Would this setup make any sense?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

justin84
500 Club

Would this setup make any sense?

Unread postby justin84 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:05 am

Always appreciate the advice. I really want to sit this spot but with west winds in the foreseeable future (north is up on picture) would it be a bad idea to hunt the edge (point B)? I have watched alot of deer bed out in the marsh farther west. There is a huge rub line on the edge up the hill towards point A. Elevation drops almost 100 feet from point A to point B, so the edge is a low spot.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Would this setup make any sense?

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:16 am

I would not hunt that spot with a west wind. I would hunt with a south wind or an east wind. When I set up on any buck I like to burn as little ground as possible. With a west wind your burning the timber where the bucks would come from. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Peeps22
500 Club

Unread postby Peeps22 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:58 am

If youre looking at hunting it in the evening a west wind would work of youre expecting them to be bedding in the marsh. But otherwise stan is right. Really this time of year, unless youre hunting a specific bed or bedding area, the deer could come from any direction (especially in marshes).

[ Post made via Android ] Image
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:35 pm

Thanks guys. I will save this spot for another day.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:03 am

I don't think I would hunt that spot at all... I would be further west in the swamp. I marked one tree that looks "ok" but I would like to see whats further West.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:42 am

Thanks, Dan. I was setup the other day with a south wind for a quick morning hunt right on the edge to the right of that tree you circled. I had a doe and fawn come right by, could have shot but was hoping they had company. No luck. Not much for trees to the west, it does go on for a looong way though. Might be a good place for a step ladder.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”