter sweet, as my worst fears were confirmed that he is using the bedding area on a absolute no hunting area.

However, he does cross my chunk of property to head out to feed and I think I found a suitable tree to get close enough for a shot. Hopefully I can get a crack at him tomorrow.

It was crazy as I spent about 6 hours glassing the privately owned no hunt zone today. These deer literally moved and browsed for the entire day! I'm not even sure if a couple of the smaller bucks in there even bedded as there was a hot doe and they all took turns chasing her through out the day. It was weird though because the two shooters were bedded with in 50 yds of each other and neither gave any interest at all to the doe.

Overall a great day with lots of learning. Hopefully tomorrow can bring a shot opportunity.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:34 pm

What kind of cover is available where he enters your land? I know you said no trees work... Don't be afraid to try a little ground and pound.

whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:38 pm

Lockdown wrote:What kind of cover is available where he enters your land? I know you said no trees work... Don't be afraid to try a little ground and pound.

Exact thing I was thinking. Don't limit yourself to trees alone. Think outside the box.

BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:59 pm

Lockdown wrote:What kind of cover is available where he enters your land? I know you said no trees work... Don't be afraid to try a little ground and pound.

It's pretty open terrain, there is some CRP grass and plum thickets with some draws but that's about it. He's using the transition area between the corn field and the CRP/Thickets. I was in a ground blind tonight in hopes that they would follow the draw up from the no hunt area. Some of the deer did including some smaller bucks but he stayed up higher much closer to the transition line where there isn't much cover and moving the ground blind wouldn't be an option this late in the year. Plus I'm worried that due to the amount of deer funneling through here id get busted pretty quick.

There is a lone cedar tree about 15 foot tall that I might be able to throw a stand in for a one and done hunt though. If my line of sight correlates to his travel path it would put me within a 100 yds or under shot. I'm going to sneak in with my stand tomorrow afternoon and see if it will work, I'm fairly certain a few deer will possibility wind me but if he and the majority of the deer take the same path again I should be good.

I love this part about chasing deer! Find a deer, try to learn his bedding and travel patterns, observe, adjust and go for broke!

I'll try to post a pic to show what he did today, along with the majority of the otherdeer that moved through.

BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:09 pm

Here is a pic of the area, all the draws to the North (top of pic) are off limits, the deer traveled north to south. The red line is the line most of the deer traveled before going into the field including the target and another shooter. The blue lines are the paths the other deer took to the field. The yellow dot was my ground blind, the green dot is the lone cedar I might be able to put a stand in. Also, I will have a south/southeast wind tomorrow. I think the cedar will work well for this wind with where most of the deer traveled. It's the sheer number of deer using this area that makes it difficult.

I'm def OK with staying on the ground and hunting as I've had quite a bit of success with this and had to do it this morning while wearing my guille suit and it worked well. I'm just not sure due to the slope of the terrain in correlation to where he's traveling and the amount of deer traveling through if I'd be able to pull it off. I'll put up a closer view too.
http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/brady ... 1.jpg.html

BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:31 pm

http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/brady ... 9.jpg.html

Here's a lil closer pic of my area. I circled the cedar in green, the red line is the target deer and blue lines are some of the other routes.

What I can't figure out is why they travel so far south before entering the big ag field. I guess it could be because there is cow's farther up north on the corn stalks maybe idk tho.

BowHusker

Unread postby BowHusker » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:57 am

I had another great morning of hunting, I'm definitely believing these over head under foot moon theories, the deer were moving till 10 am. I had about 20 deer travel through my area in route back to their bedding. Had 7 bucks, one shooter and the rest doe, the shooter was just too far but I'm dead set on the slob anyway but did not see him.

After the action died down I went to observe the bedding area as I have a great view down into the bedding from my property. I saw does bedding where the mature bucks were the day before which I thought was odd as they played right in the same beds. I'm starting to think with the high numbers of deer and sporadic cover of farmland country that the does and bucks bed in very close proximity of each other and even use the same beds as one another. I think this is going to make scouting for buck beds a little tougher because while the bucks def use them, so do the does and then you get these multiple bed looking spots and think it's just doe bedding.

I did get to scout that cedar that I want to put a stand in and it appears that it will work! This will def put me in range if they use the same route they have the last 2 nights! Hopefully tonight is the night!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”