Lower Standards or Keep Scouting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jphunter
500 Club

Lower Standards or Keep Scouting?

Unread postby Jphunter » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:21 am

This is something that I have been thinking about the last couple years and I was curious what everyone's thoughts were. As the season approaches do you lower your standards or do you keep scouting and seeking out new areas until you find an animal that you want to go after.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Lower Standards or Keep Scouting?

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:27 am

I usually wont hunt places that don't have the type of deer I want to hunt and target. Killing them is another story :D

I routinely go to other states or areas just to target those type deer. Around here if you arent driving far away you will see more hunters than deer.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:50 am

You want meat or racks...?
It's in the eye of the beholder & your choice.

Have with it either way...!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:08 am

What does the area historically hold? If you aren't seeing much yet I might hold off a little bit, the best time of the year is just around the corner and the bucks are going to spreading out and more active. With that said no one can make this call for you, it's a personal choice. It also might depend on how high your standards are to begin with and if they don't match your area.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:54 am

My goals are set by the property I'm hunting. If I don't think the property holds the quality of buck I'm sfter, I move on.

There are properties I hunt that are close and I can hunt them when I don't have time to hunt other places....these local close by after work areas have less goals than my out of state hunts.

My goals are based on what's living on the land I'm hunting. I strive for the oldest or largest racked deer where I'm hunting

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:56 am

I think it depends on what stage in the hunter cycle you are in. When I first took up trad archery is was important for me to get some deer under my belt. As seasons passed and I had taken a lot of deer I soon turned to better class bucks. Now, heading into my silver years I tend to focus on a specific buck. While it usually is an older buck it may or may not be classified as a trophy. To me it is the cat and mouse game that pursues (and I usually lose) that excites me. Finding that buck out and then working at finding and exploiting a weakness in his routine. I usually have five or six specific bucks scattered across several hunting areas that I am after on any given year. And then there is always the occasional surprise that just shows up. But for me, now, it is taking a specific buck on purpose - or at least trying to.

I remember a buck from a few years ago that I had pursued for a four years. When I first saw him I guess he as 4 1/2 maybe 5 1/2. I hunted for him for three years hard and we had many encounters but he always managed to avoid an arrow. Finally on the fourth year I got my opportunity. He had gone down dramatically in score. At one time he was a prime and majestic five year old sporting a 160 inch ten point typical rack. On that day he was what I guess to be a 125 inch nine point. His face had greyed up quit a bit since the last time I had seen him. His gate was slower and much more purposeful and his body had lost significant mass.... further proof that he was probably 9 1/2 years old or perhaps even older?

I had him at 18 yards totally unaware and broadside.... a shot I don't miss very often. As I drew and picked a spot tight to his right shoulder, I knew immediately I wasn't going to let loose an arrow. We had to much history together and he had completely won over my respect by then. He had done what few bucks had done, he had avoided my best efforts over many seasons. Usually I get my buck; that or nature, car or another hunter does. I have seldom had the opportunity to hunt a mature buck for four years in a row. This had become more then just a hunt for a trophy.

As I let down my longbow, he must have heard me because he stopped and looked right at me. I made no effort to hide or to conceal my presence, and I know that buck knew I was there. Our eyes met for a brief moment and for me it was a moment of deep respect, satisfaction and most of all gratitude. A moment like I have seldom felt out in the woods before or since. He did not blow, alert or run, he just looked for a second or two and then continued on his way. He disappeared into a woodlot to the North where we had shared so many of our encounters together. Maybe the above recollection is my over dramatizing the scene as it played out from my perspective? Maybe it was just what I wanted that moment to be? Who knows but it is as real today sitting here typing about it as it was that cold November 3rd morning in the Montana wilderness.

I never saw that buck again - I would like to think he fell asleep somewhere and passed on to the next life in peace. I know it is corny and animals supposedly don't reason, but I hope that old monarch felt what I did at that moment when our eyes met for the last time. I hope that he could look back on the last four years and think like I did "that was one heck of a match"

To this day that is the buck I think of the most when I look back on 35+ years of hunting with stick and string. Those deer or memories don't come along very often..... and for me, at this stage, that is what epitomizes "the hunt" for me.

So, in the final analysis, only you can make that call.... and only you have the right to make that call. Follow your heart.
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:11 pm

Yeah I agree it is a matter of choice and what that hunters goal is at a particular time or for a particular property and you guys have given me some more to think about..maybe it's time to make some out of state trips. Dave that was an awesome story!!! It felt like I was watching the hunt take place..

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:34 pm

Dave - awesome story

jp - I think if you aren't finding the thrill you need around your home area, go find your thrill. Lowering your standards doesn't seem like the right answer to me (not that its wrong) and scouting in extreme amounts can be exhausting. Out of state trips are a ton of fun.

That said I do think Headgear is right... the best is yet to come and you never know what might happen.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:40 am

That's a tough call. I didn't lower my standards and years of not seeing my standards has caused me to lose desire and drive. I went out of state chasing my goals and while fun, success is hard on limited time. For me the excitement is more in the preperation than the hunt now days. I get excitement from buying the equipment and practicing my bow and scouting new ground. Now that season is open Im not even motivated to go out. My standards wont be met, didn't find anything exciting during my scouting. My advice is to find what it is that makes you happy and focus on that. I know this site is about big bucks, but that road can be frustrating and disappointing and zap the fun out of it.

Dave I enjoyed your story. I envy you guys that get to know deer over several seasons.

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:06 am

Kenn don't let that frustration sink in, just shoot whatever you want and be happy with it. We are focused on mature bucks here but at the same time I haven't seen any negative comments when people are shoot younger deer, in fact I see nothing but positive comments no matter the size of the animal.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:08 am

Kenn don't let that frustration sink in, just shoot whatever you want and be happy with it. We are focused on mature bucks here but at the same time I haven't seen any negative comments when people are shoot younger deer, in fact I see nothing but positive comments no matter the size of the animal.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:22 am

headgear wrote:Kenn don't let that frustration sink in, just shoot whatever you want and be happy with it. We are focused on mature bucks here but at the same time I haven't seen any negative comments when people are shoot younger deer, in fact I see nothing but positive comments no matter the size of the animal.

X2

Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:09 am

DaveT1963 wrote:I think it depends on what stage in the hunter cycle you are in. When I first took up trad archery is was important for me to get some deer under my belt. As seasons passed and I had taken a lot of deer I soon turned to better class bucks. Now, heading into my silver years I tend to focus on a specific buck. While it usually is an older buck it may or may not be classified as a trophy. To me it is the cat and mouse game that pursues (and I usually lose) that excites me. Finding that buck out and then working at finding and exploiting a weakness in his routine. I usually have five or six specific bucks scattered across several hunting areas that I am after on any given year. And then there is always the occasional surprise that just shows up. But for me, now, it is taking a specific buck on purpose - or at least trying to.

I remember a buck from a few years ago that I had pursued for a four years. When I first saw him I guess he as 4 1/2 maybe 5 1/2. I hunted for him for three years hard and we had many encounters but he always managed to avoid an arrow. Finally on the fourth year I got my opportunity. He had gone down dramatically in score. At one time he was a prime and majestic five year old sporting a 160 inch ten point typical rack. On that day he was what I guess to be a 125 inch nine point. His face had greyed up quit a bit since the last time I had seen him. His gate was slower and much more purposeful and his body had lost significant mass.... further proof that he was probably 9 1/2 years old or perhaps even older?

I had him at 18 yards totally unaware and broadside.... a shot I don't miss very often. As I drew and picked a spot tight to his right shoulder, I knew immediately I wasn't going to let loose an arrow. We had to much history together and he had completely won over my respect by then. He had done what few bucks had done, he had avoided my best efforts over many seasons. Usually I get my buck; that or nature, car or another hunter does. I have seldom had the opportunity to hunt a mature buck for four years in a row. This had become more then just a hunt for a trophy.

As I let down my longbow, he must have heard me because he stopped and looked right at me. I made no effort to hide or to conceal my presence, and I know that buck knew I was there. Our eyes met for a brief moment and for me it was a moment of deep respect, satisfaction and most of all gratitude. A moment like I have seldom felt out in the woods before or since. He did not blow, alert or run, he just looked for a second or two and then continued on his way. He disappeared into a woodlot to the North where we had shared so many of our encounters together. Maybe the above recollection is my over dramatizing the scene as it played out from my perspective? Maybe it was just what I wanted that moment to be? Who knows but it is as real today sitting here typing about it as it was that cold November 3rd morning in the Montana wilderness.

I never saw that buck again - I would like to think he fell asleep somewhere and passed on to the next life in peace. I know it is corny and animals supposedly don't reason, but I hope that old monarch felt what I did at that moment when our eyes met for the last time. I hope that he could look back on the last four years and think like I did "that was one heck of a match"

To this day that is the buck I think of the most when I look back on 35+ years of hunting with stick and string. Those deer or memories don't come along very often..... and for me, at this stage, that is what epitomizes "the hunt" for me.

So, in the final analysis, only you can make that call.... and only you have the right to make that call. Follow your heart.

Awesome Dave, those moments are what make hunting my passion. I agree with you that it depends on where your at as a hunter to,for some a trophy is a score, others a trophy is a spike buck, for me a trophy is made by the path you took to get there, whether it's a squirrel or a b&c buck, it's the spirit behind hunting that makes trophies for me

deereload

Unread postby deereload » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:44 pm

set goals not standards - what might be sub par to me might be par for you - ya know what i mean -
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:34 pm

Yeah I know what you mean.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”