What camo pattern, and does it matter?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GyrPer1

What camo pattern, and does it matter?

Unread postby GyrPer1 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:33 am

Hi guys. First post.

What camo pattern do you use, and why? Also, at the end of the day, does the camo pattern really make a difference? Or, at the end of the day, is the best camo pattern the one that is marketed the most?

Thoughts?

Mountain Man
500 Club

Re: What camo pattern, and does it matter?

Unread postby Mountain Man » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:14 am

I have some Realtree that is about 10 years old that I use. It's a bit faded but that's o.k. I think a lot of the camo today is too dark overall and the big companies have turned camo into a fashion show. While scouting once I was in fairly open woods and I saw some walking deer before they saw me. I had blue jeans on and a solid color sweatshirt. I just stood frozen for a few mintues and they walked within 20 yards of me and didn't bolt until they got down wind. In the early season when it's really hot out (70s/80s) I wear lightweight camo pants and a shortsleeve army green t-shirt and I kill deer dressed like that. I still think the camo helps but which one you use doesn't matter in the end. As long as you blend in to your surroundings a bit. You also need to have your stand positioned correctly and know when to move so you aren't detected.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:33 am

I dont think it matters much.

marty
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:51 am

Whatever blends in best with your immediate surroundings... With that said, I rarely buy expensive camo..

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:00 am

Nice pics.
White is definately good for snow.

marty
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:09 am

Camo pattern is not a high priority for me. I do try to blend in, but other factors are much more important to me- not moving at all, watching the wind direction for changes, etc. I've had many deer within five yards of me while hunting on the ground and I was wearing a hunters orange hat or vest at the time, for example. They didn't spook and walked away. Some of these deer had some age to them, as well.
GyrPer1

Unread postby GyrPer1 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:43 pm

Yep, I agree with all of you. Any type of "Blobauflage" would be fine as long as it blends in. I was just curious to see what your thoughts were on this. More than anything, it seems like whatever is marketed the best will be the style that sells the most. I find it interesting how manufacturers speak to "last years pattern", or the "discontinued pattern" or "out of date" camouflage like it is no longer effective. That bothers me. Not sure why, but it does.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:05 pm

GyrPer1 wrote:Yep, I agree with all of you. Any type of "Blobauflage" would be fine as long as it blends in. I was just curious to see what your thoughts were on this. More than anything, it seems like whatever is marketed the best will be the style that sells the most. I find it interesting how manufacturers speak to "last years pattern", or the "discontinued pattern" or "out of date" camouflage like it is no longer effective. That bothers me. Not sure why, but it does.

The reason that works is many hunters think they can purchase success.
Its easier for then to lay out the cash than put in the work it takes to have consistent success.
The shame of it is they miss out on the most satisfiying part.

marty
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:47 pm

I looked at many camo patterns before I made my first BARK Silencer. I saw many scientific studies as well, by NatGear, Mothwing and many others.

I think the main thing you need to be aware of is UV Brighteners. If your camo has come in contact with UV brighteners they will glow to the deers eyes.

Now some have said, how do you know what a deer sees. And I dont usually respond, but I will say this, when you see a deer in your headlights and his eyes glow green, that tells me his eyes are different than ours, and they see things differently.

Your flannel and gray jeans will be fine as long as they havent seen the Tide sitting on the shelf next to your washing machine.

Also, watch out for all the import crap. For some reason they use UV Brighteners on alot of this camo in overseas operations.

A black light will tell you what has come in contact with UV Brighteners and what has not. Eliminating UV Brighteners can be done, check out ATSKO, just google it.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:47 am

I like realtree AP, but Im thinking I'll try some Predator next. Might be able to get a good deal on it from a good friend.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
The Rav

Unread postby The Rav » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:34 am

I don't believe there is much differance in what camo you use or if you use it at all. However, I do have a bunch of realtree camo from about 3 years back when I first bought my bow. Now that I've had some time to think about it, I think its all just a bunch of marketing. Some fat cat is sitting back getting rich while we pay their way to go on some very expensive hunts.
chad
500 Club

Unread postby chad » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:57 am

I buy cheap camo, nothing fancy usually what's on sale, have never really been picky about it!
DevinJD2007
500 Club

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:20 am

I tend to stick to the Realtree brands.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:53 am

I have some Realtree, Lost, but my favorite is the Predator from Gray Wolf Woolens. I have killed deer wearing them all, so I think there are more important things involved at least for me when I buy camo clothing. The primary one is the materials....NO COTTON for me thanks. My priorities are Quiet, Comfortable, Wicking,light weight or low bulk, Insulating,water repellent, wind resistance and far as the patter I prefer the outline breaking patterns like those from Predator. I am a cold weather pansy, if I wear cotton I freeze, or I am dressed like Ralphie's little brother on A Christmas Story. To many excellent fabrics out there for me to ever wear cotton again. If I wear cotton in warm weather I sweat like nobody's business.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:11 pm

I also don't think the pattern matters so much as being QUIET & LIMITING MOVEMENT
I've used all kinds of patterns and the only time I get busted is by moving too quickly or wearing something with UV brighteners in it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”